7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

New struts now steering wheel off center?

Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
specialized7 is an unknown quantity at this point
New struts now steering wheel off center?

Hey guys, Yesterday i decided to rip into the civic.
I Bought a set of OEM springs as well as cheap struts to replace the lowering springs and blown struts on my car.
So anyways All goes well tie rods come out easy everything went smooth. I even changed my one caliper and an 02 sensor.
But now my steering wheel is quite off center , id say a little less then quarter turn?
its not driving weird or anything just steering wheel is off center?
will an alighnment fix this?
anyone had this happen before?
Opinions?
Old 04-14-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New struts now steering wheel off center?

Get an alignment. If that doesn't fix it, post back up
Old 04-14-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

tie-rods were not any good anymore, but now you have good ones and need to adjust steering to them.
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

bigheadmark is an unknown quantity at this point

I would look up the DYI as far as tie rod ends...on this forum and even on youtube...there are tricks/tips you need to adhere to when replacing tie rod ends...ie, placing a piece of tape and marking where the tie rod end originally was BEFORE you remove it, that way you know how far to screw in the new one....also, another trick, is, if the new tie rod ends are the same as the ones on your car, make sure you count the number of turns when you remove the old ones, then repeat the number of turns when you install the new ones....for example, i just replaced my tie rod ends....the passenger side came off with 11 turns....i made sure i screwed the new one in 11 turns.
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

Sorry for the confusion but I didnt change tie rod ends, just knocked them out of the Strut assembly .

one more question: after some research about my problem i came across someone saying how you can hear a banging in the from when hitin the gas in first gear.
I think my lower control arms and buggered or at least the bushings. Are they replaceable?
Old 04-14-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

My alignment always goes out of whack when i separate tie rods. That said, evey time I mess with my suspension, I get an alignment immediately afterward.

As for your banging noise, I'd make sure everything's tightened properly first.
Old 04-14-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by specialized7
I think my lower control arms and buggered or at least the bushings. Are they replaceable?
before going heads on, inspect them, if they look bad, read this. or just read this and inspect them to see if they look the same. (PS: it's linked in one of the links in my sig, BTW)

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-bushings.html
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

THANKS! they look exactly like that both of them are completely broken out i can smack them back and forth .
im going to do that. Thanks for the DIY.
im thinking an alighments is all i need for the none straight steering because i mean the car is 2" higher now so things are out of wack