Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Honda Civic EX Compliance bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lynn70 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Honda Civic EX Compliance bushings

I hope someone can help me!! I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX with only 35,560 miles on it and when I went in for an oil change (at the dealer) last weekend, they told me that my compliance bushings are starting to tear and need to be replaced. I had never heard of this and neither did my dad. Is this a common thing? Even at such a low mileage? They told me that, along with a front wheel alignment, would cost around $550. Help!?! Any info would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2008
Registered!!

craigukun is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2002 Honda Civic EX Compliance bushings

I just got back from the dealer today for this exact same thing. I went in for an oil change and asked them to look at the power steering system since the car lost power steering. (Still don't know how.) They looked over the car and saw the front LCA compliance bushings were shot... same thing with the front struts.

This is on a car with 31k miles that my sister drives to and from college and doing other normal stuff.

02 civic ex sedan

Labor was the killing factor. The bushings themselves are cheap, but labor + alignment is what brings up the price.
Old 05-12-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

go to www.energysuspensionparts.com, and order their lower control arm bushing set, they are 50 bucks, and last a lot longer, then have them installed
Old 05-12-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

VERY common issue for them to tear. i just got my new ES bushings installed + alignment for $225 at sears which is reasonable since you will prolly never need to replace them again. that polyurethane is tough stuff and way better than oem rubber.
Old 05-12-2008
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

I ordered from those guys along with motor mount inserts last week, gonna get it installed on May 24th. I hope I receive it in time, since Im getting my Tokico blues installed too for $250, but Im gonna need an alignment too for like $90 elsewhere.
Old 01-07-2011
Registered!!

GaPeach is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2002 Civic EX - has about 73,000 miles and I took it to my independent mechanic (only honest mechanic that I know of) and he replaced the passenger side compliance bushings. Parts - 2 bushings - $28.16 and $190.00 labor (2.50 hrs at $76/hr) Total - $218.16.

Car had been making noise - when making sharp turns and hitting bumps. I didn't realize that the car was not driving as well as it usually does. What a difference!!

I have never taken any car of mine to the dealer for repairs - except recalls or warranty work. I have taken it there a couple of times for oil changes (my regular guy is 45 minutes away) and every time the dealer guy comes back with several things (expensive things) that needed to be done and my guy would check and say - not yet. They have tried to get me to do the timing belt - my guy says it's not necessary yet - because of the type of driving I do. He checks it every time I'm there.

This Civic has been the cheapest cars to maintain - I hope I'm not jinxing myself. The only pricey maintenance was I had to replace the AC this past summer.
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

GaPeach is an unknown quantity at this point

My only advice to you Lynn - is NEVER NEVER trust a car dealer's service department.

Find an honest independent repair shop.

I can't tell you how many times the dealer's shop has given me a list of things that required immediate attention. My regular guy didn't agree and car is fine.
Old 01-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I take my car to the dealer for service and I've never had a problem, I just tell them what I need done and ignore their random recommendations. The quality of work is good, they have all the proper tools, I know they're using Honda parts and they have accountability if something goes wrong.

They recommend service based on Honda's engineering specifications, unlike your mechanic GaPeach they can't recommend leaving a timing belt in past the required service intervals.
Old 01-09-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

thanks for updating the prices (last one was 2008 )
Old 01-09-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why dealers are recommending a timing belt change before the 100k interval. I highly doubt they are getting in there and doing a visual inspection because that is more work than they care to do without charging you for it. Anyway, this thread is a few years old but it is good to know newer prices since I will be replacing my bushings soon (Since they have 100k miles on them)
Old 01-09-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

because they need more money.
Old 01-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Because timing belts are rated for both age and mileage.
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

MoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gearbox
because they need more money.
Of course you mean "want", Gearbox. It's greed not necessity.
Old 01-09-2011
Premium Member

no they need it to pay for the plasma tvs in the lounge lol