Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96 Civic Overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m0nstarz is an unknown quantity at this point
96 Civic Overheating problem

i went for a drive a 1h30 later the car start overheating a little. the temp gauge climb a little over the temp logo in the gauge and when down instantly. it wierd the temp climb slowly put goes down real fast? when i
check the radiator hose bottom and upper both of them were hot .came back inside the car and the temp gauge were almost to the top so i stop the car.
then i check the side reservoir it was almost full and usually there almost nothing in there.so i let the car cool down check the radiator cap it was full of a black greasy stuff so i clean it up and close it the side reservoir was almost empty. so time to go back home.the car didn't overheat at all normal temp halfway home i put some gaz and check the hose top one hot bottom one warm.back home i let the car idle to see if it gonna overheat nothing happen but both hose were hot! but normal temp in car i even rev the car a little nothing still normal temp. should i change the thermostat and flush the prestone? or it something else. thx
Old 07-31-2011
turbo_coupe_EJ1

turbo_coupe_EJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 96 Civic Overheating problem

the stuff on the radiator cap is oil and thats usually caused by a blown head gasket and the temp guage going up and then dropping could be a caused by a bad thermostat so what i would do is replace the thermostat and if that doesnt fix it then i would replace the head gasket
Old 07-31-2011
Registered!!

since i clean up the radiator cap everything fine except this morning the car almost stall for a second then all good wierd!? i change the termostat flush the prestone and oil.
Old 08-01-2011
turbo_coupe_EJ1

turbo_coupe_EJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

i wouldnt think that over heating would cause the car to stall but since u cleaned the cap , replaced the thermostat and flushed the radiator i would drive it for a couple of days and if the oil shows up on the radiator cap again then its a blown head gasket
Old 08-01-2011
Registered!!

i ask for why my radiator hose top and bottom were really hot at a shop near me and they respond to me that with your barehand it normal that it really hot but but with a heat gun to check the temp they will see the difference. but im still scared that the car overheat even with the new oil prestone and thermostat cuz the car hood feel hot just after a quick trip to the store
but the temp gauge said it at normal temp.
Old 08-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Man it's your head gasket... It's blown. The reason the reservoir is full is because exhaust gases are displacing the coolant, and the reason the car almost stalled is because 1 or more of the cylinders were full of coolant interrupting the engines process... Check the link in my signature if you don't believe me.