General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

replace tie rod end or others parts i might need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xgtcivicturbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question replace tie rod end or others parts i might need?

I drove 7th gen civic in the snow recently and when i turn at the intersection, i guess the road was frozen so my whole vehicle slide and hit passenger side where the wheel is at, the wheel hit the sidewalk and the front bumper. Now that i notice that my steering wheel is leaning toward right side of the passenger side, it not straight like it was before, i notice i need alignment to be done, Do you guys think i need tie rod end to be replace or any others mechanism need to be replace recomended? Much helps need and be appreciated. If i need to replace such and such how much will it cost the parts and the labor wise? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: replace tie rod end or others parts i might need?

TREs are a pretty easy fix for a DIYer. All you really need are some jack stands, a jack, some wrenches, sockets, a ratchet, and a pitman arm puller. You'll have to get it aligned once you're done, so you're covered there. Depending on how bad the damage is, I'd get everything checked out just in case. If you get tie rod ends, get the Moog ones. They're serviceable and, iirc, come with a lifetime warranty. Advance auto sells them. Don't know if Auto Zone or other stores sell them. They cost me about 50 or 60 bucks I think.

Last edited by MelJ; 01-07-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Go down to NTB and buy the $59.99 1-year unlimited alignment (prices may vary. lol). If they can't get it in alignment they'll tell ya what's broken/bent. Then you can fix it and bring it back for an alignment for the next year and don't have to pay anymore money. This has saved me a bunch of money over the years. The potholes around here are so bad I have to take it in for an alignment 3 or 4 times a year.
Old 01-07-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Damn. After hearing that lazlong, I won't complain about NYs roads. Lol.
Old 03-28-2011
Registered!!

bigheadmark is an unknown quantity at this point

re: Moog. other than having a lifetime warranty, and being serviceable (greasable?) are they better quality than OEM?
Old 03-28-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

^^ Yes. They are more robust. A side-by-side comparison will instantly show the difference.
Old 03-28-2011
Trance Addict

Originally Posted by lazlong
^^ Yes. They are more robust. A side-by-side comparison will instantly show the difference.
Definitely. Their sway bar links are also beefier. Plus, the Moog TREs, should have a grease fitting for service.
Old 03-28-2011
Registered!!

bigheadmark is an unknown quantity at this point

MELJ, would changing the sway bar link to a moog make a difference in performance? if so, how?
Old 03-28-2011
Trance Addict

My car didn't really "wobble" like it did when I took turns like it did when mine broke. Plus, the car was quiet again because it wasn't knocking against the car anymore. You might notice a slight increase in handling, but it's nothing to write home about. I'd still say if you haven't changed them, it wouldn't hurt anything I guess.
Old 03-28-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it will not give any better performance than the stock links. however the moog parts are much stronger and less prone to breaking.
Old 03-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
qijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to all

moog is just better overall. But there's probably bigger problems if the car doesn't drive straight after the accident.