I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Mixed-up jumper cable connection, car runs (with issues) (94 Civic DX)

Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couper87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mixed-up jumper cable connection, car runs (with issues) (94 Civic DX)

I went to a concert last night and like an ******* I left my lights on. Someone was awesome enough to give me a jump, but, flustered about possibly being stranded a 120 miles from home with a dead cell phone, I didn't double check my connections when I hooked up the jumper cables.

What happened:

1. When I tried to start my car (with the crossed hookup), it didn't, and then I noticed smoke coming off the booster battery; I quickly disconnected everything, though the cables were hot as a ****...

2. Re-did the hookup (correctly) jumped the car, it started with no problem.

3. A few minutes later; I notice the acceleration is sluggish and the brakes are soft, the brakes really jumped out at me because I just had everything brake-related replaced.

4. My gas gauge fluctuates sporadically, one minute it tells me I have about half a tank, and the next it looks nearly empty.

5. Cornering is for lack of a better word 'wobbly', there is also a sort of wiggle when going down the highway.

I made it home after a very stressful drive, but I wonder what might have happened, was it the ****ed-up jump? Or was my car tampered with while I was at the concert?