Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

How to use rubbing compound on fresh paint? *new question*

Old 02-27-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wonderz is on a distinguished road
Question How to use rubbing compound on fresh paint? *new question*

----new----
so I applied some rubbing compond on the newly painted part of the bumper after waiting 5 days. now that spot looks "dull", but its more smooth than before. I think i already applied enough clear coat (~3 layers) and the 3M rubbing compond says "clear coat safe". Any idea how I can make the part "shrine" again?

-----old----
does anyone know how long do i have to wait after a fresh paint job to use rubbing compound? the spray can says wait 48 hours, is it enough? this is just for some small area that been spray painted to cover the scratches btw.

Last edited by wonderz; 03-03-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

danase is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by wonderz
does anyone know how long do i have to wait after a fresh paint job to use rubbing compound? the spray can says wait 48 hours, is it enough? this is just for some small area that been spray painted to cover the scratches btw.
Whever I do a spray paint job I always spray it, let is dry a day, wet sand it, then polish it smooth.
Old 02-28-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold

If you just got body work done, you shouldn't wax it for at least a month. I've seen people try to wax a hood a day after it got repainted and it took the paint right off. It probably depends on how long the paint has had to cure. Rubbing compound is a lot more abrasive than wax, so....
Old 02-28-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
more like 3 months
Old 02-28-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
thats what i was thinking. I shaved my trunk a year and a half ago and still havent waxed it. better safe than sorry.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

Guys, he is talking about rubbing compound and polishes, not wax. The only reason not to use a wax or a sealant on the paint is because the clear will not cure properly. That is what the 3 months is about. When you have body work done they polish it before you get is back, and if they didn't your paint would look like garbage. So, to say you have to wait 3 months to polish is not right at all. As long as you use a body shop safe polish you can go to town on it right now.

I use Poorboy's Polishes and I know Mequiars and 3M both make body shop safe polishes and compounds.

Last edited by danase; 02-28-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by danase
Guys, he is talking about rubbing compound and polishes, not wax. The only reason not to use a wax or a sealant on the paint is because the clear will not cure properly. That is what the 3 months is about. When you have body work done they polish it before you get is back, and if they didn't your paint would look like garbage. So, to say you have to wait 3 months to polish is not right at all. As long as you use a body shop safe polish you can go to town on it right now.

I use Poorboy's Polishes and I know Mequiars and 3M both make body shop safe polishes and compounds.
thanks danase for clearing that up. rubbing compound is not the same thing as wax. and yeah, i got some 3m ones, i'll try it out to see how it goes.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

thanks danase for clearing that up. rubbing compound is not the same thing as wax. and yeah, i got some 3m ones, i'll try it out to see how it goes.
No problem-o. Just seems there is so many misconceptions about paint and paint care. I try to clear up things as much as possible.
Old 02-28-2005
Banned

MeguiarsEM is an unknown quantity at this point
You want to wait till the paint is dry. Just make sure the compound does not contain any silicone (most compounds don't). As far as waxing goes wait for about 90 days before you wax. In the mean time apply a pure polish for temporary protection.
Old 03-02-2005
Registered!!

auratika is an unknown quantity at this point
whats the difference between compounds that contain silicone and the ones that dont.
Old 03-02-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
MeguiarsEM what can I use on the car before the three months for wax?
Old 03-03-2005
Registered!!

bump for new question:
----new----
so I applied some rubbing compond on the newly painted part of the bumper after waiting 5 days. now that spot looks "dull", but its more smooth than before. I think i already applied enough clear coat (~3 layers) and the 3M rubbing compond says "clear coat safe". Any idea how I can make the part "shrine" again?
Old 03-04-2005
Registered!!

bump for new question:
----new----

Use a less aggressive polish. Step down to something really light abrassive and that should do the trick.