Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1999 civic coolant leak under lower radiator hose

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thenn is an unknown quantity at this point
1999 civic coolant leak under lower radiator hose

hi, i noticed few drops of coolant leaks under the radiator side. the leak is coming next to the clamp which is close to the joint.. attached are the pictures i could manage to take.. looks like the hose or the clamp was never replaced.. I am not sure of tightening the clamp would stop the leak or if this is something major - an estimate would help me plan.. or if this is something i can fix just by lifting the car using the jack i have for flat tire lifts.. either way, all your inputs will be really appreciated..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00001-20120219-1303.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	82592   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00003-20120219-1305.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	82593  
Old 02-19-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1999 civic coolant leak under lower radiator hose

Replace the hose and get some stainless steel clamps.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...=RADIATOR+HOSE

From majestic honda if you go OEM its about 5 bucks for the hose and about 4 dollars for 1 clamp and 2 bucks for another + a few bucks to ship.

This is a good time to replace the coolant if you haven't done so in the past couple of years. Make sure you bleed the coolant system properly after the hose is replaced. When you remove the hose make sure the radiator outlet isn't cracked.

It's a very easy job.

-Jack the car up, put it on jackstands.
-Make sure the car is COLD and remove the rad cap.
-Put a big oil catcher under the radiator, open the rad drain near the bottom of the rad. (Plastic wingnut looking thing)
-Once the coolant is finished draining you can grab a set of pliers or channel locks and undo the clamps. Be careful not to damage the radiator itself.
-Once the hose is off attach the new hose with your new clamps.
-Tighten the drain valve for the radiator
-Fill the radiator up with coolant right to the very top.
-With the rad cap not on start the car, let run for about a half an hour (ish) and fill the radiator with coolant as the level drops down. Once the level stops dropping your good to go.

At home your looking at about 25 dollars with new coolant, in a shop your looking at about 100 or a little more depending on how much labor is and how much they wanna jack up the prices on parts.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 02-19-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thenn is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1999 civic coolant leak under lower radiator hose

I bought a hose + clamps from pepboys for $15 and i used someone else help to have the new hose replaced.. Since after then I dont see any fluids under the hood but i did notice the coolant level is low on the reservoir.. may be it is the radiator which has a leak.. since it is in the bottom of the car- it is tough to spot without a lift.. i will try to see to locate the exack leak spot..