1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

89 Civic Has no spark at plugs

Old 04-28-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89civicdvr is an unknown quantity at this point
89 Civic Has no spark at plugs

My 89 civic has sat for almost 2 years, I would start it every week, then I let it go for about 2 months, when I try to start it, it wants to turn over, I've got no spark on the plugs and I can't hear the fuel pump or main relay turn on when I go to start it, I've replaced the main relay & I can't tell if it's the computer or the distributor, does anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-28-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: 89 Civic Has no spark at plugs

Did you check the voltage at the battery?
Old 04-28-2011
Registered!!

Yea the battery is fine, it turns over good, has great starting power, you can hear the starter clicking over and the engine trying to start. It's always ran strong but like I said, when you turn it to accessories right before start up I can't hear the main relay click or the fuel pump hum, so I can't figure out if it's the computer, the distributor or what. I just replaced the main relay.
Old 04-28-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Distributor wouldn't be the problem. Are you getting 12V to the relay? Is it throwing any codes?
Old 04-28-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

hmm..

weird things start happening when a car sits, i'll need to think on this one.
Old 04-28-2011
Registered!!

I honestly haven't run a code scanner on it as I don't have access to one, I've got power to the relay so I can't figure out what the hold up would be other than possibly the computer.
Old 04-28-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

You don't need a code reader: Pull back the passenger carpet to expose the ECU in the foot well (it's kinda up front by the firewall). Turn the ignition to ON and read the blinks of the little light on the ECU. long blink= 10, short blink= 1
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

d0wnShiFt is an unknown quantity at this point

Check under the steering column, go to your fuse box located right next to it and replace the alternator solenoid fuse. It should be a 10 amp, check to see if its blown. If it is, thats your problem.
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

The ECU isn't turning on at all, and none of the fuses are blown in the fuse box, I've already checked that, I thought the big brass colored box under the passenger floorboard was the computer, if that's the ECU than that's probably what it is.
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

Find the power wire to it and see if it's even getting power. If it is, then the ECU is bad. It happens, it's a 22 year old car.

Absolutely cheapest place to get another is: http://www.picknpull.com/default.aspx They run about $40-50 at P-N-P and there are TONS of EFs in their yards. Or try local CL. Or here for nationwide salvage listings: http://www.car-part.com/ If all else fails I can pull one from the yard here and mail it to you. Good luck and post results.