General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

oil filter on waaay too tight

Old 06-27-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skunk2ner is an unknown quantity at this point
oil filter on waaay too tight

i attempted to change my oil today. first off, the drain plug bolt was way over tightened. way over 29 lbf-ft. then the oil filter is waaaaay too tight. i can't even get it off. i tried by hand... with sand paper... with a oil filter wrench... any damn tool i could find... nothing! i called up a local shop, they said that honda uses air-impact tools to make them so tight that you have to go to them to get your oil changed (i got my last oil change at honda). so tomorrow morning i gotta drive my *** over to honda to get them to take off the oil filter they over tightened. i'm going to really let them have it... i mean the torque specs are in the damn manual, can't they read? i'm going to make sure they hand tighten it.
Old 06-27-2004
Registered!!

sleapercivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had this swame problem.

I eventually get the filter off by jamming a long screw driver through it.
and then just forcing it off
Old 06-27-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sleapercivic

i was actually thinking of doing that, but i was afraid that if i twisted it, it might tear apart and i would never get the damn thing off. but it actually worked?
Old 06-27-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
i've had the same problem with the honda oil filter. its super tight and honda carrys a "special" wrench tool to get it off. you can purchase it from them but i think that would be a watse because your going to only use it one time. im thinking about going to a local autoshop with a filter in hand and just pay the labor. some shops may have it, some dont.

if honda is changing your oil/oil filter, you should bring in your own supplies (motor oil/oil filter) and tell them not to tighten the filter so you can hand-loosen it in the future.

oh yea, it is possible to take out the filter without that special tool, i dont have much tools at my house but i know its possible.
Old 06-27-2004
Registered!!

sleapercivic is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, just make sure it goes all the way through, that way you are putting the force and the outer wall only
Old 06-27-2004
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about
impact gun??? WTF!!!!!!!

i just hang tighten it...till it snugged in there
Old 06-27-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Civic_Racer9
impact gun??? WTF!!!!!!!

i just hang tighten it...till it snugged in there

i know! you're supposed to only hand tighten. stupid honda dealer service department...
Old 06-27-2004
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
well oil filter pliers work the best.. yes the filter will be deformed by the force, but it will be off, and you will be putting on a new filter right?
Old 06-27-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
i use a big pair of channel locks to get it off and like WannaB said, u mess it up, but who cares. I then hand tighten it.
Old 06-27-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
You can go to a local auto parts store (I got mine at Advance) and get one that works on a socket wrench. I had to use one of those to get it off the first time I ever changed my oil (the switch to synthetic). Now I use it every time I change my oil. Best $3 I ever spent. And yes, I only hand tighten mine as well, but we all know they magically get tighter.
Old 06-27-2004
Banned

irishtemper has a spectacular aura aboutirishtemper has a spectacular aura about
i changed my oil the other day,,,last time spee dee oil did it, and i had to put the wrench on the plug and smash it with a 5lb hammer. I felt like smashing them with it, im stupid and don't give a fuc. BTW i switched to 5w 30 full synthetic, is that ok?
Old 06-27-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Well When I changed my oil on friday I had a hell of a time getting the filter off, I must have put it on too tight the last time. I just used some of my moms gardening gloves and used some strength and got it off. With the drain plug. Even if it is overtightened, just put a 17mm wrench on there and then hit it with a mallet or hammer, it will come off. Dont even take it to honda tomorrow, use the hammer and it will come off. That is what I did the first time I changed my oil. I was mad it was on tight, but I got it off.
Old 06-27-2004
MIT
Registered!!

MIT is an unknown quantity at this point
oky, thinkin about changin my oil next time........how much it costs for that "special" wrench tool from HONDA? any diff. than aftermarket one?

thanks,
Old 06-27-2004
Registered!!

70TXStang is an unknown quantity at this point
here are some other options...

Farm mechanic method: Find the biggest socket you have, then go to your local hardware store and find a nut that fits that. JB Weld the nut to the end of the filter. Let set. While using socket on the end and hand on the side, rotate the filter.

Fliter pliars are awesome, I have a friend at work that swears by them.

Watch out for the screwdriver method. Me and TeamPointless (well, he actually did it) put a screwdriver the the filter on his mom's dodge 1/2-ton. WEll, when he twisted it off the top of the filter came with it. let me tell you that was a bi-atch to get off!

The Swede
Old 06-27-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MIT
oky, thinkin about changin my oil next time........how much it costs for that "special" wrench tool from HONDA? any diff. than aftermarket one?

thanks,
You dont even need one, just use your strength, it shouldnt be that extremely tight.
Old 06-28-2004
Registered!!

Civicccc will become famous soon enoughCivicccc will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sleapercivic

Thats what I did when I had to take mine of for the first time. It was a bit messy though. ...... but it worked
Old 06-28-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by streetglower
You dont even need one, just use your strength, it shouldnt be that extremely tight.
i thought that too. i'm pretty strong too! me, my dad and my brother all gave it a shot, but to no avail. that thing feels like it's welded on! bastards. i'm going to tell them to make SURE they hand tighten it tomorrow. i'm going to carve it into the service guy's clipboard so he doesn't forget.
i used everything i could think of. rubber kitchen grips, sandpaper, filter wrench (maybe plastic ones suck, it slips), everything but the screwdriver method.
Old 06-28-2004
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
is it even possible to impact the filter on these engines? i mean, i can hardly fit my hand up there let alone any air tools. just get some cheapo channel locks...they work better than anything ive ever used.
Old 06-28-2004
Registered!!

Mine was on there pretty damn tight, just got to keep going at it. But let honda know the problem, it is because the people there dont care about peoples cars.
Old 06-28-2004
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
I use a old leather belt.
Put it around the filter like it is the "waist" then tug real hard with one hand and use the other so the belt keeps it grip.

This method makes taking off an overtightened oil filter easy to do.
Damn Jiffy Lube and Honda dealers.
Old 06-28-2004
Banned

irishtemper has a spectacular aura aboutirishtemper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by LiKEaFeRiO
Put it around the filter like it is the "waist" then tug real hard with one hand and use the other so the belt keeps it grip.

That is a damn good idea, would have never thought of that.
Old 06-28-2004
I can resist everything except temptation.

ffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the rough
I got mine off for the first oil change just fine the first time, i will admit it was a little tight but nothing a little persistance didnt take off.
Old 06-28-2004
Registered!!

zen_master is on a distinguished road
mang..

u guys might wanna have this Oil Filter Wrench.........and a long torque wrench...from Sears......heheheheh

anyway, it's time for M1 0W20..
Old 06-30-2004
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by zen_master
anyway, it's time for M1 0W20..
your always talkin about that stuff... do you sleep with a bottle of it at night?
Old 06-30-2004
Registered!!

zen_master is on a distinguished road
*slurp*

hahahahaha.....

nah, they're available at wal-mart.........

anyway, there's a chance that.....0w20 makes your engine sounds louder...
do you think there's a difference if i change to royal purple 5w20?
Old 07-12-2004
No Title

maxsin is an unknown quantity at this point
I can't count the profanities I spoke when changing my oil for the first time after the dealership.
Old 07-12-2004
Premium Member

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by LiKEaFeRiO

I agree, I have used this many times at junk yards. Don't do the screw driver thing. I had a friend that did that and lets say he had to pay a mechanic to take out the engine and work on what was left of the filter.
Old 07-12-2004
Registered!!

custom_junky is an unknown quantity at this point
just remember one thing, mechanics make there money by you going in and having them do the work, so if they can over tighten it and make you have to go back so be it, they are still getting paid either way. i never go to the mechanic unless i have to, don't completely trust them, and for the most part i can do all the work myself.

sorry to hear about your deal with the oil filter man, hope you get that b^&*h off there.
Old 07-12-2004
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
i could see a small shop mechanic doin that.. but dealerships pay salary so those mechanics dont have much to gain.. unless they're instructed to overtighten
Old 07-13-2004
Registered!!

custom_junky is an unknown quantity at this point
good point ctx, sorry my mistake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil filter on waaay too tight