6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

98 Civic AWD Conversion

Old 11-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98D16Y8CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic AWD Conversion

Not sure where I need to put this or if it's been covered before, but here it is.

I'm wanting to do an AWD conversion to my 1998 Civic EX and was wondering if the 98 CRV drivetrain will fit right up to my motor (D16Y8).

Any comments or advice on this will be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: 98 Civic AWD Conversion

not this **** again.

but if this is a serious question: no it wont bolt up, and extreme modification will have to be done to make ur civic AWD. you'd be the first to do the CRV conversion.
Old 11-28-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

here's a DIY guide
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2763036

only difference is it's for a '92 civic, but you get the idea
Old 11-28-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

You guys don't know what your talking about.

You just need to grab a set of CRV wheels and put them on the Civic. Bam, AWD!
Old 11-28-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

On a side note, I didn't know he sold the Cibaru for only $5500..

Damn, I would've traded my EM2 for that in a heart beat.

Last edited by MindBomber; 11-29-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-28-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
You guys don't know what your talking about.

You just need to grab a set of CRV wheels and put them on the Civic. Bam, AWD!
Are we talking about just the rear ones or all four? what about the tranny and transfer case/rear diff/driveshaft?

I really want to do this and am looking for serious help with this.

On a side note, my Haynes manual has nothing in it for different transmission except AT and MT. Does that mean that the CRV, Integra and Civic for those years that the book covers (not entirely sure, the book is down in the car) have the same transmission?
Old 11-28-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

stop. He's being facetious. The only way to do a real AWD conversion is either get a damn good deal on everything you find and do all the work yourself like the Cibaru, or pay out the m-effing *** for full on custom work.
Old 11-29-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Yeah sorry, that was an inside joke op, from a joke thread awhile back.

The honest response is that unless you have a fully equipped shop, insane experience and a great hook up at the junk yard to get cheap parts it would be impossible. If you seriously want awd, you would me much better off buying an car that has awd from the factory. An X drive BMW, Quattro Audi, AWD Impreza or AWD lancer would all probably cost less than having this done for you without the headaches of custom fabrication.

To my knowledge the Cibaru is the only AWD Civic ever even attempted, and thats not so much a drive train swap as it is a body swap. Sorry for the let down.

Just curious, why do you want to switch to AWD?
Old 11-29-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

judging by his location, KY, it snows cats n dogs and AWD cars have an advantage.
Old 11-29-2010
Registered!!

well, when it snows here, yeah it snows like cats and dogs and the City of Louisville is about 10 years behind everyone else when it comes to snow removal.

As far as wanting the AWD, I really like the idea of doing this build more as a learning experience more than anything.

To my knowledge the Cibaru is the only AWD Civic ever even attempted
-- I have seen YouTube vids of an AWD civic using the AWD components from the civc of the mid to late 80's, but it's only got the stock differential with a 90/10 split front/rear. What I would like to do is get the AWD system on my car with a 50/50 or 40/60 front/rear split on the diff.
Old 11-29-2010
Registered!!

FGsmasher has a spectacular aura aboutFGsmasher has a spectacular aura aboutFGsmasher has a spectacular aura about

Yea, OP... good luck with that one

Old 11-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxtf3_IHTfs
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2618576

Actually, they seem to be real... not sure how much is true, though... B20? bored and/stroked engine?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-29-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 98D16Y8CivicEX
On a side note, my Haynes manual has nothing in it for different transmission except AT and MT. Does that mean that the CRV, Integra and Civic for those years that the book covers (not entirely sure, the book is down in the car) have the same transmission?
huhn... you are kidding, right?
Haynes is a manual for regular cars, not to heavily modify the car...
trolling in the end?
Anyway, not sure how much they are serious, but there are threads of CRV installed cars.
Old 11-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

OMG! The guy on the link - he lives in the same town as me...
And his videos - they are really nashville super speedway...
And the B20's does exist in CRV flavour...
It seems to be real...
Old 11-29-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
OMG! The guy on the link - he lives in the same town as me...
And his videos - they are really nashville super speedway...
And the B20's does exist in CRV flavour...
It seems to be real...
Regardless if it's real or not, it's still a massive **** ton of custom work to fit everything. The driveshaft would probably travel down the same "niche" the exhaust pipes goes through, which would require a custom exhaust and possibly cutting into the floorboard to make sure you're not dragging the midpipe. Furthermore, you'd probably have to get a small fuel cell or a custom fuel tank to fit the rear axle, since a Civic just has rear wheels spin on their own rear knuckle assembly.

To the OP, it's really gonna require a MASSIVE ton of custom work. If you have the means and funds, then please, share the progress, because I think this would be an awesome project to follow. For us that don't have the hookups and financial backing that you may have, it's a project that's a bit out of our reach.
Old 11-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Regardless if it's real or not, it's still a massive **** ton of custom work to fit everything. The driveshaft would probably travel down the same "niche" the exhaust pipes goes through, which would require a custom exhaust and possibly cutting into the floorboard to make sure you're not dragging the midpipe. Furthermore, you'd probably have to get a small fuel cell or a custom fuel tank to fit the rear axle, since a Civic just has rear wheels spin on their own rear knuckle assembly.

To the OP, it's really gonna require a MASSIVE ton of custom work. If you have the means and funds, then please, share the progress, because I think this would be an awesome project to follow. For us that don't have the hookups and financial backing that you may have, it's a project that's a bit out of our reach.
yes, in one of the vids, you can see the exhaust squeezed with the driveaxle in the center tunnel, so custom piping, among other stuff. amazing work, though.
Did you see the civic with a s2k fitted in in the thread? And the other guy saying that he wants to put the s2k, but doesn't want the engine to be in the rear ( - that was too much...) but the thread sounds real...
Old 11-29-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Hey, if you can make it fit, then go ahead and stick it in...

Please, PLEASE, someone say it!
Old 11-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

if one wants really bad, have the time, the money, the space and the skill, i will believe anything is likely possible.
the first guy that did fit a jet engine in a car was likely that
Old 11-29-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for all the opinions on this matter as it is helping me narrow down what exactly i need to do with this car.

As far as the exhaust work goes, yes i know it will have to be a custom job on that, and I think i know of a way to keep it from being too much in the way. I was thinking of getting a "flattened" pipe setup for the exhaust.

The fuel tank is not too much in the way of where the rear diff will go, but if I have to, I should be able to switch fuel tanks with the donor CRV (with some slight modifications to it).

Hey, if you can make it fit, then go ahead and stick it in...

Please, PLEASE, someone say it!
I'll make it fit...
Old 11-29-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

-- I have seen YouTube vids of an AWD civic using the AWD components from the civc of the mid to late 80's, but it's only got the stock differential with a 90/10 split front/rear. What I would like to do is get the AWD system on my car with a 50/50 or 40/60 front/rear split on the diff.

In most production AWD setups, there is a significant power bias to the rear wheels. An Audi with quattro for example is 90/10 to the rear wheels. Whats making you lean toward a 50/50 or 60/40 split, what are your plans for this car if you pull it off?

Also, I'm curious about what kind of past mechanical experience you have to be attempting this?
Old 11-29-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Also, did some searching and the conversion has been done a couple times into hatches and an Integra, but from what I read they were built by race shops, not exactly DIY backyard stuff.
Old 11-29-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for all the opinions on this matter as it is helping me narrow down what exactly i need to do with this car.

As far as the exhaust work goes, yes i know it will have to be a custom job on that, and I think i know of a way to keep it from being too much in the way. I was thinking of getting a "flattened" pipe setup for the exhaust.

The fuel tank is not too much in the way of where the rear diff will go, but if I have to, I should be able to switch fuel tanks with the donor CRV (with some slight modifications to it).

I'll make it fit...
I was looking for a "That's what she said," but good try.
Old 11-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

If he have the means and the will, I will not stop him, as long as he understands that it could fail in the end (things happen). Anything in life includes risks, just need to be aware of them.
Now, a flattened exhaust does not sound too right...
Can't take the responsibility, though, since in the end this is an internet advice...
Old 11-29-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
If he have the means and the will, I will not stop him, as long as he understands that it could fail in the end (things happen). Anything in life includes risks, just need to be aware of them.
Now, a flattened exhaust does not sound too right...
Can't take the responsibility, though, since in the end this is an internet advice...
As far as the means go, i'm working on that. The will is definitely there though.

Why does a flattened exhaust not sound right? What would be the drawback to taking a reg 2" pipe and just squishing it down a little?

And yes, i know this involves a little risk, but I'm willing to take the good and the bad that comes with this project. Not really sure what exactly I want to do with it once it's done, but autocross is about the only thing that really comes to mind.
Old 11-29-2010
Registered!!

In most production AWD setups, there is a significant power bias to the rear wheels. An Audi with quattro for example is 90/10 to the rear wheels. Whats making you lean toward a 50/50 or 60/40 split, what are your plans for this car if you pull it off?

Also, I'm curious about what kind of past mechanical experience you have to be attempting this?
I'm leaning towards the 50/50 or 40/60 front/rear split because i want as much power as I can to all four corners. I'm really trying to make this car a "grip car", if you will, because where I normally drive at there's just so many fun roads that have multiple corners on them.

Past mechanical experience? As far as cars go, i've rebuilt a few motor parts and done all work on all my cars that I've owned over the past years, so I have some mechanical exp. but not as much as I'd like to. Doing something like this will be as much of a learning experience as anything else.

Who doesn't like to tinker with their own car?
Old 11-29-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Tinkering is great, I'm looking into a buying project car that I can tinker with at the moment. More than likely an E30 BMW, I want something that I can screw up on and still have a way to get to work the next day. Overtime, building it up into a rally set-up.

I think the thing that will break the bank is all the custom pieces that go into a build like this.
Old 11-29-2010
Registered!!

I think the thing that will break the bank is all the custom pieces that go into a build like this.
That's why I love having friends with connections to cheap parts and having the cost of labor reduced to a couple of cases of beer!
Old 11-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

I'm leaning towards the 50/50 or 40/60 front/rear split because i want as much power as I can to all four corners.
don't forget to have your italian mafia style body bag in the trunk to compensate for the light rear weight of the car when you do that torque adjustment
you need more tractiuon where the weight is
Old 11-29-2010
Administrator
Administrator

****, if you have the means, I'd try and incorporate Subaru's driver controlled center differential. You can adjust that thing however you want

http://www.driveperformance.subaru.c.../blueprint.asp
Old 11-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Why does a flattened exhaust not sound right? What would be the drawback to taking a reg 2" pipe and just squishing it down a little?
If you think yourself as the engine, and the exhaust is your "exhaust pipe" (organically saying, that is), well, when morning comes and you feel that organic need that we all have, you will want to not have any type of restriction on the output pipe... is what i meant...
Of course a little restriction is needed so you have enough motivation to get fast enough to the nearest restroom. (i.e. low end torque - helps in acceleration.)
Good luck on your build and study the basics of car dynamics - you seem to need it...
Will not stop you, of course, since it sounds interesting

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Civic AWD Conversion