I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Rear Speaker Install

Old 01-18-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eman is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear Speaker Install

I installed a pair of Polk 6x9 in the back and followed the DIY provided by toasty ghost. Thank you! For those who are changing the speakers, when you get to the part where you need to take the speakers out, a faster and simpler way is to use a 5/16 side battery terminal wrench especially for the screws located closest to the rear window....AND make sure you follow the DIY instructions step by step
Old 01-18-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
cool thanks [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-19-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
i was looking under the 6x9 yesterday, and noticed my trunk spring by the 6x9 are changing from a blackglossy colour to a dead grey... i try rubbing it off, no success. think it's the 6x9's magnets sucking the metal off of it?
Old 01-19-2002
Registered!!

BlueIce2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
where is the DIY for the rear deck cause i tryed it and i dont know how to get it off with out takin just about all the interior out???????? HELP !!!!!!!!!LOL
Old 01-20-2002
Registered!!

Hey BlueIc, go to toastyghosty's web page www.madstatic.com/2k1civic and click on DIY. You basically would have to take the whole rear section out. Good luck and enjoy. It was a good feeling after doing it.
Old 01-20-2002
Registered!!

BlueIce2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks Eman
damn thats what i didnt want to do!!!!!!!!
i might just have someone do it for me too much work
Old 01-20-2002
Registered!!

Aight
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

silverbeast is an unknown quantity at this point
hey eman, thanks for the info, i have kenwood 6x9's for the rear and i've been trying to figure out how u get the old ones out. I went by circuit city here in woodbridge va and they said it would take them 5 hours to do that project ? i just looked on that site you gave the other guy, i dont see anything about taking the stock rear speakers out and putting in new 6x9's cause it was hard just to get the front ones out you had take out those nasty clips
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

tsunamisplash is an unknown quantity at this point
silverbeast.. if you followed the DIY for removing the rear deck, it would be obvious as how to remove the speakers. if you have ever seen a speaker before, you can pretty much figure that there will be for screws, most likely phillips and will commonly be hex shaped so a ratchet set would be able to remove it as well.

in any case, there are 4 screws holding down each speaker. to remove the speaker.. you will need to unscrew the screws. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

Todd1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i put pioneer 6x9s in the back and i will never try to do that again, i will pay someone to do it next time!!!!
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

silverbeast is an unknown quantity at this point
hey todd email me scottcivicVA@aol.com those are the same rear speakers im gona be putting in pioneer 6x9's help me out
Old 04-20-2004
Registered!!

dan502 is an unknown quantity at this point
That guide at Ghosty's is perfect. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-30-2009
Registered!!

dan72987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rear Speaker Install

The guide at Ghosty's works great tells u everything u need to know. I just replaced the rear speakers in my civic but on the Ghosty's site it says it will take 15-30 mins, i doubt that it took me about an hour and a half. It was my first time doing that though. Just wanting to let everyone know it takes at least n hour to take it all out and then put it back together.
Old 01-31-2009
Registered!!

elementalchain is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Rear Speaker Install

I had bought 6x9 Alpine Type R speakers at Best Buy and they were going to try and charge me and extra 100 bucks on top of what i was already paying to install the rears. I said no way and returned the speakers. So i guess i may remove everything from the rear before i go get the speakers installed becuase i know nothing about wiring up speakers unless anyone is willing to help.
Old 01-31-2009
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

its not that hard - u need a ratchet or a socket wrench for the bolts and heres a DIY that I used. It took me a long time in the beginning - like 6 hours with plenty of breaks and other noob reasons. The second time I did it, took me about an hour. As far as wiring that is pretty simple too if you invest in connectors as shown here (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...upe-sedan.html)

that way you dont have to cut the oem harness. And even if you do decide to cut the oem harnesses (like me) you can always get female connectors and crimp them to the wire and hook them up to the male prongs accordingly (+/-) wise

heres the DIY that i used
http://2k1civic.madstatic.com/2006/0...the-rear-deck/

A lot of the panels will just require a little force, but becareful not to break any of the clips. You likely will have a rattle so you might want to invest in some patting. I used cut up socks and kitchen sponges because I am poor.

if you have any further questions feel free to post

Last edited by kcari; 01-31-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2009
Registered!!

elementalchain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kcari
its not that hard - u need a ratchet or a socket wrench for the bolts and heres a DIY that I used. It took me a long time in the beginning - like 6 hours with plenty of breaks and other noob reasons. The second time I did it, took me about an hour. As far as wiring that is pretty simple too if you invest in connectors as shown here (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...upe-sedan.html)

that way you dont have to cut the oem harness. And even if you do decide to cut the oem harnesses (like me) you can always get female connectors and crimp them to the wire and hook them up to the male prongs accordingly (+/-) wise

heres the DIY that i used
http://2k1civic.madstatic.com/2006/0...the-rear-deck/

A lot of the panels will just require a little force, but becareful not to break any of the clips. You likely will have a rattle so you might want to invest in some patting. I used cut up socks and kitchen sponges because I am poor.

if you have any further questions feel free to post

Thanks a bunch. I will definitely give it a shot. Now is there anything bad that can happen if i dont hook the spade connectors up correctly, or is it pretty much idiot proof?
Old 01-31-2009
Registered!!

kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

nothing bad - just the sound quality will suck and you will know that something is wrong. When I did it, I actually cut the harness - stripped the wires and attatched the bare wire to the prongs -bad idea - I redid this and hooked connectors (to extend the oem wires) and then connecting that to female connectors and then to the male speaker prongs. Just remember which color harnes wire is + and negative
and you'll be fine. I think wiring the speakers should be the least of your worries!
and remember to remove ur 3rd brake light - don't brake it like me!

i would also suggest that you do this on a cooler day and that you give yourself enough space to remove all the paneling and seat cushions so you have more room to work. The biggest pains were popping out the white clips from underneath the dash and removing the nut that held the speaker down that was the closes to the mirror.
Old 01-31-2009
Registered!!