Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

92 Honda Civic lx..... Engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondamomma is an unknown quantity at this point
92 Honda Civic lx..... Engine problems

I just bought a 92 Honda civic lx four door with my tax return two weeks ago and I paid 2200 for it....when I bought it it seemed to drive nice and no leaks. when I got it home I checked oil and it seemed to be fine.... one day later the oil light started coming on every now and then but I figured it was just a sensor or something so I did not check the oil since it didn't seem to leak. After the light was blinking off and on for 3 days... it began to knock.... I know your thinking ... dumb move not checking oil. But needless to say I then check my oil and it was bone dry... it is now blown up... SO my question lies at is it smarter to try to sell the car... body is in over all good condition.... or should I invest in a new engine.. if new engine is your answer... where is the best place to get one... thank you for your time.
Old 03-01-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 92 Honda Civic lx..... Engine problems

Lots of variables.
You will have to weigh all your options. Fix/sell/scrap.

You have a big paperweight right now.
Most people aren't going to pay much for a dead car, the most you can really expect is scrap value unless you can part it out.

Replacing the engine could cost as much as the car is worth.....but you will have to do your own math.

All shops have different rates and will probably quote prices that are all over the map. Quotes may not be the actual reality either when all is done.
Beware of lowball quotes that get you in the door, then hold your car hostage for more money.

(The wrong person doing the work can be a complete waste of more money than you paid him so be careful. I have seen plenty of stuff ruined by people over the years.)

The cost of a used engine may vary a lot too.

Start here to get some idea of possible engine prices: www.car-part.com.
Old 03-02-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondamomma is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you I just hate it because I am going to lose my *** on it ethier way it goes. Thanks for the advice though!!
Old 03-02-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hondamomma
I am going to lose my *** on it ethier way it goes.
That's considered a "tax".
You MUST check and fill all the fluids regularly on any car, or it gets real expensive in a hurry.