7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Licence plate lights not turning on...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jackios is an unknown quantity at this point
Licence plate lights not turning on...

I have problem with my licence plate lights not turning on. I bought a set of LEDs for my plate but when I went to change the bulbs, I noticed that neither stock bulbs were working. LEDs did not turn on... tried it on my friends civic and it's working fine. Had a feeling it was either the socket or the fuse. I had a look at my manual and checked the fuse for the licence plate light, the closes fuse I got to was the Small Light fuse located at #2 and the fuse wasn't blown. Sockets were fine. Anyone come across this problem or have any suggestions please reply! It's a pain to bring my car to Honda and have them do service on it and pay $50 an hour. lol! Thanks in advance!

05 Civic Si Sedan (CAN)
Old 09-05-2008
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Licence plate lights not turning on...

Are your taillights located in the trunk section working ?? (assuming you have those on your model)

You could have a broken wire in the harness that flexes with the opening/closing of the trunk.

I had the wire break at a crimp terminal that had 3 wires leading to 1 wire going into trunk lid loom powering licence plate and inner tail lights bulbs.

The wire color should be RED/YEL.
Old 09-09-2008
Registered!!

Thanks CraigW for your reply. Yes my taillights are working. I tried getting into the wires and found the red/yellow wire but haven't seen any breaks. A buddy of mine is going to have a look at it some time this week and I'll let you know what he comes up with.
Old 09-09-2008
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

it sounds like a fuse or wiring problem; have you checked all the possible fuses that it could be?
Old 09-09-2008

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

If the taillights are working the fuse is o.k., If the inner taillights (on the trunk) are working the RED/YEL wire going to the trunks lamps is o.k.
Old 09-10-2008
Registered!!

Looks like the inner tail lights (ones on the trunk) weren't turning on.

Checked every possible fuse the license plate lights would be under and they were all working fine. No problem with the ground.

Quoting what you were saying CraigW: "You could have a broken wire in the harness that flexes with the opening/closing of the trunk."

That is exactly where the problem was. Seems like this is a common problem from what my buddy told me (car technician). The opening and closing of the trunk puts stress on the wires causing it to snap.

Took a couple pictures after it was fixed:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...9-10_19-51.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...9-10_19-52.jpg

Thanks all to who replied. Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2008

My 05 broke near the crimp junction that has 2-3 wires going into the single wire that goes to the lamps.

I first noticed it when unlocking the car.

Thanks for posting the diagnosis !!
Old 06-14-2010
Registered!!

Charzeron is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. After checking the bulbs and fuses and finding them fine, I wasn't sure where to start poking around for the wires and I came across this post. It just happened that the break was right at where the push-mount cable tie was. The electrical tape around the cable conduit was already a bit frayed from the cable tie so it was easy to peel off in that area. New pics are attached below since the old posted pics don't seem to work anymore.

I pulled one of the wires out to show where the break is in relation to the cable tie. The other two pics just show the bundle of wires which need to be recrimped or soldered together. The crimp is covered with electrical tape from the factory. Oh, and this was in a 2005 Civic sedan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Light1.jpg
Views:	5970
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	78508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light2.jpg
Views:	6457
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	78509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light3.jpg
Views:	5619
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	78510  
Old 06-15-2010

I recently found a TSB on this problem.