7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

how to remove ignition lock

Old 12-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leosar is an unknown quantity at this point
how to remove ignition lock

hi everyone
please anyone knows how i can remove my ignition lock in my honda civic 2003
i insert the key and tried to turn it to start the engine,but the key does not turn....i put wd40 and i tried long time without result....
please help....thanks
Old 12-01-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: how to remove ignition lock

First make sure the steering wheel isn't locked. If it is, try applying pressure on the steering wheel (turning it) while trying to turn the key to release the column lock.

No good?
You have a sidewinder type key?
The lock probably needs retumbled, the wafers are worn or damaged and need replaced.
A simple, but quite tedious job, and not every mechanic is able to do it. In my town, the dealer is the only place that has the tumblers for these locks, and I am the only person that is able or willing to do the work. Local lock shops can only remove the offending tumblers, they don't have replacements.

Read through this thread, there are a couple posts about how to remove the breakaway bolts:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4597957
Old 12-01-2012
Registered!!

Max91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey ezone, I read the other post and as usual thats great information.

My question, is there any preventive maintenance that can be done to avoid this happening?

Thanx
Old 12-01-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Max91
Hey ezone, I read the other post and as usual thats great information.

My question, is there any preventive maintenance that can be done to avoid this happening?

Thanx
Yeah. Don't use your key in the ignition so much....

I haven't seen this addressed by the manufacturer at all, and the only thing I can think of that the average Joe could possibly do is to use some lock cylinder lubricant occasionally.

I was thinking....The bulletin actually only addresses retumbling the rest of the other lock cylinders, not the ignition lock.
This means that if your local dealer only employs people that can follow instructions (I can't), you may not get this resolved without buying a ton of new stuff (column lock assembly and/or complete lock set). Someone that can think outside the box is who needs to be on the job, because this isn't in any service manual.

The charge here is around 220-250 McDoubles, depending on what all is needed to do the job, from start to finish....
But that doesn't include the tow truck charge.

Some people might understand why the labor charge is so high once they have to figure out for themselves how to get the headless bolts off of the column lock and get it out of the car....

I wonder if there would be a market for fixing these sidewinder locks..

Does this sound fair?
You get it pulled apart and send the column lock to me with the correct key, and maybe by the next day or so I ship you back a repaired unit with 2 new anti-tamper (breakaway) bolts.
Certified check totaling $120 US McDoubles for my work, parts, tax, etc., plus whatever amount to cover shipping.

I guess the only thing I could really guarantee would be that it worked when it left my hands though, since I have no control over what happens during shipment, nor what happens during the rest of the job once you or your mechanics get ahold of the repaired unit..
Old 12-01-2012
Registered!!

Max91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Yeah. Don't use your key in the ignition so much....
Hmmm...or maybe use swap out the spare key once in a while?

I haven't seen this addressed by the manufacturer at all, and the only thing I can think of that the average Joe could possibly do is to use some lock cylinder lubricant occasionally.
That I can do. Although I don't have this style of key, it's probably a good idea to maintain the cylinder. If you think about it, that particular part gets used, what...several hundred times a year? Maybe more?

The charge here is around 220-250 McDoubles, depending on what all is needed to do the job, from start to finish....
But that doesn't include the tow truck charge.
I'd rather have the McDoubles.

Some people might understand why the labor charge is so high once they have to figure out for themselves how to get the headless bolts off of the column lock and get it out of the car....
I can se that. I use to work on 70's model motorcycles and the only way to get the casing screws off was to use a small chisel or punch and hammer to get the screw moving counter clockwise.

Would an Irwin removal socket work? Or is there not enough bolt head to grip.

I wonder if there would be a market for fixing these sidewinder locks..

Does this sound fair?
You get it pulled apart and send the column lock to me with the correct key, and maybe by the next day or so I ship you back a repaired unit with 2 new anti-tamper (breakaway) bolts.
Certified check totaling $120 US McDoubles for my work, parts, tax, etc., plus whatever amount to cover shipping.

I guess the only thing I could really guarantee would be that it worked when it left my hands though, since I have no control over what happens during shipment, nor what happens during the rest of the job once you or your mechanics get ahold of the repaired unit..
Hell yeah. I'd PayPal ya for that!

One more question. I noticed you said that key can be "code cut". Can my regular key be cut that way? I only got one key for the car and it's looking pretty worn.
Old 12-02-2012

Originally Posted by Max91
Hmmm...or maybe use swap out the spare key once in a while?......

Probably not. It doesn't matter which key you use, you still wear the tumblers each time you insert any key.

That I can do. Although I don't have this style of key, it's probably a good idea to maintain the cylinder.

Lubing is all I can think of to extend the life of the tumblers on any lock.

Really, I see far fewer issues with the normal style locks. (We don't even have tumblers for that type of lock.)
The key fits through the center of the tumbler, it isn't really able to go off to one side as it wears and jam up in the housing:

The sidewinder uses split tumblers, it is far easier for them to jam with wear. These skinny little things:
(from this post: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...t-problem.html )

If you think about it, that particular part gets used, what...several hundred times a year? Maybe more?
They suffer wear TWICE: Each time you insert the key, and again when you remove it.
I'd rather have the McDoubles.
Got a damn McDs right across the street from work. Ugh. Was so glad when Subway opened up next to them.

I can se that. I use to work on 70's model motorcycles and the only way to get the casing screws off was to use a small chisel or punch and hammer to get the screw moving counter clockwise.
Same thing.

Would an Irwin removal socket work? Or is there not enough bolt head to grip.
I bet it would.....If it won't, then it will just as soon as you have a few punch marks in the sides for it to grip on. I break them loose with the punch method, then spin them out with a twist socket. (I really need to get a bigger variety of them, and see if they have some for left-hand thread bolts. Some of the newest column locks use left-hand threads in the break away bolts.)

Hell yeah. I'd PayPal ya for that!
Yours (non-sidewinder type) shouldn't have issues...

One more question. I noticed you said that key can be "code cut". Can my regular key be cut that way? I only got one key for the car and it's looking pretty worn.
Yes, as long as the lock set is original to the car, a key can be cut from the VIN code database. Would still need programmed in order to start the engine though.

If the lock set was replaced, hopefully the new key code was reported to Honda to update the vehicle VIN inquiry info.....Handy at a time like this.

A kid came over to the shop earlier this week, he had locked his keys in his 09 Civic at the gas station next door.... We cut him a wallet key for dirt cheap using the VIN. Far cheaper than a locksmith or someone trying to SlimJim the door.