7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

car wont turn over

Old 09-25-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mbrishke can only hope to improve
car wont turn over

first let me thank anyone for any help in advance, now on to the problem.

ok some of you may remember my post about my nitrous etc..
heres the problem, last night i let my uncle borrow my car, he left at about 12:30 said he was going to a friends would be back around 3. 5 am rolls around no sign.. im getting ready to call the cops to see if he got himself in trouble.

just then he walks in the door, says the car died.
he explained that he tried to use my nitrous (wich i told him i would kick his *** if he did)
and it died. now heres the thing, he was to stupid to evan turn on the bottle... so all he activated was the fuel selonoid. so he essentially flooded the crap out of the car. the CEL is on, and the car has full electrical power, but will not evan try to turn over. any ideas as to what could be wrong with it?

I would like to apologize for any grammar mistakes, normally i do type like a educated human being... but i just flenstoned a fukin honda for 3 miles and am still coming off of a serious adrenalin dump... and i cant evan stand up because my legs are so charlie horsed... lol

thank you for any replies.... gearbox... help me out, i know you got an idea

- edit
A buddy of myn insist its going to be a relay, because when i go to start the car, it doesn't evan make a click, doesn't evan try to turn over..
- edit
I changed around the relays, still a no go, although i do need to charge the battery after it sat with the hazards on for quite some time... it still wont evan try to turn over. i checked the ignition coil fuse on the inside, it was good, though it seemed to have burn marks on the prongs.. i replaced it with a extra fuse just in case, still doesn't evan try though. and i also took out the ecu fuse and turned the car to the on position, and then turned off and put the fuse back, as soon as i turn it back to on the CEL is on again.

Last edited by mbrishke; 09-25-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: car wont turn over

If you pushed that car 3 miles, did you even try push starting it? (Assuming that it might be a manual)

If the engine doesnt even have a clicking sound, I would automatically see if it's a starter/starter solonoid problem
Old 09-25-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

did you try and let the car sit overnight so the fuel evaporates, then try starting? also try and remove the plugs, see if there is still gas in there. the plugs are almost definately fouled out, so replace those for good measure. i can only guess what your uncle did and it doesnt sound good lol. and i bet when it didnt start the first time, he tried to pump the gas pedal and flooded it some more. also try to figure out what the CEL says if you have a scanner.

Last edited by gearbox; 09-25-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-25-2010
Registered!!

na, i unfortionatly dont have a scanner gearbox. but if the car was severly flooded, would that make it not evan try to turn over?
Old 09-26-2010
Registered!!

ok, my friend came by this morning and we took the battery out of his car, and stuck it in my car. first attempt to crank, nothing, but when i release the key from the start position, i heard a faint click, so i grabbed a screw driver and smacked the starter with the handle end, went back, turned the key, loud click immediately upon twisting the key to start, but it still didnt turn over. also i noticed that when turning the key from " off " to " on " that both the " P " gear light and the " D " gear light come on, then " D " turns off after about 1 second. i also took my intake off and could smell the gass from the throttle body, and it has me wondering, if he left the selonoid open so long, and poured in so much gas.. im wondering if he essentially hydro locked the engine with gas... beleive me, the guy is completely engine illiterate, and i wouldent put it passed him...
but then again i know very little also, and dont know if my theory makes any sense at all.
Again, any help greatly appreciated, i have until tuesday to try to figure this out before i have to take it to a dealer and shell out big money that i dont want to spend because i have a 2 week vacation coming up.... last time i ever let someone drive my car!!!
Old 09-26-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

try to remove the plugs and get a fan to blow in the engine. let it sit in the sun and get warm. gas evaporates but it takes a while. im thinking its majorly flooded.
Old 09-26-2010
Registered!!

K, ill give that a try, gunna have to run to walmart and get a spark plug socket tho, i cant find myn for the life of me. but gearbox, would the engine being severely flooded stop it from turning over all together? Like i said, car engines i dont know to much about, but i grew up riding dirt bikes and four wheelers ect.. and whenever those things flood they would just turn over until all the excess fuel was pushed out of the chambers...
Or does the ecu recognize the problem and prevent it from cranking?
Old 09-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mbrishke
...Or does the ecu recognize the problem and prevent it from cranking?
Probably what's causing your CEL. Yes, the ECU won't let the engine crank cause if you tried to crank it while it's hydrolocked you will need a new engine (you can't compress liquid).
Old 09-26-2010
Registered!!

so if i can remove the plugs, is there anyway i could get hte engine to crank to blow the excess fuel out of the spark plug holes? or do i have to let the fuel evaporate for hte next few days? lol
Old 09-26-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

If it's that severely flooded, you could probably get away with using some vacuum tubing to kinda siphon/pump/suck it out

Just throwing some ideas out there.
Old 09-26-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT CRANK WITH FUEL IN THE CYLINDERS!!! If you crank with the plugs out and fuel in the cylinders you will start a fire.
Old 09-26-2010
Premium Member

good post. yeah please think safety before doing anything involving gas. the best way is let it evaporate. when you take the plugs out, you should be able to see if theres gas sloshing around in there. just let it dry or like suggested try a small siphon pump.
Old 09-26-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I probably should have specified, don't suck it out/start a siphon with your mouth, but I figured common sense applied.
Old 09-26-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I probably should have specified, don't suck it out/start a siphon with your mouth, but I figured common sense applied.
Old 09-26-2010
Registered!!

Well, i got the plugs out, they are completely sooty and black. But i don't see any gas down in the combustion chamber, i tried rocking the car, and there just isn't any down there. So i guess that leaves me with the possibility of a seized engine, or a bad starter that just ironically went out at the same time that the ******* was driving my car.
unless someone has another idea.
also, is there any way i could turn the engine by hand to see if its actually seized?
Again i appreciate all your guys help and support, you guys rock.
Old 09-26-2010
Registered!!

Well, i got the plugs out, they are completely sooty and black.
Lets hope he didn't burn all your internals up.
Old 09-26-2010
Registered!!

also, is there any way i could turn the engine by hand to see if its actually seized?
1) You can turn it at the flywheel or 2) You can try to roll start it. When you try to roll start it and as you let out on the clutch it will lock up. S**t man, cross your fingers!
Old 09-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

It kinda sounds like your battery cable could be a little loose. Did you mess with it while you were working on the electronics?

Did you charge the battery or jump it?
Old 09-26-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by lazlong
1) You can turn it at the flywheel or 2) You can try to roll start it. When you try to roll start it and as you let out on the clutch it will lock up. S**t man, cross your fingers!
I'd rotate the engine by hand using the crank pulley bolt, not flywheel.. Using the flywheel would warrant transmission removal..
/smartass.. lol
Old 09-27-2010
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

With everything together remove your battery and jump with another car directly to your posi and neg battery wires see if that works.
Old 09-27-2010
Registered!!

where is the crank pully bolt located at? do i have to take anything off to get to it? push starting is out of the question as it is an automatic
Old 09-27-2010
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

where is the crank pully bolt located at? do i have to take anything off to get to it? push starting is out of the question as it is an automatic
It's located right behind your left front tire. there is a hole that goes throught the plastic splash guard that you can stick a wrench through. I suggest using a breaker bar, cranks are not that easy to turn.
Old 09-27-2010
Registered!!

thanks for that mad dog, i turned the crank with a socket wrench with the plugs out just to see if the engine was seized, it is not, it turns freely, thank god!
Anyway, there is no liquid in the combustion chambers( that i can see ) engine spins freely... but still just a click when i turn the key, i guess all this points to a dead starter, but i just find it so hard to believe that when an idiot activated the fuel selonoid on a nitrous system ( the nitrous bottle was not open, so the nitrous selonoid did nothing ).the starter just happend to go out immidiately after the idiot floods the engine to a halt...
Old 09-27-2010
Registered!!

what do you guys think about this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTO-...motiveQ5fTools
think it will actually work? has anyone used one?
Old 09-27-2010
Registered!!

Get the battery tested at your auto parts store first. It's alot easier to remove.
Old 09-28-2010
Registered!!

mad dog, ive already tried to start it with another battery out of a friends car.
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

got the scanner in the mail a few minutes ago, the only code the car is throwing is a p0113, intake air temp high volt. Wich according to my 5 seconds of research suggest the car should still start. for some reason i cant clear the code, but that is the only code popping up.
so does that leave me with a bad starter?
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

got the scanner in the mail a few minutes ago, the only code the car is throwing is a p0113, intake air temp high volt. Wich according to my 5 seconds of research suggest the car should still start. for some reason i cant clear the code, but that is the only code popping up.
so does that leave me with a bad starter?
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

You can test that starter yourself by taking the wire off the positive terminal and using a jumper wire from battery positive to that starter terminal. *Be careful it will try to start a soon as you touch it to the starter terminal.
Old 10-04-2010
Registered!!

-PROBLEM SOLVED-
Got home from work today and took the starter motor off the starter assembly, slid the magnetic cover back and instantly knew what my problem was.The starter was COMPLETELY annihilated. The gears were chipped and ground to powder. ran to autozone and picked up a starter for $120( i know i payed to much but i didn't feel like waiting for one in the mail )Anyway, it came with a whole new starter assembly, new selonoid, core, motor, everything, and its another shiney new item under the hood
everythings working perfect now.
So that leaves me wondering what the retarded uncle actually did, my guess is that he probably tried to use the nitrous like he said, but since he didn't open the bottle just flooded and stalled the car, then turned it over until my starter ate itself.

And of course, thanks to everyone for their input. And to everyone.. " LEARN FROM ME "
never let anyone less mechanically inclined than yourself drive your car, its sure disaster.

Last edited by mbrishke; 10-04-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: car wont turn over