I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY: Head unit install

Old 10-05-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
DIY: Head unit install

As this was long overdue, I decided to make a head unit install DIY for the 03-04 Civic. This may apply to other years as well, but AFAIK, it is only for the 03-04. This DIY was created using an 04 LX coupe.

NOTE: The first 3 pictures are for an install on an auto, the following 4 will be for an install on a 5 speed. After the first 3 steps for each, there are no differences.

1) Stick your hand under the trim ring and pull

2) The ring comes off easily

3) Stick your finger in the location shown and pull up HARD. It can be very stiff but it does come out. There is a hole there to stick your finger in and make it easier.

4) The console piece does come off but it can be a pain in the *** sometimes. If it seems stuck in one part, look very closely to where the clip is (the console piece will be cut out a little just above it), stick a very small screwdriver and try to push the clip out. It will come out eventually so be persistent.

NOTE: The following 3 steps are for an install on a 5 speed. Following these steps, starting at number one again are instructions that apply to both manual and auto.

1) This is what the 5 speed center console looks like

2) Pull up on the shifter console area like how I am in the picture. You want to pull from inside the shiftboot area. You may want to pull with both hands. One hand on the left side, and one on the right side. Its easier if you do it with both. The only reason I have one hand in the pic, is the simple fact I used the other to take the pic. After you pull the left and right sides up, the front and back should just come off. There is nothing but clips holding this area down.

3) You should be able to turn the area around the shifter sideways. Once this is done, you can follow the steps from the DIY for the auto, its exactly the same. As you can see in the pic, its not necessary to take off the shift ****.

NOTE: The remaining steps apply to both manual and automatic vehicles

1) Use a phillips head screwdriver to remove the 2 screws located near the cup holders on either side of the console

2) Stick your hand under the "horseshoe shaped piece" as shown and pull it out. It is simply held in by clips, 2 on each side. Pull the sides out first and then pull the entire piece out by pulling up and back. Unplug the cigarette lighter and set this piece aside.

3) This is what your dash should now look like, and you can start taking the head unit out.

4) Remove these 2 screws to allow you to take the panel containing your HVAC controls, hazard light and head unit to come out. You can use either a very short phillips head screwdriver or an 8mm socket and ratchet. I highly recommend the ratchet. One screw is in the center and one is towards the right, but they are up underneath the dash and you may have to get under there at a wierd angle to see them, but they are very easy to get out using a ratchet.

5) Stick your hand behind the metal bar that you just took the screws out of and push it kind of up and forward. The top of this bar is part of the panel containing the head unit and the bottom half is part of the car. Push on the bar so that the head unit pops out. It may be stiff if it hasn't been removed before but it does come out.

That's all there is to it, and reassembly is the exact opposite of disassembly.

If you get stuck, please feel free to post any questions in this thread.

Last edited by electric130; 09-28-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-10-2004
lkm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trusted
this one rocks
Old 10-12-2004
wut time is it now

2slow2run is an unknown quantity at this point
god daym its so much harder on the sedan then the coupe
thank goodnesss i got a coupe but thankx for the update on the sedan
Old 10-12-2004
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Actually this was done with a coupe
Old 10-12-2004
wut time is it now

2slow2run is an unknown quantity at this point
o auto
Old 10-23-2004
Registered!!

JP375 is an unknown quantity at this point
Does everything lock in place nice when you reassemble it? I hate to take it all apart only to find that it is loose and ill fitting once it is put back together. Do the clips you mention have to be replaced once the part is removed? I ran into this on my old car once. The door panel clips were meant to be replaced once they were undone.
Old 10-24-2004
Banned

Yeah it all locks in

And no they don't have to be replaced. Sometimes they pop off and you cant find them, but if you have MOST of the clips, 1 or 2 don't matter. I stole a few odd clips from around my car when I needed them, but I eventually went to Honda and bought a whole bunch of em
Old 10-25-2004
Registered!!

85gp4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just replaced my stock head unit this past weekend and it wasn't as hard as the pictures look. Hell, I did mine BEFORE I found this post. Very good post by the way... Everything just snaps back together.
Old 10-26-2004
Banned

It's not hard at all, just requires some dynamic thinking I suppose you could say
Old 10-27-2004
Registered!!

Adamb123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, when you do an install for an HU how do you know which wires go to which part of your Deck?

If I have an alarm/keyless entry do I need to go out and buy an extra part for it?
Old 10-28-2004
Banned

You get an aftermarket wiring harness and wire it to your deck wiring harness based on the colors and then you just plug it in. Simple.

No, alarm or keyless do not require any extra parts
Old 10-29-2004

coop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the rough
Must be a redesign - the 01 coupe didn't require any of the center console to come out....good job btw!
Old 10-31-2004
Banned

It is a little different than the 01 yes that is why I made the new DIY... and thanks
Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

This helps me quite a bit. Have installed rear speakers? Or doors, with the tweeter pods?
Old 10-31-2004
Banned

Done both, I just followed the DIY's that are on this site
Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

I can't seem to find the DIY for the rear deck of a coupe (found the sedan), could you help a noob out and point me in the right direction?
Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

One more thing...what will I need to make a clean install for a Nakamichi CD-400 head unit. Is it just a trim ring that covers the space around the unit? Crutchfield shows the whole bezel with the storage pocket and everything.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Jz76wq7...=mounting+kits

I don't want to replace that. I want to keep the stock one with the door over the storage pocket. Does the unit fit with the factory bezel?
Old 11-02-2004
Banned

Get the Metra #99-7897 mounting kit, it is only half sized
Old 11-08-2004
One Slow Civic.... But I can take turns pretty well :-)

Blahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trusted
my 04 doesn't require the center console to be removed.
Old 11-08-2004
Banned

pics? what model is yours?
Old 11-08-2004

Blahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trusted
EX and I don't have pics. All you need to do is pop the part that has the outlet off and then take the screws out. From your pics looks like you could have done the same. But oh well.
Old 11-09-2004
Banned

the part that has the outlet is the big long piece that stretches down the center console, so in actuality i DID do the same... you must have a different setup or something... different parts
Old 11-09-2004

you have a coupe right?
Old 11-10-2004
Banned

affirmative
Old 11-10-2004

hmm, I don't know why you removed the center console then...
Old 11-11-2004
Banned

becuase i had to, like I said, let's see pics of yours
The following users liked this post:
CivicHybrid03 (05-31-2020)
Old 11-11-2004
Banned

i didnt take the center console out, as you can see from the pictures, I only removed 3 pieces that are part of the center console. there is no other way to install the deck other than removing those 3 parts
Old 11-11-2004

i don't have pics, but maybe I will take it all apart just for you.
Old 11-11-2004
Banned

I'd like to see it
Old 11-11-2004
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
takumi is on a distinguished road
Me too...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Head unit install