Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

DRL Problem [solved]

Old 04-27-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grewowl is an unknown quantity at this point
DRL Problem [solved]

Hi folks, i have a 2001 Honda Civic Si (Canadian Model), lately I have noticed the DRL (Day Time Running Light) is on, when this happens the right head light does not come on at full strenth and high beam on left light does not work.

At first the problem would go away after 15 sec. once the car starts but now its more permanent. The only way to over-ride this problem is by turning on the headlights. Initially, I thought it was the bulbs that had burned, it was replaced, but the problem still persist most of the time.

I realized there are many problematic scenarios like faulty relay, wiring and burned fuses. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated cuz. I want to exhaust my research before taking the car to the shop.

Cheers,
Old 04-27-2008
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
re: DRL Problem [solved]

I would suspect the DRL control unit. You could try tapping the unit and gently moving the connector with the DRLs on in failed state and look for changes in operation (changes could indicate a possible cold solder joint)
Old 04-27-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

open up the module (behind the hood release lever) and see what happened. there may be burnt wires or relay.
Old 04-28-2008
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

I had the same problem. When mine does that, there would be a buzzing sound coming from the passenger side under the dash somewhere. I was told it was a relay and it would cost a lot to fix. So I just turned on the headlights all the time to solve the problem...until one day I forgot to turn off the headlights and it drained my battery. After that, the next day I disabled the DRL instead. So far I havent had any trouble without them on.
Old 09-03-2008
Registered!!

Hondagirl01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same damn problem. I just switch on the high beam lights (during the day) and the buzzing went away. So it could temporarily be fixed by turning off the relay? Where could I find that? Thanks!
Old 09-03-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

you switch them on during the day? doesnt that **** people off? or do you mean that you just flick them on and off and that makes it go away?

anyway, you dont need to mess with a relay or anything to disable them, just remove the drl fuse in the fusebox located just above your battery. your drl wont work without that fuse in place.

i personally think theyre pretty useless except for maybe when its really rainy or foggy, but in that case you just turn your light switch once to get your signals/parking lights on. i havent had my drl lights in about 2.5 years and ive never had a problem. my hid kit got rid of my drl/high beams which i dont need either of. i just have regular evening headlights.
Old 05-25-2009
Registered!!

JerryLee will become famous soon enough

I have had the same problem (2001 Civic LX, right head light DRL) for one year. It got worse in the past couple of months. I just turned on the head lights all the time to get rid of the buzzing. I checked the wiring diagram and suspect the DRL module. I found a clue at wikianswers and took out the DRL module board. Crack solder points found at the relay pins(check the picture). Resoldered them, no more buzzing and the right head light is back in DRL status. This saved me at least $150.
Crack solder points are common when the pins are over heated. I believe this issue is common on this batch of DRL boards. You will see it sooner or later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DRL.JPG
Views:	25365
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	76593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Box.JPG
Views:	63520
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	76594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.JPG
Views:	15659
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	76595  
Old 05-25-2009
Registered!!

Juan P is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe a bad ground? my friends prelude had a bad ground and his passenger side headlight was really dim and he just added another ground and now they are both bright as ****.
Old 05-25-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah many circuit boards have heat/solder issues including drl, main relays, and led tails. glad you fixed it.
Old 05-26-2009

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Finally someone posted a solution !!!

Those contacts are for the switch terminals of the relay's (must be one for each headlight)

I would solder both relays contacts while you have it apart... and also the smaller leads for the relay coils should be touched up as well.
Old 05-26-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by grewowl
the DRL (Day Time Running Light)
Daytime Running Lamps
Originally Posted by unTuned
i personally think theyre pretty useless except for maybe when its really rainy or foggy,
I thought so too until I drove around the USA with a rental and forgot that my headlights didn't come on automatically. I had people pulling U-turns right in front of me, pulling out and cutting me off, it was madness. I was afraid to drive with my headlights off after that.
Old 03-21-2010
Registered!!

EL Mike 03 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had the same problem with my 2003 Acura (Buzzing, no right head light DRL and no right high beam).
JerryLee and CraigW were right. helpful pics.

Last edited by EL Mike 03; 03-21-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: No pics
Old 03-23-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DeX
Daytime Running Lamps

I thought so too until I drove around the USA with a rental and forgot that my headlights didn't come on automatically. I had people pulling U-turns right in front of me, pulling out and cutting me off, it was madness. I was afraid to drive with my headlights off after that.
with the average US driver, DRL will not really help you... back mirror is for make-up there...
Some canadian drivers are the same, to... some did cross 3 lanes right in front of me without even looking at mirror, or even if they did, did not care anyways...
Old 03-24-2010

Thanks for those pictures, those are the classic poor solder joints for sure. They have the black ring present, easy fix once you know.

You should also do the other relay and the board connector stake pins as well while you have it apart.

As far as idiot drivers go... It has certainly gotten out of hand these days. You have to be on guard at all times. I can only hang my head in shame, driving used to be fun back in the day now it's a challenge, and Honda refuses to give us a horn to use... probably cost them $1.00 more in cost. Really sucks.
Old 03-26-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CraigW
As far as idiot drivers go... It has certainly gotten out of hand these days. You have to be on guard at all times. I can only hang my head in shame, driving used to be fun back in the day now it's a challenge, and Honda refuses to give us a horn to use... probably cost them $1.00 more in cost. Really sucks.
agree
Old 07-04-2010
Registered!!

SSMEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Heys guys, I'm bringing this topic back to life since I have the same problem now for the past 6 months. Where is the DRL fuse located? Under the hood or the drivers die fuse box? I checked under the hood fuse box but non of them are labeled DRL fuse. Thanks
Old 07-05-2010

Fuse #12 7.5 amps under dash box.
Old 07-14-2010
Registered!!

mc670 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DDragon7
I had the same problem. When mine does that, there would be a buzzing sound coming from the passenger side under the dash somewhere. I was told it was a relay and it would cost a lot to fix. So I just turned on the headlights all the time to solve the problem...until one day I forgot to turn off the headlights and it drained my battery. After that, the next day I disabled the DRL instead. So far I havent had any trouble without them on.
How did you go about disabling the drl's? anyways?
Old 10-20-2010
Registered!!

phlegm is an unknown quantity at this point

Wanted to thank everyone for the help with this fix. I have a 2001 Acura EL (bascially a re-branded Civic - Canada only model for Acura), with a similar problem: DRL warning light and left highbeam wouldn't work, even though bulb was fine.

Simply re soldering the indicated areas on the DRL relay box did the trick.

Some quick notes for those who may be working on the issue now:

1. I recall a thread where someone had to unbolt the relay box to remove it. No need to do this - just push it up and it should slide off the support bracket. Took a lot of force, but it does eventually slide off - no need to undo the bolt.

2. The location, if you're having trouble finding it, is beneath the steering wheel, to the left - behind and above the trunk release. You only have to remove the 2 panels there to get at it - fairly easy. Only grey box in that area.

Thanks again folks.
Old 12-11-2010
Registered!!

leosar is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks to all of members
Old 06-30-2011
Registered!!

saeed61 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have same problem. where is this circuit board located?
Old 06-30-2011

IIRC it is to the side of the steering column. (left side looking from driving position) The pix should make it easy to locate.
Old 07-22-2012
Registered!!

carlos58 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just fixed my 2004 Si by removing the module and re-soldering the relays cracked joints. Two of the joints were cracked.
The module is a grey plastic box about 1.5" x 3" x 5" located below the steering column.
Unplug the connector going to it, pull the box out, pull the board out and look for cracked joints. Very common problem.
I found this video very instructive:

I read that other models may use remote relays located under the glove compartment. Not mine.

Best of luck!
Old 10-06-2012
Registered!!

oh_to_acura is an unknown quantity at this point

I just fixed my 2002 Acura EL using the techniques described earlier. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-15-2012
Registered!!

Mike_47 is an unknown quantity at this point

this works on my car to thanks for the help everyone
My car is a 2004 honda civic dx special edition the DRL
light was on and the daytime running lights did not work
at all and when a turn my lights on then high beams only
the Left high beam worked didnt seem like just the daytime running light module
but it was and now everything works like new.
Old 11-18-2012
Registered!!

geo_chuat is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2002 civic and my DRL indicator is on, and my left high beam is out. I changed the left bulb but it is still same. I will try to resolder the points on the module as shown on the video and see if it works. Thanks for the video.
Old 11-20-2012
Registered!!

Mike_47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geo_chuat
I have a 2002 civic and my DRL indicator is on, and my left high beam is out. I changed the left bulb but it is still same. I will try to resolder the points on the module as shown on the video and see if it works. Thanks for the video.
Hi i thought it was the bulb to i changed the bulb noticed the filament was not burned out in the old bulb changed it anyways it still did not work, then found this forum and soldered the DRL module board and it fixed my DRL and my high beam not working, it almost certainly will fix your problem if you solder the DRL module board.

Last edited by Mike_47; 11-20-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-21-2012
Registered!!

philcig is an unknown quantity at this point

Figured out what the annoying buzzing sound was related to, Googled, and found this forum and also this page, which is great http://www.nyx.net/~smanley/hondadrlfix/index.html
Turns out I had 2 cracked solder joints, the same 2 as Jerry Lee.
Thanks, everyone.
BWT, anyone know why the buzzing seems to come from the passenger side while the DRL box I fixed is on the left of the driver's side?
Old 11-22-2012

^^^I think there is a relay associated with drl behind the glove box area.
Old 06-09-2014
Registered!!

catecardvd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grewowl
Hi folks, i have a 2001 Honda Civic Si (Canadian Model), lately I have noticed the DRL (Day Time Running Light) is on, when this happens the right head light does not come on at full strenth and high beam on left light does not work.
Hi, I am a supplier for DRL; I think it may be relative to the DRL's control logic.
Some supplier design the drl to be dimmed(half brightness) or off when the headlights(or turning light) is on, when the headlights if off, DRL will return the original status. When the power engine is off, the DRL will still keep staying on for 10~20 secs before turn off. Some suppliers' design will do nothing when the headlight is on.
For the sound, I think it comes from the power control box. But I am not quite sure what exactly it happens.

http://www.catecardvd.com/products/d...012-cd253.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DRL Problem [solved]