Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Weight reduction

Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP_ME is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Weight reduction

I WANT my car LIGHT... I can actually feel it's not light enough... Is there any other things I can do to make it lighter? Other than Carbon fiber hood and taking spare tire out... One or two pounds will help...>_<
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

civicfreak84 is an unknown quantity at this point
you can search and you will see that this has been covered before.

backseat, gut the whole car, you can do many things it just depends how far you are willing to sacrifice comfort for performance.
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

Thanks, I'm new at this site...^_^
Old 06-06-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
lighter wheels is a major difference.....gut the interior. Carpeting in trunk, rear seats, door panels, CD player.
Old 06-06-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
remove the panels in the trunk, center councel, door panels, carpets.... anything you dont feel is ABSOLUTELY necessary.
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

nickm748 is an unknown quantity at this point
lighter exuaghst, i herd the tanabe and apexi are one of the lightest, the gram lights are lighte too.
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
You're not feeling the weight of the car..... you're feeling the awesome power of the D17
Old 06-06-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Best way to make your car faster through weight reduction.... Reduce rotating mass. Meaning Get the Smallest/lightest wheels you can (A Nice Light 15X7 will do) Get a Lightened Fly wheel, If you want to spend the time, you can have the gears in your transmission Drilled and balanced, Bascally you want any thing that your engine has to get to rotate to be as light as possible.

Just to reinforce this, Its been found that a reduction in rotational weight has a 70% more positive effect on performance then a similar reduction in Static weight. I.E. a 10LB drop in wheel weight is equal to a 17LB drop in static weight....
Old 06-06-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Try having a sub, amps, body kit, and dynamat all over the car. Now that's weighed down. All I've done is take the spare out and get some fix-a-flat.

If you're really hardcore, you can strip off all the factory sound deadening. Your car is gonna be louder than anything, so go with better tires. Keep the rims small. I have Honda 15" alloys that are slightly lighter than stock. That will help the most.
Old 06-06-2004
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
About a week ago, all i had on the interior of my car was the full dash, carpeting, and ep3 recaro seats which are really light. I took of all other interior panels and i noticed an increase in performance. Reducing sprung weight however is where you should look first, ie spoon 15's - 9 lbs each.
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

NICE... thumbs up to you guys... ^_^
Old 06-06-2004
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by HustleLikeM0FO
You're not feeling the weight of the car..... you're feeling the awesome power of the D17

lol... thats a good one.

Anyway, you should figure about every 100lbs reduced in weight will equal around a tenth of a second shaved off your 1/4 mile time. Thats a pretty accurate guesstimate. It takes a lot of weight reduction to make a nice noticable difference.
Old 06-06-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by thiscrackerntam
lol... thats a good one.

Anyway, you should figure about every 100lbs reduced in weight will equal around a tenth of a second shaved off your 1/4 mile time. Thats a pretty accurate guesstimate. It takes a lot of weight reduction to make a nice noticable difference.

LOL........you watched Horsepower TV today
Old 06-06-2004
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough
I worked today you jackass.
Old 06-06-2004
Premium Member

I worked today you jackass.

lol.........they did weight reduction on a nova and they said the same exact thing ...... *****
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

you guys are good...
Old 06-06-2004
Banned

Whatever...u guys have nothing better to do than to watch Horsepower TV on the weekends when you have time off? You guys r ****. I know that weight reduction formula from personal experience.
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

Horsepower TV? I dunno about that... but thanks a lot man...
Old 06-06-2004
Premium Member

Whatever...u guys have nothing better to do than to watch Horsepower TV on the weekends when you have time off? You guys r ****. I know that weight reduction formula from personal experience.
wow, wtf is ur problem....... chill out.

I work hard 6 days a wk and the only time i get to relax and watch tv is sunday mornings. Get a grip.
Old 06-06-2004
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
ok.... ???

Anyway, besides removing weight, think about not adding some. Slim down and don't put a huge wing on it, don't carry too many passengers... that kinda stuff...
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

cosmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by HELP_ME
I WANT my car LIGHT... I can actually feel it's not light enough... Is there any other things I can do to make it lighter? Other than Carbon fiber hood and taking spare tire out... One or two pounds will help...>_<
How much do you wiegh? Try removing your own spare tire (if you have one), that will help ya out alot more than loosing onces here and there. Just a thought.
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

haha... I'm 6"1 and I weight 150lb. I don't really carry passengers... other than my gf...
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
and gfs are always a good 50 lbs
rrriiggghhttt

remove her also less weight.. and less Maintenance problems (bitching)
Old 06-07-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Hahaha. LOL!
Old 06-09-2004
Registered!!

gangrel138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah. Remove that passenger seat and you won't have to worry about hauling anybody else around. LOL
Old 06-11-2004
Registered!!

popNfresh is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by HELP_ME
Are you looking to gain times in the straight line quarter mile? If so going all out on weight reduction will help, but if you plan to autoX and take the twisties, you may affect the handling of your car by altering the front/rear weight distribution.
Old 01-11-2009
Registered!!

D16Fiend is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Weight reduction

Anyway, you should figure about every 100lbs reduced in weight will equal around a tenth of a second shaved off your 1/4 mile time. Thats a pretty accurate guesstimate.
but the lighter your car, the more effective your power is

(usually, unless you get so light you can't hookup )
Old 01-11-2009
Registered!!

D16Fiend is an unknown quantity at this point

speaking in a drag racing perspective. as poster above said, setting off the balance farther from 50/50 will negatively affect handling
Old 01-11-2009
Registered!!

Bu-NutZ is an unknown quantity at this point

work the suspension, then just add more power & torque, slam a h22 in there i love that combo
Old 01-11-2009
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

thank you. i like reading history. so nostalgic!

(thread is from 06-11-2004)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weight reduction