1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

95 Honda Civic Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
psychexero is an unknown quantity at this point
95 Honda Civic Starting issues

I have a 95 Honda Civic EX, manual transmission. The problem that I have with it starting is that after I put the key in, push in the clutch and turn the key, I get a soft click, and no start. Sometimes after waiting a while or pumping the clutch (I'm pretty sure that's coincidence when it works) it will eventually start. However, that momentary panic of the car not starting is getting old. It doesn't happen all the time, it seems to be very intermittent. Some mornings it behaves! Once the car is started in the morning, it starts fine for the rest of the day.

So far I have replaced:
Spark plugs
Fuel Pump
Distributor
ICM
Wires are good, they were recently replaced and tested when spark plugs were replaced.
Battery was replaced last summer, good current there.

Any suggestions? A direction to go? I'm at my wits end (and so is my dad!)

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

J-Master Flex is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 95 Honda Civic Starting issues

If you haven't already done so, check the timing to make sure you're engine is firing properly. If it's not that, it could be your alternator. If both of those are fine, then when you try to start your engine, turn the key to "On" but don't start it until the fuel pump is done pressurizing the system, see if that works better for you.

Is your engine cranking but not turning over, or is it clicking noise made when the battery is dead?

Last edited by J-Master Flex; 10-05-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

This morning I started thinking it was the alternator. It's like it just doesn't quite have enough power to turn over.
I doesn't crank, it just gives one click (not the click click click I'm familiar with on alternators going out). Everything else will power on...
When I tried starting it, after coaxing it from clicking, it gave a half-hearted attempt at starting... I gave it about a minute and tried again, and it fired right up. But I shut it off, came inside, started coffee, went back out (5 minutes max) and we're right back at square one. It's like the alternator isn't charging the battery, or SOMETHING.

And I've already been waiting for the fuel pump to pressurize, but thanks for the tip there!
Old 10-05-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Mine did that a few times. Turns out I had loose connection on the battery terminal. I had to ghetto rig it because the cable is kinda messed up ATM. I mean, that might not be the issue at all, but better to start with the common sense stuff first.
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

I had my alternator sieze up completely just recently, and the car was very weak when turning over, and my Check Engine Light came on as a result. Replacing an alternator is pretty easy, as long as the bolts aren't siezed up. Run you about $200 for the part if you trade in your core, and I'm sure a shop will charge you twice as much to do it.
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

Yeah, my intent is to take my car to an autozone or o'reillys tomorrow to have them test the alternator/battery. And go from there. Other than those options (I checked the terminals, they're still clean and well connected!), any other directions to go/look at?
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by J-Master Flex
I had my alternator sieze up completely just recently, and the car was very weak when turning over, and my Check Engine Light came on as a result. Replacing an alternator is pretty easy, as long as the bolts aren't siezed up. Run you about $200 for the part if you trade in your core, and I'm sure a shop will charge you twice as much to do it.
Should be a guy in your town who rebuilds alternators and such. Find that guy and they can usually get it rebuilt for $50 or so and you can usually have it back the next day.
Old 10-06-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
Should be a guy in your town who rebuilds alternators and such. Find that guy and they can usually get it rebuilt for $50 or so and you can usually have it back the next day.
Unfortunately, I live in a town where it's hard to trust the mechanics unless you personally know them. And the one's I personally knew don't rebuild alternators. Besides, I figured I wouldn't have to worry about one that was fresh from the factory. Even with the added cost, I still think it was worth it.