Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

2002 Civic ex brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rahway09 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic ex brakes

hey guys im looking to change the brakes on my civic i was just wondering what i needed to buy like rotors and brake pads and etc and about how much it costs and where i can buy them
Old 12-02-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: 2002 Civic ex brakes

You can buy them at any auto parts store.

The cost could be anywhere from $100-$500 depending on the parts you choose.
Old 12-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

OEM rotors are best, HAWK HPS pads are the best. You need that and about half an hour per side if you take your time and you have yourself a great brake setup .
Old 12-03-2010
Registered!!

is that all i need just brake pads and rotors?
Old 12-03-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

You supposed to put on anti-squeak compound on the back of the pads, I never have. costs about $2

When was the last time you flushed your brake fluid?
Old 12-03-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

pretty much. if its been 3 yrs, may as well do the brake fluid too.
Old 12-06-2010
Registered!!

i have only had the car for about a year and i dont know if they have done the brake fluid
Old 12-06-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

If the brake pedal feels spongy and you need to push hard to get a response then you need to flush your brake fluid. Even if its not displaying those symptoms you should do it anyway since you don't know when it was last done, and the fluid costs about $10 and only takes 20 minutes.
Old 12-06-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

also if the fluid looks dark instead of clear/honey, its time for new.
Old 12-06-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Are you planning on changing them yourself?
woops... thought they were harder to extract...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ads-rotor.html

Last edited by sdaidoji; 12-06-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

i was thinking about it but it depends on how difficult it is ?
Old 12-07-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Changing my brake pads was the first DIY I ever did and I had no trouble, you can even search on youtube and find quite a few videos on it. I would consider it easier than changing your own oil.
Old 12-07-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Not easier than changing your oil I say, but still pretty simple. Sometimes it amazes me that people still pay hundreds of dollars ( In Canada ) for a pad change, could be up to three hundred for pads + rotors!!!
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

wat is the hardest part of doing it ? yea a couple places were charging me like 300 for the brakes and rotors
Old 12-07-2010
Whachya lookin at?

The hardest part? honestly? The only tricky part may be removing the rotors from the hub because they might be seized on. If you get the rotors turned (Which could save you money, instead of buying new ones) you have to be gentle getting them off, you can't hit them with a hammer because you will destroy them. Oh yes, and the two philips screws that are screwed on the rotor can be a bich to get off. I had to use an impact screwdriver to get mine off because they were on so tight. The funny thing is, they are useless. The only thing they are used for is during manufacturing so the rotors don't fall off while the car is being moved down the line.
Old 12-07-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I find it easier than changing oil, because I hate the location of the oil filter.

The hardest part for someone new might be figuring out which bolts to remove, but it shows you exactly where they are in our DIY. Stuck rotors can be tricky, but lots of PB blaster and a rubber mallet will get them off without too much trouble.
Old 12-07-2010
Whachya lookin at?

I'd still say it's the stupid philips screws. Because if you aren't told they exist... it puts the brake job to an instant halt. Don't go out and buy an impact screwdriver like I did though, because after those four screws/bolts are off, you'll never use the tool again Be smart and borrow one instead.
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

ok thanks guys im going to buy the parts and do it myself within the next month.
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

what kind of rotors should i get, where do i get them and how much are they?
Old 12-07-2010
Whachya lookin at?

As I stated above OEM rotors are best from the Honda dealership, Hawk HPS pads I don't think you will be able to buy locally so the best place is to order them off the net. Just search around until you find the best price... that being said, I'd stil with blanks (NOT SLOTTED OR DRILLED ROTORS), as they tend to have the best overall performance.

Very important things once youve installed new rotors + pads:

Don't overtorque the wheels, its the easiest way to warp your brand new rotors. ( which I learned the hard way ) (80 ft/lbs, use a torque wrench)
Take your time and do it right, the last thing you want is brakes that fail, it's not only dangerous to you but everyone else on the road as well.
Take your rotors to a mechanic shop and see if they can be turned. If they can, it only costs 20 dollars / rotor instead of 70+.
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

ok thanks so much for the help
Old 12-08-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

if u have an autozone around you, get the duralast gold pads. (their best brake pad they offer)

they offer SUPERB stopping power, great dust reduction, VERY QUIET.....and LIFE TIME WARRENTY.

as for rotors. oem is best. brembo is ok. and pretty much any blank rotor is fine. pads matter more than rotors.
Old 12-08-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

hawk hp > autozone duralast

but duralast are almost as good. as for every day application u wont see a difference.