General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

RPM'S Too High???

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01hx5 is an unknown quantity at this point
RPM'S Too High???

Alright well i donno if i will get any replys to this. Cause ppl with be like Noob this and noob that, tru i am a noob to civi's but i have had some fast stuff, givin this car of mine is slow but i like it anyway just because of the gas mileage and its a fun to drive, town ripper.....Any way on to my point, i find myself cruisin on the highway at 80 around 3 k rpms....(its and hx 5 speed, differnt ratios: Someone will say somethin about it and that i'm lying,) But when i'm playin around with cars or gettin it on some back roads i keep the r's around 4-5 k, is this bad i mean i run my car to the red Alot i know this is bad but i have always heard honda motors are so durable and stong so i wa just wondering will this car last if i keep runnin the hell outa it? i cahnge the oil evey 3-4 k and its usually honey colord and clean, i donno, just a random thought i had. i have a buddie with a 2000 ex and he never gets below 5 in that think and it has lasted forever like that and he always runs the hell outa it, i only have conserns because i have blew a few cars up now, 2.0 dohc eclipse turbos dont like 8300 redlines apparently rod barrings dont like it appreciate and thoughts of yours.
Old 10-04-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 01hx5
i know this is bad but i have always heard honda motors are so durable and stong so i wa just wondering will this car last if i keep runnin the hell outa it? i i only have conserns because i have blew a few cars up now, 2.0 dohc eclipse turbos dont like 8300 redlines apparently rod barrings dont like it
your car wont last forever if you run the hell out of it. Yes honda engines are durable, but they arent built to take the abuse of extreme driving. Not many engines are. And yes you will damage the engine if you keep going in the redline. Just like your eclipse rod bearings didnt like it, neither will the civics. There is no reason to be driving the hell out of it anyway, ITS A CIVIC HX. you arent even putting out 100 HP at the wheels, its not a corvette or 600 HP supra, its a fuel efficent civic. I am not going to call you a noob, but I now see why everyone always talks crap about hondas. It seems like if you have a honda, you have to race everyone. You arent going to win, so you might as well give up. Just drive normal.
Old 10-04-2005
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by streetglower
y It seems like if you have a honda, you have to race everyone. You arent going to win, so you might as well give up. Just drive normal.
in some circles, civic's kick ***....(89-92 civic si)
Old 10-04-2005
Registered!!

well dude i didnt say i was racin eveyone...on the other hand to preach to me and say that you never run your car hard. who cares what it puts tot he wheels.....give me a geo metro with a 3 cyl. aand i'll run the **** outa it too.
Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
No I dont run my car hard. I speed now and then, but again its a honda, not a corvette. I bought it for the fuel mileage and the reliability, and thats all its givin me so far. I am at almost 103K miles and have had no problems whatsoever. I even have the original drive belts on my car and neither are cracking.

But you asked if running the car hard would be bad for it, and the answer is yes. My best friend runs the hell out of her car, and she has only 80K miles on the car and it barely runs. ANd this is with tune ups and oil changes and what not.

I am not trying to preach to you, but if you drive your car like you stole it, dont expect it to be lasting 200K miles without some type of damage.
Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

man dont take me the wrong way from what i said last night, just wasnt in a good mood. Sorry for the reply like that, i understand my car isnt goin to last forever, all i meant to come to is i just wanted to know how these motors handled R's you know i mean some motors dont like them and want to be down low, then again some want to scream and it doesnt affect them,,,i know that rpms arnt your motors friend. Just sparkin up some convo but since it was only me and you it was kinda lackin, but thanks for replyin anyway
Old 10-05-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
RPM's are a horrible measurement, here is why:

RPM's don't mean a dam thing when it comes to wear and tear, it's actually piston velocity you need to look at. Piston velocity is what causes things to break, like the rod in your Eclipse. For instance, do you think the pistons in my GSR, which has a piston stroke of 3.189," compared to my truck that has a stroke of 4.16" are going faster at 3000 RPM's? Obivously the truck with longer stroke is going to have a much higher piston velocity than the GS-R, hence the GS-R will have have less wear at 3000 RPMS than the truck.

Honda was orginally a motorcycle company, motorcycles have EXTREMELY high RPMS because of a tiny stroke. When Honda started making cars, they applied the same theory to their car engines, of course more torque is needed, so a longer stroke than a motorcycle engine is needed (longer stroke gives you more torque while larger bores generally give more Horse power, GENERALLY). But Honda engines have always had very small strokes compares to most, specially domestic cars, hence the reason Honda's are known for not having much torque.

So getting back to the ware issue; since the piston velocity is slowwer at the same RPM's, Honda can generally take a higher RPMS than most cars, including the 4G63 engine, without having a problem. Going 4-5k is like going 3.5 to 4 in most American cars, you won't hurt it those ranges. Hitting the redline daily still is not a good idea though.

That being said, there is another VERY important issue to wear and tear, you engine oil. If you have recently changed the oil, you will cause less wear than if you are at the end of the oils useful life. I can make some reccomendations as to what you should and should not do, and the best oils to use, but that's a different post But just remember that your engine is better proteced after an oil change rather than after say 7,500 miles.

Last edited by Jrfish007; 10-05-2005 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-05-2005
Formerly efil on evol on

Cptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura about
jrfish knows wayyyyy too much
Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
damit i guess i should stop redlining my car everyday. but i let it warm up ebfore beating it. idk.
Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

Jrfish007 is The master....since i started here. He has been like my father, and never a ****....thanks man.
Old 10-05-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by exturbo6
damit i guess i should stop redlining my car everyday. but i let it warm up ebfore beating it. idk.

Warming up your car and the oil is very important!!!

Thanks everyone...
Old 10-05-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
i was on freeway with extranny going 140 mph, redline was close to 6500. I was going that mph for like couple mins maybe and that s how I blew the hg. I tried before going 120 etc and stick to 120 around 5k rpms on freeway speeds. my car didnt get damaged. When I pushed my car to the limits for a while lets say 5 mins with turbo on going 140 mph, untuned, I blew my hg thats all.

when I had my turbo in, I always drove 100+ mph for long periods of time because I drive around 40 miles to and from school and drive that fast the whole way, nothing ever broke.
Old 10-05-2005
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
Jrfish007: Wear, not ware.
Old 10-05-2005

Originally Posted by infinite012
Jrfish007: Wear, not ware.

lol.... yeah engineers can't spell... it's a rule of thumb
Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

sweeteli99 will become famous soon enoughsweeteli99 will become famous soon enough
noobs
Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 01hx5
man dont take me the wrong way from what i said last night, just wasnt in a good mood. Sorry for the reply like that, i understand my car isnt goin to last forever, all i meant to come to is i just wanted to know how these motors handled R's you know i mean some motors dont like them and want to be down low, then again some want to scream and it doesnt affect them,,,i know that rpms arnt your motors friend. Just sparkin up some convo but since it was only me and you it was kinda lackin, but thanks for replyin anyway
yea I wasnt trying to be an *** either, jrfish007 said it so much better then me, I wasnt even thinking about all of that so I did learn something, but either way, running into the redline alot will cause damage.
Old 10-05-2005
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
lol.... yeah engineers can't spell... it's a rule of thumb
i'm studying to be an engineer...
Old 10-05-2005

Originally Posted by infinite012
i'm studying to be an engineer...

well then your spelling will be as good as mine I used to win spelling bee's in middle school if you can believe that