I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

CR-V cd player fits civic? now ipod with oem civic stereo

Old 07-18-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
CR-V cd player fits civic? now ipod with oem civic stereo

just wondering how hard this would be to hook up. connector seems the same, it has 6-disc changer and orange illum. not sure on the wires tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...fAudioQ5fVideo

Last edited by gearbox; 07-24-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02_d17a1_dx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: cr-v 6 disc double din cd player fits civic?

im pretty sure the wires are the same, when i installed my aftermarket head unit the harness adaptor i got was for the crv's as well. Where are you planning on installing it though? I dont think it'll fit in our dash cause its got that weird curve on the right side...
Old 07-18-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

01-05 civic can easily fit double din stereos. alot of members have aftermarket units installed and it either requires the 2005 civic SE full console trim which is designed for double din, or if you keep the older 01-04 dash trim, metra and few other companies sell double din dash kit. i am just tired of the single din dash trims always sagging, and i dont want all the problems of aftermarket double din (theft, colors not matching). so oem seems to be the answer if it plugs in and i find a way to mount it to the oem bracket. heres someones new pioneer installed with dash kit.

Old 07-18-2010
Registered!!

I knew they made double din adaptors, metras work well but like you said sag and are pretty cheap. What im wondering is how much custom work its going to require, it looks like the crv one mounts from the front, so youd have to drill into the sides to use the civic mounting locations and somehow remove those mounting plates on the from the crv one.

Also, as far as i can tell from the pictures off ebay, the crv has a slight bend in the top of the trim, which would cause a problem with any adaptor kit, i believe the factory navigation in the SE is a perfect rectangle so you might have to either grind it down or sand it down and smooth it out. You could do it, but what about getting the navigation double din unit from the SE instead?
Old 07-18-2010
Premium Member

yeah thats what worries me is the mounting. i dont really listen to or use the radio much anyway, so i just want something basic to fill the hole and function. ive been hearing rumors that the civic se trim piece is different from a standard double din mounting hole but not sure how or why. maybe i should stick with my original idea of just getting honda dx coupe oem stereo for the top panel (no cd or tape), and get the add-on cd player for the bottom. i dont like the oem pocket.

Last edited by gearbox; 07-18-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2010
Registered!!

pm me if you want the dx stereo, lol, its sitting in my garage.
Old 07-18-2010
Premium Member

ah nice man that helps alot.
Old 07-22-2010
Premium Member

thanks again, received it today and started installing it. there was a small crack in the top trim, but not too bad. orange lighting is perfect match with my orange led dash lights.
Old 07-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

I have the add-on cd player brand new sitting in the closet. It's yours if you pay for shipping. PM me.
Old 07-22-2010
Premium Member

haha wow what a lucky thread. i was just about to hit up ebay for the add-on cd player. thanks man
Old 07-23-2010
Premium Member

but getting back to the topic, it would be cool if the cr-v unit worked. i just dont think spending $200 on a used one is worth it tho without knowing for sure. and then i would need the 05 SE trim piece which is even more money lol. the mounting is also a gamble. those front mounts would have to be removed somehow, and i did notice in other pics that it has side mount holes, but who knows if they line up with the civic bracket.
Old 07-24-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
thanks again, received it today and started installing it. there was a small crack in the top trim, but not too bad. orange lighting is perfect match with my orange led dash lights.
Oops, didnt notice that crack, guess it wasnt that bad if I didnt ever notice it, lol. Glad you like it man.

but getting back to the topic, it would be cool if the cr-v unit worked. i just dont think spending $200 on a used one is worth it tho without knowing for sure. and then i would need the 05 SE trim piece which is even more money lol. the mounting is also a gamble. those front mounts would have to be removed somehow, and i did notice in other pics that it has side mount holes, but who knows if they line up with the civic bracket.
Yeah, i just dont think the crv unit would fit in the SE trim though, i think it has some curves in it where the SE trim is for a perfectly rectangular screen, but I could be wrong. And obviously there would be some custom mounting, unless those holes in the side magically line up with the civic bracket. It would be cool to do, but i think theres better options, such as the SE unit, lol. I know people like to either swap in an aftermarket head unit, or swap in a better factory unit. I think for those that like the factory look, the SE unit would be a great choice, although they can be hard to come by and are also expensive. Maybe another navigation unit would fit in the SE trim and still look factory though? To each his own.
Old 07-24-2010
Premium Member

for me the silver SE unit is too flashy and almost looks aftermarket in the black civic dash. now if i could get my hands on the JDM se unit which is all black, i would love to swap that in lol. can you believe im STILL transferring music and fooling with ipod playlists. at least i wont have to do this again for a while.
Old 07-24-2010
Premium Member

i got the 2001 DX lower open pocket installed today looks so clean compared to closed pocket lol. and near perfect match with the deck, graphite black. the radio lighting is very nice. in acc mode, only the lcd stays on orange. in dash light mode, lcd dims down and all the buttons light up. next week i get to hook up the ipod. its finally loaded with songs, and i think i can fit it in the ashtray for easy access. thought about swapping in an oem cd player so i can use single cds if i feel like it, but the dx unit looks cleaner and has larger lcd screen. this is a very lean receiver. barely weighs a pound or two and has a small circuit board inside and pretty much emtpy otherwise. im hoping i can find a good spot to mount the bulky ipod converter.

lights off

lights on

Last edited by gearbox; 07-24-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2010
Registered!!

i got the 2001 DX lower open pocket installed today looks so clean compared to closed pocket lol. and near perfect match with the deck, graphite black. the radio lighting is very nice. in acc mode, only the lcd stays on orange. in dash light mode, lcd dims down and all the buttons light up. next week i get to hook up the ipod. its finally loaded with songs, and i think i can fit it in the ashtray for easy access. thought about swapping in an oem cd player so i can use single cds if i feel like it, but the dx unit looks cleaner and has larger lcd screen. this is a very lean receiver. barely weighs a pound or two and has a small circuit board inside and pretty much emtpy otherwise. im hoping i can find a good spot to mount the bulky ipod converter.

lights off

lights on

I know that radio! lol. Looks great though, I want to find a hybrid in a local junkyard to take the blower control from so I can get the automatic climate control function, I like the look of the numbers on the temperature dial, but having automatic climate control would be awesome, lol.
Old 07-25-2010
Premium Member

Re: CR-V cd player fits civic? now ipod with oem civic stereo

i was tempted by all the extras those hybrids get and almost eneded up with one, but then reality kicked in and i remembered the battery pack will prolly be going out soon (10 yr life means most of the earlier nice hybrids with extras will not last much beyond 2013). i like the gauges, climate control, and all the mpg calculator stuff. almost like what most acuras have stock. i wanted to swap in the other hybrid dials too just for looks, but then i would have to redo the led retrofit since the icons wont match up with the leds.
Old 07-25-2010
Registered!!

Yeah, i dont get exactly why the hybrids got all the cool stuff, Acura gets it cause theyre the "luxury Hondas", lol

I thought they wouldve been deleting things to save weight due to the enormous NIMH battery pack in the trunk, the gauges make sense seeing as there are other things to monitor with the IMA system. And IMA does save a lot of weight compared to Toyota Synergy Drive, The A/C does get an ECON mode, not sure what exactly it does, maybe lengthens the intervals the compressor clutch is disengaged? The auto temperature i guess could save gas by keeping a certain temperature, although I always though auto climate control wastes gas because most people turn down the A/C after its cooled off the car only a few degrees, because the temperature difference makes them feel cool, but if you set a temperature its going to have to run much longer to cool it down to that temperature. Did they do anything to save weight or cut down costs (more than the regular civics)? I figured they would compete with the Prius by making it cheaper, seeing as IMA is less efficient and the Prius got better mileage (except for the ORIGINAL Insight) that wouldve been a grand idea, plus weight savings in a hybrid are a must.
Old 07-25-2010
Premium Member

ha its amazing that honda did nothing to cut weight in the hybrid civics. in fact its heavier than a regular civic. they were on the right track with the first insight, it was light as hell and the mpg was way up there in the 60-70mpg range. insane. too bad they cause cancer tho, something with the electric field. you can google it if youre interested. other than that lil problem, and no mountain driving, they were great cars.

well ive pretty much listening to my ipod all weekend, its a great player and the 16gb of space is great. i dont know if anyone else noticed, but their earbuds suck! my sandisk sansa sounded a ton better for $30 lol. at first i was thinking its the ipod, but i swapped earbuds and now it sounds great. the apple buds have no depth, its just flat sound with too much treble and no bass. the sansa buds are alot louder, lots or bass, and good balance of sound. so im just using those buds with the ipod til i can find something better. they are kinda old, so if anyone has recommendations for new earbuds, post em up

one other thing i dont like about ipod is no fast seeking. my sansa would increase skip speed if you keep holding down the button and eventually would start skipping hours at a time. the ipod only goes less than a minute at a time, so that means no more skipping thru my 1-6 hr songs anymore

Last edited by gearbox; 07-25-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-25-2010
Registered!!

yeah, the insight was a good car, the electric motor was about all that was keeping you alive in mountain driving, lol, that little 3 cylinder didnt have much torque. I never heard of the cancer thing, ill have to look it up.

I have a Zune 120, I use it in my car, I rarely use ear buds, but the Zune ear buds have good bass and mids, and clear highs, for ear buds. I've listened using Apple ear buds before though and thought they had good bass for little ear buds. But like I said I listen to it most of the time in my car, when i rarely do listen with ear buds they sound terrible, lol.
Old 07-25-2010
Premium Member

huh, seems the EM radiation is still an issue with newer hybrids (except the latest prius). i thought they would have fixed that by now...

http://www.fastcompany.com/1567588/d...on?partner=rss
Old 07-26-2010
Registered!!

I'd hate to think that those figures are true. Its certainly possible that those results were altered in some way, but im wondering what exactly causes all that radiation. Most of the electronics are under the hood and shielded... Thats quite a bit of radiation for just electronics...
Old 07-31-2010
Premium Member

well here is a quick update, since im feeling sick. i managed to get it installed and working, but alot of problems. 1. sometimes interface freezes and you must reset the ipod and deck. 2. songs sometimes switch randomly without pressing anything 3. interface does not charge my 5G nano, it says not supported. 4. track names dont display properly 5. some playlists are not able to be opened for some reason.

anyway, yeah it has alot of bugs but i think it can still work. im not sure why this thing doesnt do anything it says it should, possibly my ipod is too new and not supported even tho the connector is the same. biggest fail is no charging function. cause the battery dies in 2 hrs. but its nice you can change playlists and tracks using the disc and seek buttons on the factory deck. sound quality is excellent, this could be a great product if they put more effort into making it work right.

install was a breeze, pull out the deck, plug in the cable to the cd changer port, stuff the box behind the glove box next to ecu, and then run the ipod cable under the passenger seat for quick connecting. the box is small and lightweight.

under the seat, the led pod was removed already...

and the display while hooked up (when disconnected, display shows EJEC in the middle)

Old 08-06-2010
Premium Member

just got my new cable for the older PA11 HON converter, usa spec part CB-PA85 and it charges the ipod nano 5G perfectly. the cable is also a foot longer so i was able to run it under the passenger door sill and still have enough cable to hide it completely under the seat and carpet when not in use. it also has a nifty cover for the ipod interface connection! cost around $30 but worth having your ipod charge while playing. so overall $100 spent for a full ipod integration solution.
Old 08-06-2010
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

lol. sorry, not to steal your thread or interrupt your chat... this is all why i got the SE radio. yea, i read how the silver is kind of flashy and all, but I had already done the painting of side air vents and radio bezel, so it all flows, especially with the car being SSM. yea, i didn't go as far as to direct connect my iPod, but it's all good.

Gearbox, are you still up in Reno, or where? (i remember you moving around a bit for a while)

Name:  IMGP0177.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  85.1 KB

Last edited by manahoonie; 08-06-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2010
Premium Member

that looks good with the silver trim around it. and is that two aux inputs on the front? i thought about that deck just for the 6 disc mp3 feature which is really nice, but it wouldve cost a bundle and i wanted the SE trim piece for it. so i went with the cheaper option lol. the deck you have is even more powerful than the EX cd player. i think it goes 20x4 for the FM stereo receiver, 30x4 for the cd player, and 40x4 for the SE changer. peak wattage numbers ofcourse. but the se unit is almost as good as most aftermarket decks.

and yeah im still in reno for couple more months, well actually in carson city mostly working for the summer. just kinda driving around the state where they send me, i think its back to central nevada for a while. i move around way too much but its fun and i seem to get bored easily. prolly in october i will be in a new state again
Old 08-07-2010
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

haha. thanks for the numbers on the wattage. i never knew what it was. but no, it just has one AUX jack in the front. the other thing you see is the IR receiver for the Remote that was available for the SE deck. I don't know if it came WITH the car, or as an accessory they could get. I was just lucky enough in 07 to get the deck off ebay for $100 shipped.

also, i don't see enough difference in the SE trim to the regular grim. I know it's more smoothed along the edges where it dips in, but it doesn't bother me at all... This matches up nicely, and i'm happy.
Old 09-28-2010
Registered!!

Jadesm83 is an unknown quantity at this point

that looks good with the silver trim around it. And is that two aux inputs on the front? I thought about that deck just for the 6 disc mp3 feature which is really nice, but it wouldve cost a bundle and i wanted the se trim piece for it. So i went with the cheaper option lol. The deck you have is even more powerful than the ex cd player. I think it goes 20x4 for the fm stereo receiver, 30x4 for the cd player, and 40x4 for the se changer. Peak wattage numbers ofcourse. But the se unit is almost as good as most aftermarket decks.

And yeah im still in reno for couple more months, well actually in carson city mostly working for the summer. Just kinda driving around the state where they send me, i think its back to central nevada for a while. I move around way too much but its fun and i seem to get bored easily. Prolly in october i will be in a new state again
i have an 01 civic dx...will this unit work in my car??? Or just on 05 se...
Old 09-28-2010
Registered!!

Jadesm83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manahoonie
lol. Sorry, not to steal your thread or interrupt your chat... This is all why i got the se radio. Yea, i read how the silver is kind of flashy and all, but i had already done the painting of side air vents and radio bezel, so it all flows, especially with the car being ssm. Yea, i didn't go as far as to direct connect my ipod, but it's all good.

Gearbox, are you still up in reno, or where? (i remember you moving around a bit for a while)

will this unit work in an 01 civic dx cuz?
Old 09-28-2010
Premium Member

the SE silver deck works in ANY 01-05 civic. plugs right in, however if you want it to look like the 05, you need to get the 05 special edition climate control bezel (the whole piece around the radio with the ***** and buttons). you can reuse your own, but it will look like above where you can see some of the cuts and rough edges.
Old 09-28-2010
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

gearbox, i too have swaped in the entire climate control system in and i'm trying to get it to work, not in a hybrid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CR-V cd player fits civic? now ipod with oem civic stereo