8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Audio Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dfnail is an unknown quantity at this point
Audio Control Problem

I have the 06 Civic Hybrid and have a problem with the audio control. The Nav system works fine with proper display on the screen. However, the audio menu does not display even though the radio and CD player work. The scan button also does not function as well as the pre-set buttons at the bottom of the display. The power/volume control **** works fine. Also, the steering wheel control buttons function properly. The unit is out of warranty because of milage and American Honda has refused any goodwill. The dealer has said that all he can do is replace the unit at a cost of $1000. Hopefully someone can suggest how I can get this corrected without such a cost hit. (I am a new member and first time Honda owner)

Dan
Old 02-20-2009
Registered!!

rocksinger45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Audio Control Problem

One thing you might try is to so call reboot the unit by disconnecting the battery and reenter the radios code #, if you don't have the code # you can most likely get it from the dealer where you bought your car. Now I'm not sure that this will work but this is a very cheap way to start..... what I would do.
Old 02-20-2009
Registered!!

Thanks. I do have the codes and this is an easy thing to do. This is the anti-theft protection. I am reluctant to do this because the radio is now working. I can at least listen to the pre-programed stations. However, there is no way to input the codes with the display malfunction as it is now. And if the screen does not come up after disconnecting the battery I have lost what radio I do have. Any thoughts on that?
Old 02-22-2009
Registered!!

My thinking is that what you have will return because those functions are already working properly, the radio in your Honda is manufacture by Alpine for your FYI. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 02-23-2009
Registered!!

I am trying to get up the nerve to try it. My hesitation is because of the way the anti-theft works. If the radio loses power, it is disabled. So if I disconnect the battery and the radio is disabled and the display is the same as it is now, I won't be able to input the codes, just as I can't input them now. At least right now the radio and CD plays, I just can't select any new stations or adjust the sound quality. Also, the clock doesn't work. Do you understand my dilemma? If losing power caused the problem, then the radio should not be working at all. Does this make sense to you?
Old 02-23-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

is there a reset button on the unit?
Old 02-23-2009
Registered!!

No, not that I know of. There is no mention of one in the owner's manuals. The only reset that is mentioned is the anti-theft codes which I am unable to enter because of the display problem.
Old 02-23-2009
Registered!!

I do I understand your problem and I understand your apprehension, if this was me I would do what I said before and reboot the unit or call Honda's main office in Torrance California or my local dealer and ask them for some information on what to do.
Old 02-23-2009
Registered!!

All Honda will say is replace the unit at a cost of $1000 to me. The car is under the time warranty limit but over the milage limit (What has milage got to do with the failure of electronics?). Anyway, I have found an electronics guy who said he will remove the unit and diagnose the problem for $35 and give me an estimate of what it will take to fix it. I guess that is my best bet at this juncture.
Old 02-24-2009
Registered!!

Don't know if you know this, but you can contest a warranty problem at Honda's corporate offices, a friend of mine had a paint problem that was solved that way.
Old 02-24-2009
Registered!!

I did take my case to American Honda's Corporate office. The problem is that technically I am out of warranty because of milage. I made a very good case to them about how the failure of electronic equipment is not related to milage but to defects and age. I reminded them of how they even cover their car start batteries based on time without regard to milage. Even if they agreed with me, unless they wanted to offer goodwill coverage, I am out of luck because they clearly state in their warranty a milage limit. I am 5 months under their time warranty which I thought would sway them. It didn't. I am very disappointed to say the least.
Old 02-24-2009
Registered!!

I've personally gone after Sharp, Sony & Canon with warranty problems and even after having them say no I bugged the **** out of them everyday and asked "who is your boss" going up the chain of command saying "I want to talk to him" and if that didn't work I told them that I think the courts need to decide this issue and who do I need to take to Small Claims Court and after that if I got no results I sent a USPS Certified Return Receipt letter to them stating my intentions to take them to court and telling them why I think there being unfair with me, by that time and in all cases I got results. If your willing to lay down and play dead they WON...but if you stick to your guns there's a good chance you'll win.

Believe me these people (Honda) don't want to be caught in a court of law (It'll cost them more money to send someone to court than to settle), if they lose there is a test case that someday some collage student could use in a class action case against them.

OK, now my friend had a older Honda Accord that had paint that was flaking on the hood, top & trunk of his car that was at least 3 years out of warranty and he got results by following just what I have written here for you.

P.S. If you do proceed make sure you get names (ask for name & job title) dates & times of everyone you speak to.

P.S.S. Make sure they give you a case #

Last edited by rocksinger45; 02-24-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-24-2009
Registered!!

My main argument is that a top end electronic component should not fail in less than three years (2 yrs. 7 mos.) regardless of the miles. I have two things against me. The warranty states in clear terms that it is not covered past 36K miles, and, I am the second owner. Honda made a big deal out of that when I asked them to cover it. I do have a case # and the name of the corporate guy who said no as well as the dealer service people who were supportive. The procedure required to dispute the decision is to file an arbitration case with the BBB. So, I could do that. I have done things like this before--sometimes successful, sometimes not. I'm not sure I could prevail in this case, but I am tempted to try it. I would like the opinion of those who are following this thread as whether I should or not. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2009
Registered!!

I think you should use the Small Claims Court as I said for your remedy, take it out of there hands. Remember what the great american poet Bob Dylan once said "When you ate got nothing you've got nothing to lose".

BTW, did you ask Honda where it said in the warranty that it was non transferable that in it's self sounds like B.S. to me.

Last edited by rocksinger45; 02-24-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2010
Registered!!

Just a final follow-up. The independent electronics guy said that it looked like someone spilled something and caused the problem. He sent it back to Alpine. Cost me $300. Everything works fine and this was a better solution than going through Honda.