I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

radio shuts off then comes back on.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sentbacktothesu is an unknown quantity at this point
radio shuts off then comes back on.

ok so today in RI we had a pretty decent snow storm. but since they dindt plow and sand adequately, my usual 20 minute ride home from work took me nearly 8 hours.

anywho. i sat in traffic all night idling and about 2 hours of sitting and crawling, having the defreoster blowing hard. the rear defroster going, the windshield wipers goin and my system pumpin my radio shuts off. i have a stock radio thats amped with all 4 speakers and then another amp for my 3 10's. the radio will shut off completly, including the clock then come back on as if nothing happined. i noticed it happened more when i had alot of accessories going. ie. wipers. blower. so i shut off my subs and it still happined. so i had to stop in prov, which is where i spent most of my commute. but when i came back to my car my car barley started. i had left my hazzards on for maybe 5 minutes but the car had a hard time starting. is the radio shutting off connected to me probably needing a new battery or was it just that the altinator wasnt procuding enough to charge the battery and power everything...

pretty much what im asking is, what do u think the deal is?
The following users liked this post:
Melanie Hickman (02-18-2021)
Old 12-13-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: radio shuts off then comes back on.

sounds like you really drained the battery on your trip using all that stuff. try and drive around at 3krpms or above on the freeway for 30 mins or more, see if it recharges and makes everything normal. if not you might need a new battery. our charging system is barely enough for the car to operate without problem. the added accessory esp the ac wipers and all that really drain it esp just stop and go.
Old 12-13-2007
Registered!!

thanks. ill see if it starts in the morning. it more more or less just taking your foot off the brake ever 10 or so minutes. so it was at like 1200 RPS for like 8 hours. just hope its nothing serious.
Old 12-14-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
sounds like you really drained the battery on your trip using all that stuff. try and drive around at 3krpms or above on the freeway for 30 mins or more, see if it recharges and makes everything normal. if not you might need a new battery. our charging system is barely enough for the car to operate without problem. the added accessory esp the ac wipers and all that really drain it esp just stop and go.

it seems fine now. it just made me worried. im still going to keep an eye on it.

thanks
Old 12-14-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yup, just idle for long periods of time drains the battery very fast. and we have the small crappy group 51 size that is not very powerful.
Old 12-14-2007
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light

yeah, thats usually the first sign of battery drainage, then next your gauge cluster would have shut off on you... then the car dies LOL... I KNOW ive done it before lol.
Old 12-14-2007
Registered!!

yeah the snow was falling so hard my rear defroster couldnt keep up. so i shut off that and my subs and deciced to be sain for 7 hours and listen to my music rather than see the parked car behind me.
Old 02-18-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melanie Hickman is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2006 Honda Civic SI does the exact same thing. Took it to Honda and they couldn't find an issue. I am not a mechanic and need help.