Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trans not engaging to go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nightmarecivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Trans not engaging to go into gear

1999 civic ex b.4.r.a trans

So the trans and the torque converter are both new. Both rebuilt. I got the torque converter online from a "50 years in the business ebay shop"and the trans i ordered online from a company in florida.

The car will not move in any gear. It will shift into the gears but will not move when you hit the gas. In park when you hit the gas theres a slight shuddering felt at around 2000 rpms. In any other gear i dont feel that shudder though. Im thinking torque converter.

Before i have to pull all this back out im curious as to which component you think is the failing one? Its gonna be a nightmare to drop and re-drop these components mixing and trying different transmissions and converters till i have the correct combo. What is the proper procedure to know if its the transmission or the torque converter? No cel lights no codes.

Last edited by nightmarecivic; 07-22-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2012
Registered!!

burbanite is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Trans not engaging to go into gear

I'm having the same problem. I just rebuilt the automatic trans on my 02 Civic EX. While I was at it I replaced the torque converter with a remanufactured one. I originally rebuilt the transmission because it slipped during shifts. First, second gear slipped then the rest followed over time. Yesterday when I finally got everything back together the car ran great for about 15 miles with no problems at all. Then suddenly the car broke down. The car won't shift into any gear. There wasn't any warning (shutters or noises). I checked the shift solenoids and they seem OK. Given the symptoms there seems to be a fliuid pressure problem causing the clutches to not engage. Now I'm trying to determine if the remanufactured torque converter failed or if there's a leak or clog in the transmission's hydrolics. Either way the trans will have to be taken out again. I will let you know if I find anything.
Old 08-12-2012
Registered!!

D16Y86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Trans not engaging to go into gear

Try the torque converter solenoids. Replace that/those first, reset your ECU, then drive. Maybe reset your ecu before the torque converter solenoids.....?
You need it to train it's self to know what it's got. Parts that have a memory only produce what they know is the least or most, not current.