I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

What's the difference between "speakers" and "component speakers?"

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
What's the difference between "speakers" and "component speakers?"

I read the FAQ stickies.

What's the differnece?

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2004
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
components are usually the combination of a mid and a tweeter (separate). speakers are single, sometimes 1, 2, or 3 way. components are better if they are placed right.
Old 08-28-2004
Registered!!

Regularjoe is on a distinguished road
A speaker is just a speaker. One nothing extra or special. Then they start combining speakers w/ crossovers and tweeters. If you have a woofer and a tweeter thats a 2-way. If you have a woofer and 2 tweeters thats a 3-way.

Coax are more than one speaker where the one speaker is mounted on the other. The speakers are fixed and cannot be moved appart. They can come w/ crossovers even, but not very common. Usually these are 2-way, 3-way, or even 4-way. What this means is its usually a speaker with one or two tweeters fixed in the middle of the woofer.

Components are more than one speaker, where the speakers are positionable away from one another. These always have a crossover too. These are most always 2-way, occasionally 3-way.

This is a plain 3-way coaxial speaker, main woofer and 2 tweets in the middle. The key here is the center is fixed.

This is a 2-way coaxial w/ a crossover. Still, the center is fixed but adjustable only in directions.

This is a 3-way component set. Here you can put any piece anywhere.
Old 08-28-2004
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
well done regularjoe
Old 08-28-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I've got regular speakers (2-way) in the door but also separate tweeters up top with their own crossover. The basic idea is to have tweeters higher up than the speaker/mid driver for a better sound stage.
Old 11-22-2004
Registered!!

Asteroid is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
I've got regular speakers (2-way) in the door but also separate tweeters up top with their own crossover. The basic idea is to have tweeters higher up than the speaker/mid driver for a better sound stage.
where exactly are your tweeters located at??
Old 11-22-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
They are surface mounted on the sail panel, angled towards the front due to its design. They still sound awesome.

Old 11-22-2004
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by gearbox

Are the highs harsh at all? Do you just dial down the treble?
Old 11-22-2004
Premium Member

Not at all. I actually have the highs turned up a bit. The tweeter in the 2-way speaker is turned down towards the floor tho, and the tweets are only running off deck power while the door speakers are amped.
Old 11-22-2004
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
my components are amped and my tweeters just replace the stock ones (EX) and some songs that dont have much bass kill me.. but the quality is awesome..
Old 12-17-2004
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
is it better just to get speakers, if you are not planning on getting an amp to go with the components?
Old 12-17-2004
I want a TSX!

sevenplaces is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by runner1738
is it better just to get speakers, if you are not planning on getting an amp to go with the components?
yes, you can even get some good quality. Amped components sound amazing though.
Old 12-17-2004
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
Components just typically need more power, but generalizing that components are not suitable without an amp and coaxials don't need an amp is too vague. There are many Coaxials that sound a lot better with an amp. Most speaker kits, even components will work fine without an amp, but just about all speakers will sound better with an amplifier. The key would be to fine a set of speakers that are efficient enough to sound loud at low wattages.
Ed
Old 12-17-2004
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
well i know im gonna get a 9831 for christmas so i was considering getting some alpine type s speakers to go with it front and rear but they are listed as fitting under crutchfields website, so i may haev to go with polk momo or something, i just thought that alpine is better with alpine, but the components are 200 and i dont feel like upgrading my battery right now as well, so i thought maybe just a good set of speakers would be better