Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ac Smells Like Rotten Eggs???

Old 09-17-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mackin is an unknown quantity at this point
Ac Smells Like Rotten Eggs???

Hi everyone,

is there anyway to clean my air conditioning system at home?
when ever i turn my AC on, this stinky smell would come out for like the first 2-3 mins and the goes away after that until i turn it off and turn it on a while later?
anyone can help me fix the problem>?

thanks
Old 09-17-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
that smell is probably there because you keep the system in recirculate mode. That first button to the left of the AC. First you need to clear out the mildew thats been growing. Warm up the car to temp and then blast the heater for 5 mins at least. That will kill everything and clear out the smell for later. If you keep the vent on fresh air mode, it shouldn't come back again. Also after using the ac, leave the fan vent open when you shut off the car. I used to have the same rotten smell and now it never smells at all.
Old 09-17-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
wait are you talking about a HOME air conditioner? If so then you just need to replace the filter screen.
Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

EX4Dr is an unknown quantity at this point
Use Lysol to kill the mildew. Next time you are going to turn off the AC, set it to fan only for 2-3 minutes to dry out the condensation before completely shutting it down. Once dry, mildew will not have a chance to grow.
Old 09-19-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Have you checked the filter for the interior? IF not check those out and see what they look like.
Old 09-24-2005
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gearbox
that smell is probably there because you keep the system in recirculate mode. That first button to the left of the AC. First you need to clear out the mildew thats been growing. Warm up the car to temp and then blast the heater for 5 mins at least. That will kill everything and clear out the smell for later. If you keep the vent on fresh air mode, it shouldn't come back again. Also after using the ac, leave the fan vent open when you shut off the car. I used to have the same rotten smell and now it never smells at all.
Way to go.
That helped me...
Old 10-08-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AntiLoop will become famous soon enough
Change the cabin filters !!! My A/C system smelled like crap everytime i shut the A/C off. Ever since I changed the cabin filter the smell is gone..
Old 10-09-2005
Registered!!

D17CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
did u check to see if u have an egg somewhere? that same thing happened to me.... come to find out i had a busted egg and after i cleaned it up no more smell
Old 10-10-2005
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by D17CivicEX
did u check to see if u have an egg somewhere? that same thing happened to me.... come to find out i had a busted egg and after i cleaned it up no more smell
Ok...
LOL
Old 10-24-2005
Registered!!

allblack02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by AntiLoop
Change the cabin filters !!! My A/C system smelled like crap everytime i shut the A/C off. Ever since I changed the cabin filter the smell is gone..
hey guys just wondering about the cabin filter.... where would it be located? im new to the civic world.... thanks alot!
Old 10-24-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AntiLoop will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by allblack02
hey guys just wondering about the cabin filter.... where would it be located? im new to the civic world.... thanks alot!
right behind the glove box.. very easy to install ... takes 5 minutes!
Old 10-24-2005
Registered!!

allblack02 is an unknown quantity at this point
yea i searched a little more and found what i was looking for.... gosh what a noob! lol thanks alot though man.... this site is so helpful!!