General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Anyone get a check engine light after installing header?

Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WeakVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone get a check engine light after installing header?

I just picked up the new OBX header released liek 3 days ago and am going to put it on. Just wondering if anyone has ever got a check enginne light from putting a header on your 2K1. I know my camaro did not, also does any sensor plug into the header? I didn't see any, but I havent had it off yet either.
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

zetaR is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a Kamikaze header on my 2k1 lx, and the CEL came on, but that's because the cat was removed. Also, you will get a CEL with the HP header w/high flow cat. To answer your question, if the OBX header is just the top piece like the DC Sports, then you shouldn't get a CEL unless you there's no place to hook up the O2 sensors. Then you might have a problem.

Oh yeah, BTW, if the CEL does come on, then you can get an O2 simulator to make it go off.
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

pounds is an unknown quantity at this point
yes there is a sensor that plugs into the header...

there have been many people have their check engine lights come on after they install a new header, however its almost always been with the hp header (someone correct me if im wrong), reason being, when you install one on an LX you have to remove the Cat.

if you have an EX and its just a bolt on then you should have no problem...if you do try and reset your ECU

p.s. this has been covered, search next time
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

ZetaR beat me to it.....and it seems i was wrong, it turns out its the Kamikaze header causing trouble
Old 09-10-2002
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
reset the ECU by taking one of the cables off for about 10 minutes. put it back on and start your car. Also drive around for a bit after resetting the ECU.
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
[hr]Originally posted by: robbclark1
reset the ECU by taking one of the cables off for about 10 minutes. put it back on and start your car. Also drive around for a bit after resetting the ECU.[hr]
rob beat me to it lol [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

OH heh forgot some critical details its a 2K1 EX and its only the pre-cat protion of header like the DC piece. I ported the thing too, so there is no sensor thus probably no CEL from that type of header correct?
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

uuuuuuuuuuuhhh....i think you NEED and o2 sensor...otherwise, your CEL WILL be on!
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

i meant that i think the 02 sensor is in the second part of the header i.e. collector to cat portion not in the primaries... i can't get a good luck at it without pulling it off just wondering if anyone knows if its in the collector or priaries portion of the ex header.
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRiceBoi is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: WeakVTEC
i meant that i think the 02 sensor is in the second part of the header i.e. collector to cat portion not in the primaries... i can't get a good luck at it without pulling it off just wondering if anyone knows if its in the collector or priaries portion of the ex header.[hr]
OMFG Learn to spell and form coherent sentences.

Also I don't know why but the OBX website lists the 01+ Civic as a 2.0 DOHC Engine so I think that the header is for Si/SiR applications only.
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

civichx81 is an unknown quantity at this point
how many of you guys are running your cars w/ your check engine light on because of your headers?just asking because im one of them and i have a sim chip and it broke and i have an air/fuel monitor and ive noticed when the check engine light comes on, our cars run lean
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

is running lean normal when the check engine light comes on. honda said its like a "safe mode"
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

NBPCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
You have the HP header right civichx? and you are running lean? I am still waiting to put mine on but didn't know i would be running lean.
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

im running lean because the checkengine light is on. honda says its a "safe mode".my o2 sim is burned out so my air/fuel monitor is reading lean. every time theres a problem w/ o2 sensors and the check engine light comes on, your ecu makes your engine run lean and not stoich. and i hear running lean is bad for the engine.someone correct me if im wrong so i can yell at my dealership for lieing to me.
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRiceBoi is an unknown quantity at this point
its true running lean puts alot of heat and strees on your internals and block and is bad for the car.
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

Honda would not make the car run lean as a part of 'safe mode' what safe mode does is disable vtec if applicable as well as reducing timing and the like. Honda wouldn't make a failsafe to hurt their own parts By the way I know that OBX side says the header is for a 2.0L, but they are a bunch of morons, I called them and they said it was a misprint but they have not fixed it yet. I held it up to my engine and all the bolts line up and its the same width and length so I hope the damn thing fits when I take everything apart. Anyways I still haven't got a solid answer, I found that the 02 sensor is after the header I am installing, it's on the collector, which is not being replaced. So has anyone with the 1-piece DC style header had a CEL come on?
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

hey weak vtec. do you have an a/f monitor?im serious. you gotta check it. ask someone else to look at their a/f when their check engine light is on. my readings are correct. its not completely lean cuz in the a/f guage there are 3 red leds which mean lean and lots of stoich, which are yellow and the green leds are rich. and i get 1 yellow. its disgusting. honda also says it could be running even leaner because of the aftermarket intake and exhaust.i think you can check your a/f ratio by using a voltmeter too. dont know how but its possible.