Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

oil leak '97 Civic

Old 02-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ashtim1514 is an unknown quantity at this point
oil leak '97 Civic

I'm struggling to identify the following component on a '97 1.6 liter Honda Civic engine. The leak has progressed where it is a steady drip where it bolts to the engine but only when the vehicle is running. I can't seem to identify the component in a couple of repair manuals I own. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'll apologize for the photo I attached up front but my cell phone is a Cricket..not the greatest of pixels but I think it should do the trick.

Thanks again.
Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hondaleak.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	86413  
Old 02-28-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: oil leak '97 Civic

If it's that nubby brownish thing, that's a solenoid. If it's near the top of your engine, it's probably the VTEC one.
Old 02-28-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

(Copied from my post in another thread somewhere here)

The valve itself is not usually a problem......but it has 2 gaskets that commonly leak, they are made of rubber and and they can leak a LOT of oil when they get old, hard, and brittle.

This one is listed in the Honda dealer catalog, 15825-P2M-005 is around $20:

This one is not listed for your year, you have to ask for one that fits a 95 EX Civic:

Someone else here in the forum actually bought this gasket for their 6th gen and reported back that it was correct.
36172-P08-015 is the part # for the upper gasket (from a 95 EX), and it should be about $8.

The top section (solenoid coil) has 3 bolts. There are small parts that can be lost though, so you gotta be careful. If you lose anything, you will be buying the whole valve, which is about $365.

Your dealer can usually get the parts the next day if they don't have them in stock.
Mail order (Majestic) for the gaskets might not be any cheaper after shipping charges are added.

HTH
Old 02-28-2014
Registered!!

Thanks!! Fluorescent dye confirmed it's leaking from the VTEC solenoid valve filter/o ring where it bolts on to the motor and after the ends warms up, it's a pretty significant steady leak. Thanks for the ridiculously fast reply!!

thanks again!!
Greg
Old 02-28-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashtim1514
the ridiculously fast reply
I can erase my reply and wait until tomorrow if you like.

Sounds like you plan on doing only one of the gaskets?
Do replace both of the gaskets. They are the same age and all, and both can leak like nobodys business.

HTH
Old 03-04-2014
Registered!!

at my age...there might not be a tomorrow!!

Thanks again. I'll replace both.

Greg
Old 03-06-2014
Registered!!

schollianmj will become famous soon enoughschollianmj will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ezone
(Copied from my post in another thread somewhere here)

The valve itself is not usually a problem......but it has 2 gaskets that commonly leak, they are made of rubber and and they can leak a LOT of oil when they get old, hard, and brittle.

This one is listed in the Honda dealer catalog, 15825-P2M-005 is around $20:

This one is not listed for your year, you have to ask for one that fits a 95 EX Civic:

Someone else here in the forum actually bought this gasket for their 6th gen and reported back that it was correct.
36172-P08-015 is the part # for the upper gasket (from a 95 EX), and it should be about $8

The top section (solenoid coil) has 3 bolts. There are small parts that can be lost though, so you gotta be careful. If you lose anything, you will be buying the whole valve, which is about $365.

Your dealer can usually get the parts the next day if they don't have them in stock.
Mail order (Majestic) for the gaskets might not be any cheaper after shipping charges are added.

HTH
That was me... yup that part number worked just fine for my car and solved my leak issue. well one of them....
Old 08-27-2014
Registered!!

oneheadlight is an unknown quantity at this point

need to bring this thread back from the dead...

thanks for everyone finding that top o-ring part number! But what I need now is the part number of the top bolts for a 96 vtec spool assembly. The bolts that hold the solenoid to the rest of the assembly. I only found the bolts for the 95 spool.. which is 95701-06018-08. are they the same for the 96? would like to know before I go ahead and take it all apart. Can't find anything online or the forums, and yeah I have been searching..

let me know, thanks!
Old 08-27-2014

Originally Posted by oneheadlight
need to bring this thread back from the dead...

thanks for everyone finding that top o-ring part number! But what I need now is the part number of the top bolts for a 96 vtec spool assembly. The bolts that hold the solenoid to the rest of the assembly. I only found the bolts for the 95 spool.. which is 95701-06018-08. are they the same for the 96? would like to know before I go ahead and take it all apart. Can't find anything online or the forums, and yeah I have been searching..

let me know, thanks!
You mean the short bolts? They should be the same as a 95. 95701-06018-08

Did you lose one or what? Reuse them, no need to replace bolts unless they are damaged or something.
Old 08-28-2014
Registered!!

oneheadlight is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
You mean the short bolts? They should be the same as a 95. 95701-06018-08

Did you lose one or what? Reuse them, no need to replace bolts unless they are damaged or something.
thanks for the reply ezone! yes the short bolts, I didn't lose one, just wanted them on hand in case the old ones are a mess, just being prepared when I take it apart. I thought they might be the same as the 95 part, thanks for confirming that! Helps me out a lot!