Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

91 dx low compression in only one cylinder

Old 04-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicgirl91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 91 dx low compression in only one cylinder

i have a 91 civic dx with low compression in my second cylinder. i believe it read 60psi. the other three are reading just fine. and my timing is of at least one tooth. i am not sure what to do about it. i don't know that much about cars. i had to replace the rotor, distributor cap, radiator, water pump, and just about all the other hoses which ran me about $1000 all together cause i didnt do it all at the same time so i am tryin to do this on my own to save money if possible. does anyone have any ideas??? thanks
Old 04-03-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 91 dx low compression in only one cylinder

You could have a worn valve or worn piston rings in the one cylinder. Why didn't you have the timing belt changed when you had the water pump taken care of? You can get a leak down test done to help narrow down the issue in the one cylinder that has really low compression.
Old 04-03-2011
Registered!!

oh and i meant to add in there that i had my valves adjusted like 2 weeks ago and i had the timing belt changed at around 90,000 miles when it broke and i am only at about 113,000 miles now
Old 04-03-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Did you have your mechanic take a look at the valves when the belt snapped? You could have possibly bent a valve or valves when that happened.
Old 04-03-2011
Registered!!

at the time i took it to a bad shop and i really have no idea wat they did cause when the water pump and all that was replaced the guy told me that the timing belt wasnt tensed so apparently they didnt look
Old 04-03-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

likely you will need to remove the head and inspect if the valves are seating correctly... lots of work involved and not for the faint of heart, i am afraid...

now if this was not in the 9th gen 2012 model year civic forum... ah, whatever. tired of pointing this out...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-03-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-03-2011
Trance Addict

I'm demented enough to take on such a task. Either way, it's gonna be something you'll definitely have to bring to a trustworthy shop to take care of. I wouldn't bother taking it to the people worked on your car last time. Chances are they'd mess that job up too.
Old 04-03-2011
Registered!!

oh trust me im not that was a one time thing.
Old 04-03-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Taking the head off isnt THAT much work Just be careful and take your time.
Old 04-03-2011
Registered!!

yeah i know i helped with one on a 1990 bmw 325i. let me tell u that was fun.....lol
Old 04-03-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

if you want to tackle it yourself, good fella tbohar posted this
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-belt-diy.html
skip the parts that relate only to the timing belt, unless you see something there.
inspect to see if valves are seating correctly.
you might want to send the head to a machine shop to see if head is still flat in the gasket area.
Also, recommend inspecting the stud bolts. ideal is to change them , but if it was not removed before, they might be still good (they stretch if removed and torqued down too many times.
will have to change the head gaskets
Old 04-03-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea my long awaited DIY that I just haven't had the time to work on of course, it is for a 7th gen so I'm not sure if it will apply to a 91