Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Simple request on 2007 shocks and struts

Old 03-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silsurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Simple request on 2007 shocks and struts

I have a 2007 Civic LX

The shocks are spent or so I am being told. The vehicle has 57,000 miles on it, so it makes sense.

The first place I got an estimate was $950. for all four shocks and rear struts. I was a bit shocked, but just need a little guidance.

The vehicle is in great condition, I use it for daily to and fro in the Los Angeles area.

Should I buy the parts myself and have them installed, or is this the ballpark for such service.

Thanks very much.

Henry
Old 03-23-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Simple request on 2007 shocks and struts

Did you have a specific complaint related to this, or did you go to a chain store and they are trying to UPSELL you a grand worth of stuff you probably don't need?

First off, what makes anyone think they are worn out? Mileage is not a good reason. This isn't a GM product from the 80s.

Leaking hydraulic oil? Good reason.
Bounce test fail? Good reason.
All 4 at the same time? Doubt it.

Rear tires loud and tread choppy? Not caused by shocks. Different problem.

A grand? Maybe.
Is it necessary? Someone had better be able to prove it to me before I'll believe it.
Old 03-23-2012
Registered!!

I was having the tires rotated at "discount tires" and they said the hydraulics are gone in the shocks. To me the ride seems pretty good, I did not notice and significant change in the feel or handling recently.

H
Old 03-23-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silsurf
I was having the tires rotated at "discount tires" and they said the hydraulics are gone in the shocks. To me the ride seems pretty good, I did not notice and significant change in the feel or handling recently.
Sounds like this guess was right: "you go to a chain store and they are trying to UPSELL you a grand worth of stuff you probably don't need?"

There is no profit in oil changes and tire rotations.
Guess where profit is generated at (most) chain stores.....(and sadly, many other shops too, indy and dealer alike.)

Like I said before, someone had better be able to prove they are needed before I would buy a darn thing.

Follow the money: 50,000 mile strut replacement recommendations come from the people that profit the most. Not the car manufacturer.
The struts used nowadays can last a quarter million miles for some people.
Some need them quite early OTOH.
There is no mile interval for replacement written in your maintenance section of your owners manual.

This ain't the 60s anymore.

I really doubt anyone will be able to prove they are needed this early in life. Not saying it's impossible, just really improbable.

C&P:

• 1 Test-drive the vehicle a bumpy road. Listen for noises of the struts bottoming out. Loud clunking noises when going over small to medium bumps may indicate weakness in the struts.
      Another aspect you'd be looking for is the handling of the vehicle going over the bumps. Is the bounce travel prolonged after striking the bumps? This test is not a confirmation that the struts are the actual culprit, but can certainly be contributing to the problem.

• 2 Jounce the suspension in the front or rear, or both. Place a knee and your body weight onto the bumper, bounce onto it and let it go. Watch the suspension, and determine how many times you can make it bounce after you're done jouncing it. More than two bounces indicates weakened suspension components. Also on this test, watch for side-to-side movement, as one strut on the same axle may be weaker than the other. This would be indicative of your vehicle leaning slightly to one side.

• 3 Inspect the struts visually, and even touch the towers of the struts. Look for leaking oily liquid, or caked-on dirt and grime from the roads that have caked onto the oily liquid. This would be indicative of leaking struts, and although you cannot ascertain how much hydraulic oil remains intact inside the strut, you cannot stop the leaking from occurring without replacing the struts.

Tips & Warnings

• Struts and any other suspension component should always be replaced in sets on the same axle to optimize the safety and suspension in your vehicle.
Old 03-24-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

the $900 ball park price tag sounds right (pretty good price actually)

if they use quality struts, then it should be somewhere around $500 for parts......that would mean labor would be around $400 which is right... (and if its a good shop, they will do an alignment for you as well)

i would ask what kind of struts they are planning to put in... i would HIGHLY recomend tokico blues. they are GREAT oem replacement and have lifetime warranty.

i would just buy them myself and bring it to a shop to do it.
Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

thanks so much, this is all really helpful

Henry
Old 03-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like a bad price, they are going to replace them with cheap shocks.

57 miles is NOT a good mileage to be replacing shocks, they should last ALOT longer assuming you dont eat potholes. (I have around 120k on my car and my shocks are fine)

Like ezone said they are more then likely selling you **** you dont need.

Get them checked by a trusted mechanic or friend. If your car isnt bouncing everywhere or there is no oil leaking from the shocks chances are they are still good.

How to do a quick test for yourself:
Push each corner of your car down with a quick push straight down. If the car comes right back up the shock is fine. If it comes right back up the shock is good. If the car bounces up and down before it stops bouncing they need to be replaced.
Old 03-31-2012
Registered!!

Awesome information, thanks very much!

Henry