Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C not blowing cold air. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bymitten is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A/C not blowing cold air. HELP!

I've tried browsing through the forums to find the answer I'm looking for, but had no luck.

My problem is my air conditioner isn't blowing cold air at all! When I purchased my 2001 Honda Civic back in Nov. 05, it worked great, although I never used it because winter was right around the corner. But come spring/summer time when I needed it, I'd turn the a/c on, I can here the compressor turn on and feel the air blowing but it's warm! (yes the dial was turned to cold and the A/C button was illuminated) I'd let it run for a good 30 mins but the air blowing was still warm!

Anyone think they know what's wrong? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2006
Registered!!

Axe Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, chances are your A/C system has a slow leak and the R134A refrigerant is low. Any competent shop who works on A/C systems can quickly isolate the leak and recharge your system.
Old 10-08-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
yes you may have a leak, but you may have other issues as well. just cause you here the compressor kick on, doesnt mean its doing its job. you could have damaged valves in the compressor. you may have a faulty pressure switch. or faulty expansion valve.
Old 10-08-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
take it to the freeway at 65mph or higher for at least 20 mins. make sure to keep your speed constant whatever you choose. put the cruise on and then turn to ac on full blast with the recirc button also pressed. if after 20 mins it feels a lil colder then youre prolly just low on r134a. if its the same warm air, then theres problem with the system. could be alot of things actually not just compressor.

ive done this when mine was only blowing semi cold air, by the end it was ice cold. also if the ac isnt used at least once a week to circulate the lubricants, there is a higher chance it will fail later on. not using ac the whole winter is a bad idea. remember you dont have to have the dial set to cold, you can set it to heat and still turn on ac just to keep it working properly.
Old 10-08-2006
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
sounds like a leak.. not a big deal...

you can also recharge it yourself.. r134a.. aka the blue bottle
they also sell recharge kits at autozone and such
Old 10-08-2006
Registered!!

Thumbs up

Wow! You guys are quick to help! Yeah, I knew I should have ran the a/c for a bit once in a while to keep things lubricated, slipped my mind I guess. But thanks for the info, I'll get it looked at after the winter months.
Old 10-12-2006
Registered!!

timbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Also check the blend door to make sure it is switching from hot to cold
Old 10-12-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by timbo
Also check the blend door to make sure it is switching from hot to cold
Blend door?? From that answer, you can guess that I'm not very mechanically inclind. (in cars anyways). Can you tell me where to look and/or "show" (photos) what to do to check this? Much appreciated!
Old 10-16-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
blend door is basiicaly the door which overlaps the heat and a/c. The blend door might be not working properly.

but get it checked out, probably leaking/low on r134a