6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Transmission fluid dipstick loose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mnea is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission fluid dipstick loose?

Went to check the transmission fluid level and the dipstick doesn't really feel like is fitting all that securely in the filler hole; it just seems to come off way too easily...almost like it's just sitting on top kinda loosely. What's the deal with that...any concerns?

With that said, in the image I attached, does it mean that I can install the dipstick back anywhere in that 45 degree range or am I supposed to twist it to lock it into position or what?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	transmission fluid dipstick.gif
Views:	5485
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	78794  
Old 07-22-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Transmission fluid dipstick loose?

The 7th gens got an improved dipstick (after 5 years that is) I looked around at hondapartsnow and the 6th gens appear to have a new part # as well.

I bet the new one would have a better fit.
Old 07-22-2010
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mnea
Went to check the transmission fluid level and the dipstick doesn't really feel like is fitting all that securely in the filler hole; it just seems to come off way too easily...almost like it's just sitting on top kinda loosely. What's the deal with that...any concerns?

With that said, in the image I attached, does it mean that I can install the dipstick back anywhere in that 45 degree range or am I supposed to twist it to lock it into position or what?

Thanks!
Mine is the same way, but never seems to fall out.
Old 07-22-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its a problem because AT fluid can leak out. my whole trans was covered in fluid from the dipstick hole. new stick fixed the problem and now im leak free.
Old 10-23-2011
I'm back...

RavensHonor is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm looking for a new dipstick myself as I'm having the same problem. Loose dipstick, leaking ATF fluid... I can't seem to find the part anywhere.
Old 10-23-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just go to any honda dealer and ask them to look it up. the dealer here even stocks it. or go on www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and order from there.
Old 10-24-2011
I'm back...

Dropped by Cleo Bay Honda in Tx this morning. New dipstick will be there tomorrow morning.
Old 10-26-2011
I'm back...

Soooooo, the new one was identical to the one that was already loose as hell, Dimensions and all. I smell a recurring issue...
Old 10-26-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ Is yours a 6th or 7th gen Civic ?

The one for my 7th is a much better fit.
Old 10-26-2011
Premium Member

well it should look the same, there is no reason to change the shape because then it wont read the fluid level properly. the new one fits much tighter now right? over time yes the rubber will start to shrink again when trans fluid gets on it. nothing you can really do except replace it every few years. and wipe off around the inside of the hole with a towel before installing the new dipstick, being careful not to let dirt fall in.

Originally Posted by RavensHonor
Soooooo, the new one was identical to the one that was already loose as hell, Dimensions and all. I smell a recurring issue...