Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Buzzing/whirring sound during ignition

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
axplayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Buzzing/whirring sound during ignition

I have a 2004 Civic LX coupe and the warranty just expired (go figure).

For the last month or so I have had this problem and it is getting worse by the week.

As I'm turning the key from position 2 to ignition, right before the engine turns over I hear this weird buzzing/whirring sound in the steering column. I guess it could also be described as like electrical 'spitting', like the sound you hear when you touch 2 live wires together but in rapid succession like a machine gun. If I continue turning the key the noise stops and it will start up just fine. I've never had a problem with it not starting but I want to address this now before it gets worse and I end up stuck dead in the water at an inconvenient time or place.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be and/or how much it would cost at the dealer to fix (if that's the route I need to take)? Thanks!

Last edited by axplayer; 11-30-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
its been talked about before.

its normal.
Old 11-30-2006
Registered!!

axplayer is an unknown quantity at this point
You are absolutely right, it has been talked about before, I saw the thread after I posted this and I apologize for the duplicate. However, 'normal' or not, I want to get it fixed and I did not see a solution in the prior discussion. I'll take it to the shop if that is what it takes, I just want to see if there is anything I can do about it myself before I resort to that. If anyone else has experienced this problem please tell me what you did to fix it and how much $ it costed. Thx!
Old 11-30-2006

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
have you tried turning the key faster?
Old 12-01-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
yes its a normal noise. if you turn the key slowly you will hear it. but if you turn it fast, you wont hear it.

Now you say normal or not, I want it fixed, you cant fix something that is normal operation.
Old 12-01-2006

lol ^
Old 12-07-2006
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
Some days are worse than others. Some times it sounds like i'm gonna get electricuted ha ha!
Old 06-30-2011
Registered!!

saeed61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Buzzing/whirring sound during ignition

I have exactly the same problem. How could this be normal? It just started happening 3 weeks ago in my car. Never happened in the last 7 years before.

Another thing, sometimes the sound keeps coming even after the car is started and only goes away when I start driving, sometimes it stops after starting and sometimes no hissing sound at all.

This is definitely not normal. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

DL1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2007 civic and it does this all the time.I get the same buzzing noise(starter cut relay) whenever I try to start the car, but it does not do it evertime I try to start it. This has beed going on sence i got the car.
Turn the key fast, no does not hlpe same buzzing noise some times. Turn the key slow you will hear the starter cut relay buzz before starting. Honda know's how to fix it but wont. just like the 3 gear problem, took two years before they would fix my car.

Last edited by DL1970; 01-14-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DL1970
I have a 2007 civic and it does this all the time.I get the same buzzing noise(starter cut relay) whenever I try to start the car, but it does not do it evertime I try to start it. This has beed going on sence i got the car.
Turn the key fast, no does not hlpe same buzzing noise some times. Turn the key slow you will hear the starter cut relay buzz before starting. Honda know's how to fix it but wont. just like the 3 gear problem, took two years before they would fix my car.
so how was it fixed? starter cut relay was replaced? this is a common issue with newer hondas and most ppl just take honda's advice and just turn the key faster.
Old 01-14-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrchowmein
so how was it fixed? starter cut relay was replaced? this is a common issue with newer hondas and most ppl just take honda's advice and just turn the key faster.
ALL Hondas can be made to do it.
There is NO FIX except to educate the driver.
It is NORMAL.

From another post:
The noise is NOT new. It's been there all along, you just discovered it.
Totally normal when you turn the key too slow, it's the relay as stated above.
Turn the key faster is all you need to do.
No fix possible, they ALL can do it.
It is mentioned in an October 2001 Honda Service News article. Look it up. The article pulls up for all years and models when searching the Honda ISIS site.

(I think he was talking about his 3rd gear problem taking 2 years to fix: "just like the 3 gear problem, took two years before they would fix my car.")
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

LOL I never had this happen, next time I start my car I am going to try to make the noise.
Old 01-14-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
LOL I never had this happen, next time I start my car I am going to try to make the noise.
Turn the key r-e-a-l-l-y--s-l-o-w between "on" and "crank".

My 12 will do it.
Old 02-19-2012
Registered!!

DL1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 2006 Civic Si it did not have the problem and i put 30,000+ miles on it. My 2007 Civic Si Nav does it all the time. Sometimes it does not even start just buzzing sound. I have tried the starter cut relay did not work. Going to try the starter next. I heard somewere that someone did not start haveing the same problem until he change the starter. That is why i'm going to try the starter. If you find any thing out please email or post, thanks
Old 02-10-2020
Registered!!

Alohamjm is an unknown quantity at this point

So did anyone pin point what the buzzing is ? I turn the key and feel the relay is vibrating but changed it and still does it
Old 02-10-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Not getting sufficient power or ground
Old 02-13-2020
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
leok99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Common problem on Honda, Replace the ignition switch.

Old 02-08-2022
Registered!!

AZjohnny is an unknown quantity at this point

Just incase anyone is still reading this thread...It's not "normal". It's caused by insufficient or intermittent voltage to the relay or a poor ground. In the case of my 2004 Civic, which didn't do it until it was 18 years old, it was cause by wear inside the contact module on the end of the ignition switch opposite the key. This is what caused the intermittent voltage. I fixed it temporarily by wrapping tinfoil on the end of the mechanism that inserts into the module. Then I bought a new aftermarket module on Amazon for $14. I was a control electrician for 30+ years. Buzzy relays of any kind are not normal.

Last edited by AZjohnny; 02-09-2022 at 06:36 AM. Reason: More info
Old 08-22-2022
Registered!!

Akiren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AZjohnny
Just incase anyone is still reading this thread...It's not "normal". It's caused by insufficient or intermittent voltage to the relay or a poor ground. In the case of my 2004 Civic, which didn't do it until it was 18 years old, it was cause by wear inside the contact module on the end of the ignition switch opposite the key. This is what caused the intermittent voltage. I fixed it temporarily by wrapping tinfoil on the end of the mechanism that inserts into the module. Then I bought a new aftermarket module on Amazon for $14. I was a control electrician for 30+ years. Buzzy relays of any kind are not normal.

Did you replace the whole igntion control or the ignition
what part exactly cause my civic is dead in the water right now
Old 08-22-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Check your power and grounds