7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Fuel Gauge not working..

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ahailey will become famous soon enough
Fuel Gauge not working..

Alright, I've ran out of gas 3 times now! For some reason, my gas gauge stopped working properly a couple of months ago, it won't usually get up over half of a tank even when i fill it up, and in a few miles it drops down to EMPTY and the gas light comes on. A few miles later it sometimes comes up a little and then will go back down after a while longer. I've tried using my trip to guess about how much gas is in there but i keep forgetting to reset it when i fill up. Has anyone else had this problem and know what it might be or how much it will cost to fix it? The local honda dealer wants to charge me $98.00 just to look at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-31-2008
Registered!!

CivicPro01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fuel Gauge not working..

You are from Norman? My girlfriend goes to OU. And I am in Norman on most weekends and actually just came back like Tuesday from there.

Anyways, my fuel gauge is broken as well and I think I got quoted for like $500ish just to fix it at the dealership. But now I just fill up on every gas tank and remember to reset my trip monitor.

I got some parts for sale. Would you be interested? I got a tsunami rear lip, an EX sway bar, front upper strut bar, set of 01-03 taillights, and an altezza grille painted blue... I would sell all parts for dirt cheap, just need to make room in the garage.
Old 07-31-2008
Registered!!

hypnotic20 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would check the fuses for the culprit first, and then you could always DIY, or pay honda to solve it for you.
Old 08-10-2008
Registered!!

zenarc will become famous soon enough

hey there, if you have the 03-05 ex/lx cluster with the 3 circles its most likely the cluster i have had to replace several of these cluster at honda, something with the software to calculate the fuel supply
Old 08-10-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

idk, mine turned out to be a bad fuel sending unit. unless the gauges are actually bad and dont move smoothly, then its most likely a sender issue. it would read empty with over 5 gallons in the tank. got a new sender and now its very accurate. gas light comes on with 2 gallons left and it moves down at a normal rate. it may move up a tick or two after driving and the car warms up, but thats normal.
Old 08-10-2008
Registered!!

ahailey will become famous soon enough

how much does a new sending unit cost? and is it something i can change myself or do i need to take it in?
Old 08-11-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

idk, i had mine done early on under warranty. you need to take apart the fuel pump in the back seat basically. its a pretty big job.