6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Bench test an ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DPBlom is an unknown quantity at this point
Bench test an ECU?

Hello All -
I have a 1996 Civic DX with a D16Y7 engine. The original engine had 330,000Km on it when I replaced it with a used D16Y7. Wiring harness, intake manifold & fuel injectors, and exhaust manifold from original engine were retained. 'New' engine now turns over, but there is no fuel pumping & there is no spark. I have verified the fuel pump by supplying power to it directly & have also verified that the coil will produce a spark. Have also gone over all harness connectors & checked for loose or missing ground wires, etc. - all seems OK. I have a Haynes manual & have checked resistances & levels of various ignition components & also checked the fuel pump relay & all are within spec. The Check Engine light goes out when I turn the ignition to on & the motor turns over. Tried shorting the plug on the right side near the ECU to get trouble codes to blink when the key is turned on, but no codes appeared. Bought a ProScan Universal scan tool w. USB interface from Gore Research (cool toy!), but it indicates it can't talk to the ECU. Have disconnected & reconnected the battery to reset things, but no joy. It is looking to me like the ECU is cooked, but I would have expected some kind of error indication if this were true - at least the 'check engine' light should turn on?! Does anyone know if there is any kind of bench test that can be done to verify the ECU? I'd like to be a little more confident that it is broken before swapping in another one.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-05-2008
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Bench test an ECU?

Have you checked if the fuel pump has power? When you turn the ignition do you hear the pump whir and then click?

It sounds like a similar problem I had which turned out to be the ground at the thermostat housing. I thought I had a good ground there as well. Just for ***** disconnect that ground and clean the mating surfaces and reconnect it.

The best way to bench test the ECU is to find someone else with a 96-98 DX or LX and put your ECU in there.
Old 03-18-2008
Registered!!

DPBlom is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bench test an ECU?

Doh!

I *thought* all the grounds were good...

Pried the harness out of the way to check the thermostat housing ground & there it was, flapping around in the breeze. Cleaned it up & bolted it down & & after a lot of coughing & hacking it fired up!

Thanks for suggesting I check again!