Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cutting off Catalytic Converter??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
Cutting off Catalytic Converter??

Well, not always but sometimes, my Catalytic Converter will make this nasty screeching//rattling sound. But if i wore to push//hold my muffler pipe it would stop. I was thinking to just cut the ****ing thing off, but I don't rly know what it even does? Is it that important? I know its illegal...but what other loses would i gain from loosing it??
Old 06-08-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
killahsi2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

damn dog u dont wana get rid of dat cat.cuse dat means problems everwhere. ur car will throw mad check engine light and it will also put out black smoke and have a hard *** time startin it. also will not pass state emissions. people only do dat if they runnin a track car. our cars lives off dat cat. it has dat ULEV system u dont wana run without 1. just buy a cheap 1 off ebay they onlu cost like 80 at most and they all bolt on. be easy.
Old 06-08-2006
I Pinch.

Sinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by killahsi2003
damn dog u dont wana get rid of dat cat.cuse dat means problems everwhere. ur car will throw mad check engine light and it will also put out black smoke and have a hard *** time startin it. also will not pass state emissions. people only do dat if they runnin a track car. our cars lives off dat cat. it has dat ULEV system u dont wana run without 1. just buy a cheap 1 off ebay they onlu cost like 80 at most and they all bolt on. be easy.
Was that post in english? Because I couldn't understand a gorramn word of it.

Anyways, I'd say it's a pretty bad idea to just remove the cat. Like killahsi said, it won't pass emisions, will probably throw codes and will, in general, suck.

I'd save up and get a cat-back system instead of buying some crappy ebay thing. Check the for sale forums and good luck.
Old 06-09-2006
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
there are plenty easy ways to fix the cel with the cat off. You can go to autozone and buy a spark plug non fouler and fit it in the fitting of the o2 bung then plug the sensor behind, but it does require some more research and some modifying but nothing to the car, only the 5 dollar part from autozone.
I would reccommend you purchase a megan racing dp if ur car is an ex. Cutting off the factory cat means ull lose ur converter without a replacement, whereas buying a 50$ dp will increase ur hp and enable u to keep ur existing cat/dp for future emmissions tests.
only downpart is smelly exhaust/black smoke and cel which u can easily get around.