Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Internal heater - not working

Old 11-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
koylee99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Internal heater - not working

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can help me!

I have a 1998 Honda Civic and currently have not heating in the car. A while back the heating was working intermittently, very temperemental with refards to when it chose to work and sometimes giving a bang to the dashboard would bring it back on. After a number of months of it playing up it has now eventually stopped working. For about 10 days before it would work a little making a funny buzzing type noise until it eventually gave up. I have checked the fuse within the car and under the bonnet, these are both fine. There is a teny-tiny amount of heat coming through the vents, just not blowing (if you get me). It also does not work no matter what blow setting I have it on. Becoming a problem now winter has arrived.

My mechanic seems to think it is the blower motor that has gone but when ringing around for prices, a few people told me it would be the resistor not the motor itself. I'm just a bit confused and don't want to buy the resistor for it to turn out to be the motor afterall as I would not be able to return the resistor.... Any opinions?

The other problem I have is trying to get hold of a motor. It is horrendous, no where seems to have these besides Honda direct for £230 +VAT which I can not afford to pay. I have found one on ebaythat fits a Honda Accord 98 model, would this be the same?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Many thanks, Laura.
Old 11-16-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Internal heater - not working

If you know someone with access to a digital multimeter, have them test the resistor. But you have no heat, so it may not be that. The fan itself could have crud all piled up in there preventing it from spinning as fast as it should. Worst case scenario(s), it could be the heater core or your thermostat.
Old 11-17-2011
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough
Re: Internal heater - not working

If you have tried what MelJ suggested and it turns out to be the blower there's plenty of U.S. websites that sell OEM blowers, and far cheaper than 230 pounds ($363 US dollars...yikes!).