Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Maintenance required light

Old 09-24-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Maintenance required light

Nobody is allowed to post about this ever again! I will delete your thread no questions asked if I see it. You should know better than this. I will explain once and only once so that it doesn't get asked again.

Think of the light as a reminder. It has absolutely nothing to do with the condition of your car. It just comes on at certain mileage intervals programmed by Honda. The stupid ones rush to the dealer and get the $500 service pack which includes an oil change and inspection. Most of us here do that stuff ourselves.

The light flashes and goes off at first, but after a while it will just stay on. Again, so those that don't know will take it in. It has nothing to do with any of the recommended service intervals.

Turning off the light:

The answer is even in your manual! Hold down the trip meter button, turn the car to on, wait about 20 seconds, start the car, and let go of the button. Light is reset until the next mileage interval.

*make sure lo beam headlights are turned OFF during the procedure*

-----------------------------------------------------
Posted by Metallica454:

Hopefully people will read this before posting anymore questions about it.

(Ref. Owner's Manual pages 67-68) The maintenance required light in our dash is a reminder to bring the car in for scheduled maintenance (every 10,000 miles). The light will flash after start up for 10 seconds once you are 2000 miles from the car's scheduled maintenance. Once you pass the scheduled maintencance mark (every 10,000 miles) without having the maintenanced performed and/or the light reset by the dealer, it will remain on forever unless reset. To reset it yourself, press and hold down the odometer button as you start your car. Continue holding it for 10 seconds and the light will reset itself. You DO NOT have to take the car in for it to be reset. Scheduled maintenance is like oil/filter changes, belts, etc. Look in your owner's manual (pages 194-198).

I hope this answers your questions.

Last edited by gearbox; 11-16-2010 at 08:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gearbox:
Abrah4m (08-23-2022), Robert Salazar (08-23-2020)
Old 09-24-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bakuretsu is an unknown quantity at this point
That is exactly the description that was missing in ALL of the other posts on this topic! Thank you! This should be sticky, in my opinion. Especially since everyone gets all hot under the collar about it.

It seems to come on more frequently than the recommended time between oil changes listed in the manual. I guess this is a workaround for making a really damned good engine... ("Well, it WILL go 10,000 miles... But this little light will get them in.")

For what it's worth, I'll never ask THAT question again.
Old 09-24-2004
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
lol-gearbox is funny
Old 09-26-2004
Registered!!

jkob2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
gearbox is cool
Old 12-07-2004
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
I sent him a PM on how do i get the light to turn off....

Man im Gonna get my *** Banned for this im sure..

lolllllllllllllll
Old 12-07-2004

starstryke is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually, it's legal to say how to turn it off, I believe it's on page 57 of the owner's manual.

Turn the car off, hold down the right **** (tripmeter).. while holding it turn your key to the 2nd position and keep holding it for 10 seconds..

It's in print and available to every person who buys a car with that info.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoops, overread, it was a pm... lol.
Old 12-07-2004
Registered!!

nickm748 is an unknown quantity at this point
Man this is awsome iv been wondering this for a long time

Thanks gearbox
Old 12-07-2004

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Yeah i wanted to anoy him a bit with the question so I pm'ed him about it......
Old 12-20-2004
Registered!!

StealthCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea, cool it is a sticky, it is a ploy by Honda to get poor souls to waste their $$$ for nothing! We can do all the maintenance required ourselves! It should be called the money making light that comes on!
Old 12-21-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
it is a good reminder, however, some ppl seem to freak out about it
Old 12-21-2004
Registered!!

ArthurBrazil will become famous soon enoughArthurBrazil will become famous soon enough
props gearbox
Old 01-03-2005
The Beer-man

Metallica454 is an unknown quantity at this point
Taking credit for my topic Gearbox??? That little addition?
Old 01-03-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm... quote button didn't work after pasting it. Fixed now.
Old 01-03-2005
The Beer-man

Metallica454 is an unknown quantity at this point
i was just kidding...but ok...cool.
Old 01-31-2005
Registered!!

18rbetter is an unknown quantity at this point
ive tried doing this like everyday and the light wont go off.
Old 01-31-2005
Premium Member

push in the odometer button, turn the car to ON position, wait about a minute, then let it go and turn off car. You're prolly not waiting long enough.
Old 01-31-2005

Originally Posted by gearbox
push in the odometer button, turn the car to ON position, wait about a minute, then let it go and turn off car. You're prolly not waiting long enough.
Where is the odometer button??? Let go of what??? waiting long enough for what?????

Lolllllll

Good info
Old 01-31-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox

um I did, and 20 seconds is how long I wait..
Old 02-08-2005
Boosting Daily

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the rough
cool deal, thanx gearbox.
Old 02-20-2005
Registered!!

ok i did it right finally, i was doin it wrong b4, ima ***
Old 02-26-2005
Registered!!

cargeek68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by StealthCivic
Yea, cool it is a sticky, it is a ploy by Honda to get poor souls to waste their $$$ for nothing! We can do all the maintenance required ourselves! It should be called the money making light that comes on!
so, are you saying that whenever a car is taken in to the dealer all they do is to change the oil and filter? what about adjusting the valve clearances, changing the fuel filter, and plugging in diagnostic tools? i don't think these could be DIYs considering that an ordinary peep with a vic will not even bother to buy a diagnostic equipment. Oh well, just my opinion.
Old 02-26-2005
Premium Member

Most of those will never be needed. Fuel filter says every 100k miles, or if fuel pressure drops below factory spec (you have to pay extra for them to test that). Why would they plug in diagnostic tools? You can go to an auto parts store and they'll do that for free. Valve clearances should be adjusted only when noisy. Mine are still fine. It's much cleaper to take it there for one or two items. If I'm lazy, I would take it for a tranny fluid and oil change, maybe coolant change too. Alot of this stuff like air filter, plugs, cabin filters, etc can all be done yourself.
Old 05-03-2005
Registered!!

blackdragon will become famous soon enoughblackdragon will become famous soon enough
The engine light is like morse code or something. If u can read it, u could know what exactly its telling you. Mine started blinking 2 days ago and it blinked 10 times meaning something to do with my stock intake.

# Detection Item Probable Cause
1 Primary O2 Sensor Open or Short in O2 sensor circuit, bad Primary O2 sensor
3 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Open or short in MAP sensor circuit, bad MAPS
4 Crankshaft Position Sensor Failed sensor or timing belt slipped, bad CPS
5 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Reading too low or too high, bad MAP
6 Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Reading too low, high, short or open, bad ECT
7 Throttle Position Circuit Reading too high, low, short or open, bad TPS
8 Crankshaft Position Sensor/
Top Dead Center Sensor/
Cylinder Position Sensor/ CKP/TDC/CYP senso circuitdisconnected,open or short. Bad TDC senor.
9 Cylinder Position Sensor Open or short in CYP circuit, bad CYP sensor
10 Intake Air Temperature Sensor Short or open in AIT circuit, bad AITS
13 Barometric Pressure Sensor Circuit Bad ECM (Barometric sensor)
14 Idle Control System Malfunction Bad IAC valve, bad fast idle thermo valve, Throttle body
17 Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Short or open in VSS circuit, bad VSS
20 Electrical Load Detector Circuit Short or open in circuit, bad ELD
22 VTEC System Malfunction Short or open in VTEC circuit, bad VTEC solenoid valve, Bad VTEC pressure switch
23 Knock Sensor Circuit Short or open in Knock Sensor circuit, bad Knock Sensor
30 A/T FI Signal A high/low input Bad AFSA line, TCM
31 A/T FI Signal B high/low input Bad AFSB line, TCM
41 Primary Heated O2 Sensor Heater Open or short in Primary O2 sensor heater circuit
45 System too lean/rich Fuel supply system, Primary O2 sensor, MAP sensor, contaminated fuel, valve clearance, exhaust leakage
54 Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation Sensor Open or short in CKF circuit, bad CKF sensor
61 Primary Heated O2 Sensor Slow response, bad O2 sensor, exhaust leak
63 Secondary Heated O2 Sensor Slow response, bad O2 sensor, exhaust leak
65 Secondary Heated O2 Sensor Circuit Open or short in secondary O2 sensor circuit
67 Catalyst System Efficiency System below threshold, bad catalytic converter
70 Automatic Transaxle A/T transmission, A/T FI data line, TCM, ECM
71 Random Misfire (Cyl 1) Ignition system, fuel supply system, MAP sensor, IAC valve, contaminated fuel, lack of fuel, fuel injector, fuel injector circuit, low compression, valve clearance
72 Random Misfire (Cyl 2)
73 Random Misfire (Cyl 3)
74 Random Misfire (Cyl 4)
86 Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Bad ECT sensor, bad cooling system
90 Evap Emission Control System Leak Fuel cap loose, poor vacuum connection, fuel tank, fuel tank pressure sensor, EVAP bypass solenoid valve, EVAP tow-way valve, EVAP control canister vent shut valve, EVAP canister, EVAP purge control solenoid valve
91 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit Open or short in FTP circuit, Bad fuel tank pressure sensor
Old 05-06-2005
Registered!!

Chiguy_2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
I figured I would find the answer to this question here...Thanks a lot!!
Old 05-08-2005
Registered!!

In Catalyst is an unknown quantity at this point
This is a very informative thing to know... Question tho, how did 'we' learn that this is just a basic Honda factory pre-set reminder? Someone on the inside let it slip? ;P

But anyways thanks for the sticky, saved me from just being another noob.
Old 05-08-2005
Premium Member

it's in the owners manual.
Old 05-08-2005
Registered!!

In Catalyst is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by blackdragon
The engine light is like morse code or something. If u can read it, u could know what exactly its telling you. Mine started blinking 2 days ago and it blinked 10 times meaning something to do with my stock intake.

Whoa. How the **** did you figure that out?

*Mine started blinking the day I lowered my car on tien s-tech springs... I figured I jack something up. **My roomates started blinking after he install his Tsunami body kit, he assumed he clipped a wire or something. Guess i'll go try and count the flashes. Thats nuts...

Old 05-18-2005
Registered!!

Remigijus is an unknown quantity at this point
My "maintenence required" light does not reset.
I'm not sure is it the same light I have a problem with. It is a small yallow engine simbol (reminding me a amall airplane
So, is this "maintenence required" light? It came on one day without blinking. Just came on and stayed on.
How the reset procedure is done?
Do I have to press the odometer button when the key is in the position where I can take it out? Do I have to start the engine while holding the button? Do I have to release the button before turning off the engine?
Old 05-18-2005
Premium Member

you have the check engine light (malfunction). It means something is wrong with the car. You can have the code checked free at some auto parts stores with odbii reader. Then match the code with the problems in tech forum sticky post. If you fix the problem, reset the light by pulling the battery negative terminal or the FI ECU fuse for a few seconds and plug it back.
Old 08-30-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
stupid light

it wont reset until it stays solid right?

(can't reset it while its still blinking)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maintenance required light