6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Popping noise when I turn my car

Old 12-12-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mdawg is on a distinguished road
Popping noise when I turn my car

Anytime Im making a sharp turn or pulling out of a parking lot and turn left or right my wheels make this weird popping noise?? My dad said it may be a busted boot or something? This a easy fix or not?
Old 12-12-2008
Registered!!

99WhiteJDM will become famous soon enough99WhiteJDM will become famous soon enough
Re: Popping noise when I turn my car

CV axle boot/joints could be a couple of things. I've never messed with them. I just get a shop to replace them. From what I hear your better off replacing them instead of rebuilding them. I think what happens is the grease comes out of them and the friction makes them pop. I also think if you don't have the money to replace them right away you could not put power to them when you turn. I know when mine did that on my CRX a long time ago, I would just coast thru the turns and give it gas when the wheels were straight.
Old 12-12-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

check under the car. if the axle shaft boots look torn and greasy, theres the problem. otherwise it could be bad strut mount bearings or top mounts. or a whole lot of other things.
Old 12-19-2008
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

It's not hard to replace the acxle yourself. I recommend reman Carquest axles for about $65 each with a lifetime warranty. I've done about 8 of them over the years on various cars.
Old 12-21-2008
Registered!!

lilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond repute

about 99 percent sure its your axles even if the boot isnt ripped open they could still be making noise. but if they are ripped open then drifnately wanna replace them. its a piece of cake to do
Old 12-21-2008
Registered!!

Chronic Nate is an unknown quantity at this point

do u have an aftermarket lsd? my kazz 2 way adjustable clicks in the turns cuz its on full lock. But i just coast through the hard turns and give it gas in the staights.
Old 12-22-2008
Registered!!

mdawg is on a distinguished road

No, and whats the way to go about checking really if its the axel.
Old 12-22-2008
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

Inspect the boot - if it's ripped replace the axle. Jack up the car and turn the wheels all the way left and rotate the wheel by hand and listen. Try the same but this time turned to the right.
Old 12-23-2008
e-z
Registered!!

e-z is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah axels. if the boot is just torn you can sometimes just buy a new boot for like $15, but you say yours is popping so u might have to replace the axles. its not too hard to take them off. u just have to have the right tools. u need a huge socket like a 20 or 22 cant really remember. but if you have basic mechanical knowledge u should be able to do it yourself