I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Doors lock on their own

Old 09-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trickmycivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Doors lock on their own

Hey i've got a 98 civic ex sedan, and all of the sudden all 4 of the doors just started locking by them self's as soon as you shut the door. yesterday it didn't do this. ended up locking my keys in it today when it just started. i can unlock them, open the door, shut it and it re-locks. any help here? not sure if its a short, or just some setting that got activated? some stupid safety feature? thanks
Old 09-18-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Doors lock on their own

Assuming it's the stock alarm and you don't have an aftermarket one, I would test to see if the main relay is bad. I can't imagine that it's the actuator because the actuator only locks (or unlocks) the doors when it receives electrical current, so something is telling the actuator to lock when you shut the door. Hence, the main relay is your best bet.
Old 09-20-2011
Registered!!

trickmycivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zeferint
Assuming it's the stock alarm and you don't have an aftermarket one, I would test to see if the main relay is bad. I can't imagine that it's the actuator because the actuator only locks (or unlocks) the doors when it receives electrical current, so something is telling the actuator to lock when you shut the door. Hence, the main relay is your best bet.

Yea, this car is completely stock. thanks for the input. it quit doing this later that day and hasn't done it again... (yet!) but if it does i'll have 1/2 a clue were to look, thanks.
Old 09-20-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I would try disconnecting the lock/unlock switch and run it a while if it happens again.

Do they lock right as you shut the door ??