I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

How can I tell if I have 2 Ohm or 4 Ohm subs? (bought used)

Old 10-09-2005
Formerly efil on evol on

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura about
Question How can I tell if I have 2 Ohm or 4 Ohm subs? (bought used)

I bought my subs off of a friend already in the box w/ amp, etc. and I do not know whether they are the 2 Ohm or 4 Ohm Kicker Comp-VRs.

Here is a pic:

I have been having a problem with my Sony XM-2165GTX Amp overheating and thought there may be a problem w/ the setup of everything. I have tried to understand all of this but it is just too far over my head so all help is appreciated.
Old 10-09-2005
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
Best thing to do is take the sub out of the box first then hook up any multi-meter that has an ohmmeter on it the hook the leads up to the voice coil. If it reads around 2 then 2ohm, around 4, then 4 ohm.
Old 10-09-2005
Formerly efil on evol on

Cptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura about
awesome. Will do that tomorrow
Old 10-11-2005
Registered!!

01civi is an unknown quantity at this point
didnt know that. guess u do learn something new everyday
Old 10-11-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
yeah an ohm meter can save ur *** sometimes lol
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

flyguy050 is an unknown quantity at this point
actually you dont even really need to take the subs out of the box...if there is only one terminal on the box, that means your running the subs in parallel. If the ohm meter reads 3 ohms, you're subs are actually 6 ohm subs. If you have 2 separate terminals, one for each sub, put the ohm meter onto one of the terminals and whatever it reads is what your ohm level on your sub is
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by flyguy050
if there is only one terminal on the box, that means your running the subs in parallel.
Even if you only have 1 terminal, it can still be hooked up in series in the box.
Old 10-13-2005
7thGen's Loudest Civic...4,000 watts and climbing...

usafcushman is on a distinguished road
or just take it out and look at it haha... it should have a sticker on the bottom of the magnet around the vent that read whether it's a 2 or 4 ohm DVC sub (check the pic below)... rep me for saving you at least $20 on a multimeter ...

Last edited by usafcushman; 10-13-2005 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2005

then go to this website to make sure you're wiring it up correctly... hope this helps... good luck!

Last edited by usafcushman; 10-13-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Sony amps overheat anyway....
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
It's still not a bad idea to have a Digital MultiMeter laying around. Especially if you're gonna be messing around with electronics. Every man needs one. I picked up a Craftsman one from sears that was usually $79.99 for only $9.99. Not the little POS one either, this one is big. Usually they have them on sale too.
Old 10-13-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
WooHoo... I get a free Fluke DMM every year cause we buy new ones at work, and they tell us we can keep our old ones. Sure, they're used for a year, but still, they wok fine and dandy. I've had 3 of them now, fixing to get my 4th.

Regardless, there should, as USF said, be a sticker, or something on the back of the sub around the pole vent. Or at least a model number stamped on the basket somewhere.
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

^^^ WTF sell me one.
Old 10-14-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
I sell them on Ebay when I get a new one. When I get a new one, I'll probably put it up in the FS forum here.
Old 10-18-2005
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice
hey i had those, kicker comp vr? 4ohms
Old 10-18-2005

Originally Posted by cwo715
hey i had those, kicker comp vr? 4ohms

CompVRs are available in 2- or 4-ohm DVC configurations, so just because yours were 4-ohm does not mean that his are...

silly n00b