Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Transmission problems P0700 & P0730

Old 05-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matteo80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Transmission problems P0700 & P0730

I searched the forum but haven't found a definitive answer for this problem.

My wifes 98 civic LX just threw a CEL. I pulled the codes and they are P0700 & P0730. The transmission seems fine though, it's not slipping as far as I can tell, sometimes it changes a little harshly but it has done that for the last 50,000 miles or so and it isn't any worse now.

Honda put out a service bulletin saying flush the transmission and change the linear solenoid, parts costing upwards of $250. I was all set to do this myself but when I was scouring through different forums I read that this actually doesn't do anything. Now I don't know what information is correct and don't want to waste $250 and a day sorting this out if it doesn't do anything and I have to replace the transmission anyway.

The car has 170,000 miles on it and about 30,000 on a new engine.

This car has sucked quite frankly, it has been a source of never ending problems and break downs even though I have always changed the oil every 3,000 miles and made sure everything else was done on time. I'd like to sell it, but with major transmission problems I wouldn't get much for it.

Anyone had this (apparently frequent) problem? Any fixes? Is it worth doing the flush and changing the solenoid or am I stuck with this lemon?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-12-2011
Registered!!

Re: Transmission problems P0700 & P0730

Just drove the car around today it drives fine, shifts into all 4 gears, no harshness really. Only issue is when I am at a stop light it will be fine for 10 seconds then shudder for a second then be fine. Temp is well within spec, even on the low side. its idling at about 500 revs from what I can tell from the shitty rev guage. It doesn't seem like there is a problem. So why the CEL.

Anyone have a transmission issue like this or know what I should do?
Old 05-12-2011
Registered!!

I guess I will just change the transmission fluid and change the linear shift solenoid.

Can anybody help me locate where that is and how to switch it and if I need to switch out anything else?
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

I guess this problem isn't as common as everyone claims then
Old 05-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the issues are more common on the 7th gen, sorry, not sure about the causes...
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

trina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Matteo80
I searched the forum but haven't found a definitive answer for this problem.

My wifes 98 civic LX just threw a CEL. I pulled the codes and they are P0700 & P0730. The transmission seems fine though, it's not slipping as far as I can tell, sometimes it changes a little harshly but it has done that for the last 50,000 miles or so and it isn't any worse now.

Honda put out a service bulletin saying flush the transmission and change the linear solenoid, parts costing upwards of $250. I was all set to do this myself but when I was scouring through different forums I read that this actually doesn't do anything. Now I don't know what information is correct and don't want to waste $250 and a day sorting this out if it doesn't do anything and I have to replace the transmission anyway.

The car has 170,000 miles on it and about 30,000 on a new engine.

This car has sucked quite frankly, it has been a source of never ending problems and break downs even though I have always changed the oil every 3,000 miles and made sure everything else was done on time. I'd like to sell it, but with major transmission problems I wouldn't get much for it.

Anyone had this (apparently frequent) problem? Any fixes? Is it worth doing the flush and changing the solenoid or am I stuck with this lemon?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I'm having this same problem 700 730 codes I have a ex won't shift pass second gear no grinding no smells just won't shift please help
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

There's something wrong with the tranny control system. I would recommend taking it to a transmission repair place because the whole control system needs to be checked. It's pretty involved and requires specialty tools.
Old 03-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Found this, IDK if it will help

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/Ho...023457_zzz.pdf
Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

Angry Re: Transmission problems P0700 & P0730

Originally Posted by ezone
Ok I took it in and all they did was drive it for 10 min and took code 501 told me I need a new transmission I don't under stand nothing was wrong with it when the head gaskit was bad now its fixed and my Trany is out so lame
Old 03-26-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

DTC P0501: "Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Range or Performance Problem"
Could be related to the P0730 since the VSS is used as a part of the gear ratio error diagnostics, it is compared to the main and countershaft speed signals.

C&P from the Honda site: "Mainshaft speed x (times) target position gear ratio/(divided by) countershaft speed is less than 80% or more than 125% for
at least 12 seconds."

And: "The vehicle speed measured by the VSS > the vehicle speed measured by the countershaft speed sensor by a factor of 1.8 for 10 seconds.
The vehicle speed measured by the VSS < the vehicle speed measured by the countershaft speed sensor by a factor of 0.55 for 10 seconds."

The VSS related code takes priority in code set criteria.

The P0730 is a calculated gear ratio error code.

In a nutshell, if the problem isn't in the linear solenoid and the fluid flush doesn't help, then it gets a trans.

The reality is it will probably need a trans.

Replacing the solenoid set and flushing the fluid usually doesn't help, and you will just be pizzed off if someone tells you that the solenoid and flush will fix it and it doesn't.

Now....Would you like to take it to a different place -- expecting someone to tell you about a cheaper fix they can do, so you let them do it (and pay their price) only to find out it still has the same problem?
How about taking it to several different places, repeating this same scenario?

How much money will you throw at it in hopes of a cheaper fix?

Ok I took it in and all they did was drive it for 10 min and took code 501 told me I need a new transmission
I can check it out that fast sometimes. Sometimes the problems are extremely obvious.
The P0730 is a code of death, it gets a trans.

I don't under stand nothing was wrong with it when the head gaskit was bad now its fixed and my Trany is out so lame
The car is 14 years old, has 170k miles or more, it blew a freeking head gasket on a 30,000 mile engine rebuild (WHY???)
And you think there was absolutely nothing wrong?
It's a car, they don't last forever, shiat breaks.
This time, more than one thing broke at the same time.
Deal with it.

HTH
Old 03-28-2012

In a nutshell, if the problem isn't in the linear solenoid and the fluid flush doesn't help, then it gets a trans.

I found a quote this evening that sort of covers this situation pretty well:

"You gotta give'em the only SURE repair option if you're gonna
assume responsibility for it. Strange engine noises mean
it's time for an engine replacement. If they wanta buy a
lottery ticket to repair the old one, it should be on their
dollar with no guarantees."
~ Mr. Rader, iATN Forums.
Old 03-29-2012
Registered!!

DTC P0501: "Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Range or Performance Problem"
Could be related to the P0730 since the VSS is used as a part of the gear ratio error diagnostics, it is compared to the main and countershaft speed signals.

C&P from the Honda site: "Mainshaft speed x (times) target position gear ratio/(divided by) countershaft speed is less than 80% or more than 125% for
at least 12 seconds."

And: "The vehicle speed measured by the VSS > the vehicle speed measured by the countershaft speed sensor by a factor of 1.8 for 10 seconds.
The vehicle speed measured by the VSS < the vehicle speed measured by the countershaft speed sensor by a factor of 0.55 for 10 seconds."

The VSS related code takes priority in code set criteria.

The P0730 is a calculated gear ratio error code.

Replacing the solenoid set and flushing the fluid usually doesn't help, and you will just be pizzed off if someone tells you that the solenoid and flush will fix it and it doesn't.

Now....Would you like to take it to a different place -- expecting someone to tell you about a cheaper fix they can do, so you let them do it (and pay their price) only to find out it still has the same problem?
How about taking it to several different places, repeating this same scenario?

How much money will you throw at it in hopes of a cheaper fix?

I can check it out that fast sometimes. Sometimes the problems are extremely obvious.
The P0730 is a code of death, it gets a trans.

The car is 14 years old, has 170k miles or more, it blew a freeking head gasket on a 30,000 mile engine rebuild (WHY???)
And you think there was absolutely nothing wrong?
It's a car, they don't last forever, shiat breaks.
This time, more than one thing broke at the same time.
Deal with it.

HTH
i dont know why it went out i got it from my brother who never put antifreeze in it and it froze but how is the trany bad if it was shifting and driving just perfect and i get the head done and now my tranys bad i dont understand that

what other trany year can i put in it and how hard would it be to make it a manual

i put a new vss in it fixed it some but its not where it should be
linear solenoid is the one with two round things on it right my book sucks for info on these i just honestly think its a sensor of some kind no smells in the atf color is good no debris in it
Old 03-29-2012

i dont know why it went out i got it from my brother who never put antifreeze in it and it froze but how is the trany bad if it was shifting and driving just perfect and i get the head done and now my tranys bad i dont understand that

Well, if the person couldn't be bothered to take minimal care of the engine, why on earth would you think any care was given to the transmission?

what other trany year can i put in it

Contact your auto recyclers.
04-05 is supposed to be better than 01-02, you can probably search this forum for opinions on this.

and how hard would it be to make it a manual

More trouble than it's worth, to me.

i put a new vss in it fixed it some but its not where it should be
linear solenoid is the one with two round things on it right my book sucks for info on these i just honestly think its a sensor of some kind no smells in the atf color is good no debris in it

I doubt you will fix it with any amount of small parts throwing.

The P0730 code is a gear ratio error code, usually it means the trans missed a shift. This is determined by the computer comparing the signals from 3 speed sensors, and they don't agree with what is programmed for each gear.
It usually starts out random, then gets progressively worse as time and miles go on.
The P0501 is a VSS performance code, not a failed sensor code. This one also set because the 3 speed sensors on the trans did not agree, and is normally set because it missed a shift.

You could keep driving it until it really shifts noticeably badly, then worry about it.
Seems like by the time most people bring the cars in to get it checked out, the trans may shift randomly into neutral, or downshift when it shouldn't, or any other completely wrong action that screams "Trans problem!"

YMMV.

HTH
Old 09-13-2021
Registered!!

Honda Civically is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trina
I'm having this same problem 700 730 codes I have a ex won't shift pass second gear no grinding no smells just won't shift please help
I'm having the exact same problem here just won't shift past second gear.
Old 09-13-2021
Click Here

Received 1,150 Likes on 898 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Honda Civically
I'm having the exact same problem here just won't shift past second gear.
Start a new thread documenting your problem. This one hasn’t been touched in nearly 10 years.
Old 09-13-2021
Registered!!

Honda Civically is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chezboat24
Start a new thread documenting your problem. This one hasn’t been touched in nearly 10 years.
Will do thanks!