8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2012 Honda Civic EX 'Engine Braking' with Econ Button?

Old 08-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guitaressamc is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 Honda Civic EX 'Engine Braking' with Econ Button?

I recently purchased a NEW 2012 Honda Civic EX. I love it! I'm just worried that there may be something wrong with the engine or transmission. With the Econ button on when I test drove it, it seemed like it was using engine braking like a large truck does when you let off of the gas pedal rapidly (the RPMs soar to down shift and slow the car down). I also noticed that after braking for a prolonged period of time at a high speed going down a large hill that it seemed to be doing this 'engine braking' thing again. The RPMs soared as it down shifted to decrease my speed. Is this considered normal? Has any one else noticed this??

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-16-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Moved - not a DIY, informative, but still a question
Old 08-06-2012
Registered!!

JustinOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2012 Honda Civic EX 'Engine Braking' with Econ Button?

Originally Posted by guitaressamc
I recently purchased a NEW 2012 Honda Civic EX. I love it! I'm just worried that there may be something wrong with the engine or transmission. With the Econ button on when I test drove it, it seemed like it was using engine braking like a large truck does when you let off of the gas pedal rapidly (the RPMs soar to down shift and slow the car down). I also noticed that after braking for a prolonged period of time at a high speed going down a large hill that it seemed to be doing this 'engine braking' thing again. The RPMs soared as it down shifted to decrease my speed. Is this considered normal? Has any one else noticed this??
I have noticed this too! I have a new 2012 EX Coupe and I get this phenomena happening. I use ECON mode all the time though unless I'm going to be passing a few cars. I notice the engine breaking also when going downhill and braking a little at the same time. Strange.
Old 08-06-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

G R A D E __ L O G I C

Don't care for it much myself, YOU will adjust... but not the car. Takes a while.

Also watch for the slowing down, then needing acceleration and it bucks/jerks and acts all crazy.
Old 08-10-2012
New Civic Owner

jsquaredmn is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a new LX coupe as well and commute 170 miles a day and have never noticed this...i have my econ on 95% of the time...i would say that is not normal and you should have it checked out while it is still under warranty
Old 08-11-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

does it downshift without pressing on the brake when going downhill? if so that is very strange behavior for any car. if it only happens when pressing the brakes downhill, its part of the trans grade logic control. really stupid, but no way to disable.
Old 08-21-2012
Registered!!

jkunsman is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2012 LX and it does it all the time. If I am going down a large hill that is going to go back up and I just want to be able to control it myself I will bump into neutral to aviod the grade control. Sucks but what r ya gonna do!
Old 10-25-2012
Registered!!

0396 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2012 HF does all of the above mentioned. I believe it's normal- so far so good with trans. Oh I did changed the tranny fluid at 20k...and when it drained, it smelled semi brunt already.