Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1995 honda civic dx timing

Old 10-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clintonium is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry 1995 honda civic dx timing

Hi,

Just put a new timing belt in my 95 dx, ran perfectly before i changed it but now it runs like garbage, timing is off. I swear i put the new belt on the same way the old timing belt was on, didn't turn either of the pulleys. I could be off by one tooth but who knows.

Noticed that when the old timing belt was on it was kind of loose. The new one is very tight. This could have something to do with it..?

Any suggestions at all would help,

Thanks
Old 10-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1995 honda civic dx timing

Get a real shop manual.
Read and follow that manual.
It will have instructions for not only solving your timing dilemma, but also tell how to properly set tension for the timing belt.
Revisit your timing belt job.
You can't just go by shoving the belt on the pulleys and hoping for the best...(FYI: You missed.)
The pulleys MUST be timed to be in the correct relationship to each other.
There are actual timing marks to use.
Check all the timing marks.

A tooth off is a tooth off, no matter how much you want to think it was "right".
It will run like poop at one tooth off.
Big poop at 2 teeth.
Maybe not run at all at 4 teeth off.
Bending valves comes next.

You should NEVER EVER need to adjust the distributor. Ignition timing does not change throughout the life of the engine unless there is another problem somewhere else.

HTH
Old 10-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kellogg6316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1995 honda civic dx timing

i use a little white out and make marks where the pulleys are before i take a belt off. a little bit on the pulley and something close by so you can line these up later. Obviously it is too late for that now. There are marks at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock on the camshaft pulley. these should line up level with the head, and the crank pulley has a notch that lines up with the timing belt case.