Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here.

Just got a 2012 Civic Si Coupe, what should be my first mods?

Old 09-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black_si12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just got a 2012 Civic Si Coupe, what should be my first mods?

So I literally just got the new Si today. It's my first sporty car, and I want to make it faster. What are some of the most effective mods you'd recommend I do to make it quicker?
Old 09-22-2011
Registered!!

DrunkinStuper will become famous soon enough
Re: Just got a 2012 Civic Si Coupe, what should be my first mods?

Full race turbo kit.
Old 09-22-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DrunkinStuper
Full race turbo kit.
That WOULD be nice... But I'm talking about beginner mods at first.
Old 09-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

stickers lots and lots of stickers or the search button lots and lots of searching
Old 09-22-2011
Registered!!

I did search a little. Sorry if I'm being annoying, but this is my first sports car. I didn't know is the 2012 was different than the 2011 or prior years. The whole thing is, I was to start off sort of slow then get bigger mods. My ultimate goal is to get my car so that it's as fast or faster than my buddy's car.
Old 09-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

well what does your buddy drive because there really aren't any quick inexpensive mods you can get that ere going to do much for you.
Old 09-22-2011
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough

First mods, I'd say tint and rims.
From what I heard, there's not much performance mods out for the 9th gen right now.
Old 09-22-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
well what does your buddy drive because there really aren't any quick inexpensive mods you can get that ere going to do much for you.
He has a 2000 Trans Am WS6. From what I remember him saying, his mods are:

Heads
Cam
Stall
Gears
Full Intake
Full Exhaust
Upgraded fuel system
Dyno tune

I believe it put down 420-450rwhp and 400rwtq. He used to have a nitrous kit, and back then it put down just under 600rwhp and rwtq. But he sold that a few months ago, so I don't have to worry about that. I've seen some civics make 600+hp so I was hoping after I get used to this car, I could spend some real money and get up to his level.
Old 09-22-2011
Registered!!

Milkey will become famous soon enough

You'd probably have to spend more on your engine then you did on your car to get those kind of numbers. My buddys stock trans am ls1 w/ auto trans runs a 13.7 on bald tires, I can't imagine how fast your buddys 600rwhp ws6 must have been. If you got the cash go for it, nothing better then seeing a little 4 banger rip on American muscle. My best advice, enjoy your brand new car. Learn everything about it, drive it hard, and when the good feeling of having a new car wears off, starting modding it. Nothing better then getting used to your car, then installing something new and falling in love again.
Old 09-22-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by black_si12
I believe it put down 420-450rwhp and 400rwtq. He used to have a nitrous kit, and back then it put down just under 600rwhp and rwtq. But he sold that a few months ago, so I don't have to worry about that. I've seen some civics make 600+hp so I was hoping after I get used to this car, I could spend some real money and get up to his level.
450whp is easily achievable with the prior generation of k24, but the new k24 hasn't been experimented with much yet so it's hard to say how well the head flows. Realistically you would need to spend $6000-$8000 on a turbo kit that would put you in the same power range as your buddy, but you might need to have some patience since most parts are in the development stage.
Old 09-22-2011
Registered!!

Don't know if this helps or not. But his car runs high 10's in the 1/4. with nitrous it was low 10's.
Old 09-23-2011
Registered!!

MatthaiN is an unknown quantity at this point

You also gotta watch it with that brand new car though as well. I imagine it has some sort of warranty right now through Honda and doing any un approved mods can void the warranty. If you do anything that modifies the engine you may need to contact them to see if it will void it or not. For now I would just focus on cosmetic and suspension if possible. More mods will come out as time progresses and more people experiment.
Old 11-10-2011
Registered!!

Leafsfan16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by black_si12
Don't know if this helps or not. But his car runs high 10's in the 1/4. with nitrous it was low 10's.
Well, looks like you bought the wrong car. To get 10 seconds out of a civic basically makes it unstreetable and you have to put the price you paid for it new into it again .. Should have just bought a new mustang, you would already be quite a few steps ahead. Not to sound like a stereotypical muscle car redneck but civics wern't meant to hang with muscle cars, there nice handling cars that are kind of sporty, I woudln't even go as far as to call an si a "sports car", its just a sporty version of a regular compact car.
Old 09-07-2012
Registered!!

B15Fred can only hope to improve

any updates??
Old 02-15-2015
Registered!!

Yogibear is an unknown quantity at this point
Upgrading 2012 si for track and supercharger

I apologize, don't know how to make a new thread. Anyways, I like most people am attempting to get more power out of my 2012 si, and realize the many difficulties due to the way the engine was designed etc. My goal is to make around roughly 300ish horsepower (give up to 20), and also realize this would have to be done via a supercharger. The reason i would like to keep it around 300 is due to the fact that i would like to keep the car relatively balanced with hp, stopping power and handling so when I decide to occasionally track it during the karting off season it will feel like a well set up car. I do not want to rush into a supercharger at the moment due to racing bills etc, but rather get parts that i can use with it so i can enjoy some more fun now. I currently have the megapower rr skunk exhaust with the biggest mm option and am looking into (for power) a hps air intake and skunk decated downpipe and maybe the unorthodox racing pulleys (Underdrive set). For next upcoming summer i would most likely take this combination in to my local tuner who would be able to give me relatively cheap tuning (so that isn't an issue). I would run this at mid ohio with suspension tuning etc just for some fun and spend some time learning the track with a semi exciting car. To get to the real question: Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i might be able to achieve a temporary goal of gaining 30 plus hp, and better response, for the time being with bolt ons and a tune using parts compatible with a supercharger? Also how compatible would the pulley kit be with the supercharger? (I apologize i am not mechanically inclined). Thank you very much for your time for anyone who replies.
Old 02-15-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Washing the dirt off it once in a while will make it slide thrrough the air more faster. All the other silly stuff mentioned will just compromise it's usefulness or how long it last. Just remember, you ask.
Old 03-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about
Re: Upgrading 2012 si for track and supercharger

Check out your turbo options as well, there is a section of the forum dedicated to forced induction. Nitro is another option you can likely find out more details in the racing section of the forum for details on both of these options. Your goal is a lot out of a 4 banger.
Old 02-21-2017
Registered!!

R18mugen is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you going to have to go force induction and you need to start with the basics first like an exhaust downpipes and I prefer a short ram intake but for this one maybe get the cold air intake when I see the 9th gen so they usually have a supercharger I never seen one with a turbo with that u should easily be around 400 and since the civic has torque and good weight you should run around 8 in a quarter mile don't forget weight reduction
Old 02-25-2017
Registered!!

buzzlightyear is an unknown quantity at this point

Build your suspension then your power, you can have all the power you want but if you cant corner then what the point of your power, start with a set of coilovers, maybe some wheels. really research your car and find out if you want a high compression N/A build or good the boosted route....at the end of the day time and thought need to go into your build bro