1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

Stuck Brake Light Switch

Old 12-23-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88CivicDad is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuck Brake Light Switch

Like the username implies, it's an '88 Civic.

Got a sticking brake light switch (brake lights stay ON when car is off). I have not yet crawled under the dash to check it out. Anybody know if this is a common problem, and what's the likely cause? Will I likely need to clean it, or just replace it?

Thanks.
Jack
Old 12-23-2007
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Stuck Brake Light Switch

Not sure the switch could be cleaned ?? Make sure the plunger is in and releasing when pedal pushed. Unplug switch connector as a quick diagnosis (and to save battery, or pull fuse)
Old 12-23-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

arent those switches cheap anyway? could just have gotten worn out.
Old 12-24-2007
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

i ran into the same problem on my 91 all 4th gen civics 88-91 have this problem and i'm not sure if other gens have it too.

the problem is not the switch ( it could be but unlikly) the problem i had was the plastic disk that pushes the switch cracked and fell out. so theres now a hole in the pedal where that plastic thing was. i just went to home depot and got a bolt and locknut. dont remimber the size though. installed it in the hole and never had a problem since.
Old 12-27-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
...Unplug switch connector as a quick diagnosis (and to save battery, or pull fuse)
Doh! Why didn't I think of that?
Originally Posted by gearbox
arent those switches cheap anyway? could just have gotten worn out.
I just didn't want to do it and find out that wasn't the problem.
Originally Posted by DieMaster
i ran into the same problem on my 91 all 4th gen civics 88-91 have this problem and i'm not sure if other gens have it too.

the problem is not the switch ( it could be but unlikly) the problem i had was the plastic disk that pushes the switch cracked and fell out. so theres now a hole in the pedal where that plastic thing was. i just went to home depot and got a bolt and locknut. dont remimber the size though. installed it in the hole and never had a problem since.
Now, that may have saved me some time and money. That's the first thing I'll check, thanks.

Jack
Old 01-12-2008
Registered!!

And that is why I joined. Nice job, it's as if you were looking at the car. I even found bits of the disk on the floorboard.

Thanks.
Jack
Old 01-30-2008
Registered!!

civicninitwo will become famous soon enoughcivicninitwo will become famous soon enough

This is a little tip to help those with this same problem. You can use one of the plastic door panel clips (holds the door panel to the door) Best of all it's something that you already own if you are having this problem.FREE!
Old 02-10-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by civicninitwo

This is a little tip to help those with this same problem. You can use one of the plastic door panel clips (holds the door panel to the door) Best of all it's something that you already own if you are having this problem.FREE!
Funny, that's exactly what I used, only I bought it rather than taking it from the door. I had to use a washer behind it.

Jack
Old 02-17-2008
Registered!!

MultiCRX is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Jack,
I was gonna' help ya' w/that one, but they were all over you before I could get there. It IS a common problem.....and what is so funny is I used a push pin too.... Usually, unless you see the lights on...the battery might run down or get a little sluggish... happened to my wife's CRX.

Pupfriend,
uh, MultiCRX
Old 07-03-2009
Registered!!

traveler928 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow that's really good info my 97 Civic is having the same problem. Can you explain a little further how you made the fix using the door clip? I know what the switch looks like but I can't picture the broken piece that may be causing the problem.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2009

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

It will push into a hole in the brake pedal arm the disc at the top allows the contact between the 2 to be plastic to plastic & not metal to plastic.
Attached Images  

Last edited by CraigW; 07-03-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2009
Registered!!

traveler928 is an unknown quantity at this point

That worked!!!

You guys just saved me over $50 and a ton of hassle.

Thanks for saving the day.
Old 07-03-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

I don't get it. Are you saying the (P) parking brake light on the dash is stuck on? Why would you bother with the brake pedal arm?
Old 07-04-2009

The brake lights in rear were staying on.
When the plastic bit comes out the switch does not get pushed back in to open circuit.
Old 09-23-2009
Registered!!

oldskoolSi is an unknown quantity at this point

I had same problem, but now after replacing the plastic clip into the brake pedal, when ever i push on brakes my dash lights up.... and when the headlights go on - my rear brake lights go on... WTF? i cleaned battery terminals & checked fuses. maybe a ground some where? it was all working fine (87 civic hatch Si) till the plastic disc disintergrated. Any help or ideas are appreciated - Thanks
Old 09-24-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

maybe you installed the clip wrong and the brake pedal is grounding out somewhere? idk its hard to say
Old 09-24-2009

One of your rear brake/tail bulbs is causing the problem... Somehow the 2 normally separate filaments have gotten together feeding voltage into each others circuit.
Old 09-24-2009
Registered!!

oldskoolSi is an unknown quantity at this point

Craig - you're a genius! As I checked the tail light bulbs... I saw 1 of the light sockets was melted apparently from BOTH filaments being lit all day...or at least til my battery died. Hopefully I can find a replacement socket and just splice in the new one. MANY THANKS
Old 01-24-2010
Registered!!

F95DX is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Stuck Brake Light Switch

Originally Posted by 88CivicDad
Like the username implies, it's an '88 Civic.

Got a sticking brake light switch (brake lights stay ON when car is off). I have not yet crawled under the dash to check it out. Anybody know if this is a common problem, and what's the likely cause? Will I likely need to clean it, or just replace it?

Thanks.
Jack
well first you're going to have to get under there to take a look because it could be just the little plastic part thats held on by a plastic o-ring if not the it's the actual switch lets not hope so lol
Old 04-24-2010
Registered!!

krw7261 is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently have exactly the same problem with sticking brake lights and I also had blue pieces on the floorboard. I thought it came from my air freshener (also blue). So after googeling my problem, I found this forum and I was now able to find a rubber washer to temporary fix the problem because it's already 10:45 PM. My lights are now out and I will search for a bolt and locknut or a push pin during daylight.
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and helped me as a female solve a mystery on my poor little Honda, which is now falling apart in bits and pieces.
Old 04-25-2010

I would try to stay with plastic if possible for the replacement, my 7th gen had a plastic insert as well. There must be a reason to do so.
Old 05-10-2010
Registered!!

PwrdByDeezLipz is an unknown quantity at this point

I just recently had the same problem with my 97 Honda civic and found little blue remains of this blue stopper looking thing. We rigged it with a piece of rubber and a safety tie. The only problem was it had drained my optima so it took a day to get it fully charged back up.
Old 05-12-2010
Registered!!

mikey1992 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i did the same thing with the door panel clip and it worked! on my 97 ek coupe
Thanx for the great idea..i really appreciate it
Old 05-29-2010
Registered!!

cmcdonald74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all in this forum. I have a 95 civic EX - 5 speed manual trans and had the brake light issue. Fixed it with a door clip. For some reason after I fixed the brake light problem, I've had my cruise control stop working. Anyone had this problem?
Old 06-10-2010
Registered!!

ericsm is an unknown quantity at this point

nice info given here
Old 08-13-2010
Registered!!

Laura265 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bravo, everyone - what an incredibly helpful forum. I just fixed mine with a plastic anchor - just found the right size and slipped it right into the hole, making a plastic-to-plastic connection. No more lights on. I can't imagine how much my repair guy would have charged me. Thanks, alot!!
Old 09-29-2010
Registered!!

godfather is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everyone, I found the same blue plastic piece on the floorboard and I put it back in and the brake lights are off again. you guys are genius.
Old 10-04-2010
Registered!!

H3RKID is an unknown quantity at this point

bummmmppp someone help me with my issue plz!!!!! NEED HELP ASAP!!!! read my forum and comment with a solution plz!!!!
Old 10-04-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by H3RKID
bummmmppp someone help me with my issue plz!!!!! NEED HELP ASAP!!!! read my forum and comment with a solution plz!!!!
Old 10-24-2010
Registered!!

supra661 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cmcdonald74
Thanks to all in this forum. I have a 95 civic EX - 5 speed manual trans and had the brake light issue. Fixed it with a door clip. For some reason after I fixed the brake light problem, I've had my cruise control stop working. Anyone had this problem?

I can probably help with that... The M/T clutch switches (both the one for the cruise control, AND the one for the starter interrupt circuit) have the same little plug on the clutch pedal to make contact with them. On my car, they literally ALL broke at the same time...

For you, you have it fairly easy, the cruise control switch is pretty easy to get to. Just look over on that pedal for the same situation as the brake light switch, you'll see another switch over there poking through a hole in the pedal.

You're definitely lucky though. You have to remove the clutch pedal assembly to get to the one for the starter interrupt, because it is wayyyy up top in there and surrounded by metal.... In fact at the moment I have the whole pedal out of my car. I guess I'm going to just go ahead and order the Honda replacement part from the stealership since the last ones lasted for 200,000 miles and 15 years or so...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck Brake Light Switch