I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2005 Electrical or Immobilizer issue...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic_MMV is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Electrical or Immobilizer issue...

For our 2005 civic SE we just swapped out the original engine (cracked header @ 135,000 mi) for one with 47,000 mi. It ran for 3 weeks or so, about 1000 mi then the instrument lights flickered and the following morning the car wouldn't start, the automatic locks didn't work either.

I jumped the car but when it was disconnected it died within a minute or so... Had the battery checked, it tested fine. Tightened the leads and it started ran for 5 minutes and restarted, but then an hour or so later back to the beginning with no nothing, well the instrument panel lighst work...

I checked the battery and ignition fuses and they are fine... disconnected and reconnected battery with no avail....

Any ideas before I tow it?
Old 05-14-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 Electrical or Immobilizer issue...

If it was an immobilizer issue, the only thing that wouldn't work would be actually starting the car.

Have you had your alternator checked?
Old 05-14-2010
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough

sounds like an alternator problem to me. If it were an immobilizer issue, your starter would just crank and ur engine would not start, and your immobilizer (green Key) light would flash on your dash. try disconnecting ur positive battery cable while the engine is running. if it shuts off its your alternator
Old 05-15-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

are you sure the battery clamps are tight? sometimes you might think they are, but you can still turn them.
Old 05-15-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Its not the immobilizer, like the others say it could be your alternator. Check to see if its working. Another could be the battery cables, see if they are really tight on there. And another could be a bad ground. Alot of weird things can go wrong if you have a bad ground.
Old 05-19-2010
Registered!!

Civic_MMV is an unknown quantity at this point

It may be the grounding since weird thigs are happening and it starts with random combinations of attempts. Presently if you press the break pedal with no key in the ignition the oil light, engine light and green immobilizer light comes on... and the oil light stays on.

The battery leads were checked, I even by-passed the negative since there was some corrosion on it.

Does anyone know of a schematic of the grounding locations?