7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

How often does everyone change their ATF?

Old 05-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cloud2987 is an unknown quantity at this point
How often does everyone change their ATF?

Just curious since the 7th gens don't have a filter.. the dealership told me around every 30 thousand miles. Also, has anyone used Amsoil Synthetic ATF b4?
Old 05-28-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How often does everyone change their ATF?

usually once a year with honda atf only. i also have external honda filter and B&M cooler. remember you are only changing 3 out of 9 qts trans fluid. so its better to change it more often to keep new fluid in there. these are prolly the worst auto trans honda ever made (01-05 models). even with all my careful driving and extras, its still on its way out soon and will need a rebuild.
Old 05-31-2010
Registered!!

cloud2987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks gearbox, I tried looking for the OEM external filter kit, but haven't had much luck. I read that you got it off ebay, and it is off a CIVIC HX with CVT. I was wondering if you still had the sellers info, store name, or anywhere else I could find it?
Old 05-31-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

what about manual?
Old 05-31-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just look up the "ATF cooler" tab on majestic honda (www.hondaautomotiveparts.com) for a 2001 civic HX with CVT trans. you want the filter and also the brackets that hold it in place.
Old 06-02-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gearbox
just look up the "ATF cooler" tab on majestic honda (www.hondaautomotiveparts.com) for a 2001 civic HX with CVT trans. you want the filter and also the brackets that hold it in place.
i meant manual transmission lol
Old 06-02-2010
Premium Member

i know, it was for the post above you. for manual trans, theres usually no need for coolers and filters.
Old 06-03-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

Gearbox,

Can it be modified to fit the Civic 04 VP ? It will be nice to add one to it.

BTW, I just replaced the transmission dip stick since the rubber cover shrinks and it can't hold itself.

Last edited by kbook; 06-03-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2010
Premium Member

yeah i usually need a new dipstick every 6 months. the rubber just keeps getting smaller til it almost falls out, and then i have trans fluid going all over the place. i fit the HX filter on my EX with no problem, there is a good spot to mount it and then you just splice it into one of the trans oil cooler lines. here it is next to the header.

Old 06-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
qijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to all

do you have a write up for the cooler gearbox?
Old 06-08-2010
Premium Member

i did somewhere, im not sure where and if the pics work. but basically you can get a small B&M unit, wedge it in-between the condenser and radiator without bolting it in, then run the trans cooler lines to the aftermarket cooler. so pretty much i have my one cooler line going out to the radiator stock cooler first, then going to the trans cooler, then to the filter, and finally back to the trans. according to honda manual, line out is on the left when looking at the engine bay from the front, the right side is the return input back to the trans after being cooled. since the stock radiator cooler is a joke, you want the fluid to go to that cooler first, then to the aftermarket version. that way you have some cooling of the fluid. the stock cooler doesnt do anything because usually the coolant is the same temp as the trans fluid, or higher!
Old 06-08-2010
Premium Member

some pics, be sure to use real transmission oil cooler hose when making the connections. do not get generic or fuel hose. you will have a big mess when the rubber gets eaten away from the inside and goes into the fluid.

these are the cooler lines coming from the trans. left one goes down to the radiator, then back up to the right side.

Old 06-09-2010
Registered!!

chadbaldwin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey @Gearbox, nice on replacing the ground cable with the 4AWG cable! I'm trying to do that with mine, but I don't have any loop connector things for the end of the wire. lol.
Old 06-09-2010
Premium Member

www.partsexpress.com has everything for wiring
Old 07-22-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

I haven't read this thread quite a while. Thanks gearbox!! that looks very neat. I'll check and see if i can put that one in too. My new trans dipstick works very well. It holds a lots better. But I have to clean up all the fluid. It looks pretty dirty around the dipstick.
Old 07-22-2010
Premium Member

try some carb cleaner and carefully wipe around the sensors. try not to spray the sensor plugs too much.
Old 07-24-2010
Registered!!

CivicVoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive been replacing the fluid every 25-30,000miles with Honda ATF. All the local dealers I called when I first got the car recommended 65,000miles.
Old 08-01-2010
Registered!!

honda-99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
Thanks for the information gearbox. I ordered the filter, bracket (2 piece set), and 2ea oil pipe clips.
I'll install it on the return line, the pipe on right when looking down facing the engine from the front. At this point no plan to install an extra cooler.

Honda-99
2002 Civic EX, AT, w/79000mi
Old 08-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

To answer the OP, every 30k here as well, and only with Honda ATF
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

gearbox,

I'll get it cleaned up nicely.

about the ATF, I did change ATF 6 times already. Now, it's about 79K and the trans is still running ok. Now, I am using Volvoline Maxlife ATF instead of Z1. I think I might suffer the MPG but I have to find the way to measure it systematically. I could be my driving habit also.
Old 02-02-2011
Registered!!

metalshredder is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok...I'm most likely going to be buying an 02 Civic EX, with 78,800 miles on it right now.... Current owner has had standard maintenance done at the dealer, oil changes, brakes, etc. Not sure about the trans.

Assuming the trans fluit has NOT been changed at 78,800 miles, in Houston TX...is it still safe to change the fluid now? Or will it certainly ensue future damage?
Old 02-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Is it manual or automatic?
Old 02-02-2011
Registered!!

Auto
Old 02-02-2011
Premium Member

once a year. for you, check the fluid condition first. if its dark black or brown, i would not risk changing it. you could get another 50-100k out of it on the original fluid. if the fluid looks red, you can prolly get away with a single drain and fill. then start yearly drain and fills.
Old 02-03-2011
Registered!!

Ok, cool. If the fluid is still red and doesn't smell burned, I'll go ahead and change it now. Drain and fill right there on the driveway, with honda fluid. What's the exact type for this car?
Old 02-03-2011
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

Now, why is it that everyone says to use Honda fluid only. I've recently changed my fluid 3 times to get most of the old stuff out. I refilled it initially with Honda ATF for the first three quarts. I was given this by a friend, but the remaining times, I filled with Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle that said it meets the requirements for the Honda fluid. Is this bad??
Old 02-03-2011
Registered!!

laser154380 is an unknown quantity at this point

No. I fill my car with Kendall (conoco phillips) ATF. Works great!
Old 02-03-2011
Premium Member

the honda fluid makes the shifts smoother and has special additives most other fluids are missing. i have heard of cases where switching to non-honda fluid destroyed the trans.
Old 02-03-2011
Registered!!

....sooo, what's the right kind for this car?

Last edited by metalshredder; 02-03-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2011
Premium Member

honda atf z1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How often does everyone change their ATF?