8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Wiper Blade Replacement - how?

Old 11-16-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mailrail is an unknown quantity at this point
Wiper Blade Replacement - how?

I just bought some replacement wiper inserts but can't seem to get them installed. What's the trick? I'm trying to squeeze together the cover like the manual says to do (I've even used plyers) but the damned thing won't come off. Can anyone give me some advice?
Old 11-16-2007
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all
Re: Wiper Blade Replacement - how?

The plastic end has 2 points on one end of the blade, squeeze them both at the same time and pull up. Then pull the plastic tab off and slide the rubber blade out. Replace with new rubber and pop on the plastic tab and clip it back on.
Old 11-16-2007
Technical Assistant

ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC the new civics all come with bosch icon wipers...why would you replace them they are among the best out there, and i cant imagine that they are bad already. my buddy has em on his golf for 2 years they are as good as the first day he got them
Old 11-17-2007
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

my 06' civic blades were only just over 1 yr old and they were smearing water like grease across my windshield....for 12.00 for both blades is cheap anyhow. My buddy has an 07' Si and his were replaced a few weeks before mine.

the new blades are nothing to brag about except pricewise!
Old 11-17-2007
Registered!!

mailrail is an unknown quantity at this point

What a whacked out design. I FINALLY got the little black cover off but it took a pair of plyers and a hammer - yes, a hammer. Then, getting the blades out of the cover and installed back in again was an adventure. In fact, I actually tore the passenger-side refill at the end while inserting it into the shell which means I'm going to have to replace that one again soon.

Honda dropped the ball on this one. A company who usually specializes in thoughtful designs, they obviously left this up to a design student intern or something. I hope they redesigned this for the 07s or 08s. If not, all I can say to anyone getting ready to change blades is: GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-17-2007
Registered!!

i found it really easy and convenient myself?

for 6.00 per rubber owns!
my wifes caravan blades need to be replaced and their the ones that are all 1 piece design, ones that you buy from walmart, canadian tire, etc which cost 20.00 EACH....LMAO!

i like my blades!
Old 11-18-2007
Registered!!

dieterbreitenba is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Wiper Blade Replacement - how?

I tried to squeeze the black plastic and pull up but that didn't work and I don't want to put plyers on the wiper. What's the trick?

I even tried to pull the plastic tab below and under the wiper blade like on the older wiper blades you get at the store for other cars but that didn't work either

Help !!!!! These blades are driving me crazy. The car is just 1 1/2 years old (2006 model Civic DX) and they need to be replaced before the snow really flies around here in Ohio.

HELP
Old 11-18-2007
Registered!!

dieterbreitenba is an unknown quantity at this point

I just found a neet trick. I couldn't get the plastic piece to lift like in the posts above. What I did was to put a screwdriver in the slot above the plastic tabs and pryed it apart (sideways) not up. The plastic piece slid forward and once forward about 1/4 inch, I was able to lift it off.
Now I still have to figure out how to replace the rubber with a refill.

If anyone knows that it would be appriciated.
Old 11-19-2007
Registered!!

you need to get the plastc end off, then the rubber just slides on!
Old 11-19-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a question. Why not just replace the whole thing instead of ****ing with that little piece of rubber?
Old 11-19-2007
Registered!!

for 8th gens this is how they do it for ease of use, and cost effective.

its so ****ing easy but everyone seems to make it out to be something you need a DIY for? lmao!
Old 11-19-2007
Registered!!

Replacing wiper blades on 8th Gen Civic

Tools needed:
NONE!

A. Pop up the tabs by pressing them both together and pulling upright as shown above

B. Pull the plastic retainer straight off

C. Pull the rubber blade out and slide new one in its place.
TADAH!

Last edited by FGCOUPE; 11-19-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2007
Registered!!

holy ****.....took me 5 minutes to take it apart, take images, resize images, host images and post this ****!!

AHAHAHAHA
Old 11-19-2007
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

lawlz
Old 11-19-2007
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

nice DIY, it looks like you are going to save a lot of members ginormous headaches. lmao
Old 11-19-2007
Registered!!

for real...if you cannot figure this out for yourself dont own a car unless you have money for a mechanic 24/7 standby? lawlz!
Then again, dont even bother trying to figure out how to do an oil change! haha!
Old 11-20-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

I just purchase the entire blade frame and all. It is even easier to change than your DIY. lol.
Old 11-20-2007
Registered!!

are you for real?

not only would that cost more, being a 12.00 blade replacement...
buying the whole thing would cost alot more and no...not easier
cuz then it would mean actually using a tool (open end) and line it
up on the spline.

not so smart matt!
Old 11-20-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Dude, you are jumping off the handle.

Not the arm just the blade.

WOW, get a grip.
Old 11-20-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I just replace the whole blade each time as well. Much easier. But it looks like it's not possible with the 8th gen, IDK.
Old 11-20-2007
Registered!!

No, im not jumping off the handle matt...

2 things you can do to replace the 8th Gen wiper blades:

A. Replace the rubber blade only which slides out from the arm.
B. The entire assembly which ill assume will run at approx 80.00 /Ea

Old 03-12-2008
Registered!!

pokemon is an unknown quantity at this point

I have same problem removing the blade cover. No matter how much I squeeze, the thing just won't move. Anyone has any suggestion so I don't break the thing.
Old 09-17-2008
Registered!!

OrganizedChaos is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Wiper Blade Replacement - how?

I know this is an old thread, BUT, it amazed me at how "Intelligent" the design of this blade was....., so much that when I had to replace my girls Blades, it's clean design stumped me..., so I googled it and ended up here....
Now for starters..., at a glance it is hard to figure out...., and Looking at the DIY by FGCOUPE, sorry bro' but your ability to convey the message isn't clear at all..., After about an hour of trying to follow your directions, attempt after attempt, I decided to just STARE AT IT and figure the $h!t out for myself...
First of all, nothing has to be removed other than the blade insert itself...
The arm is covered with a rubber cover which is ONE PIECE, top and sides. The end of the arm has a SOFT AND FLEXIBLE portion so by simply pulling the end up with your thumb, it lifts to expose the tracks.
You'll feel the softer part of the Rubber arm's end which exposes the track and it will be obvious what to do when you feel it...

Simply Pull out the Old Blade,

Take out the Metal Inserts....

Put the Metal Inserts into your new blades.....

and slide them in...

HERE IS THE COMMON SENSE BUT YET TRICKY PART...!!!!

Look carefully at your new blades, the blades have grooves or guides, whatever you wanna call them that allow the blades to be placed (SLID) into the arms...

ONE END OF THE REPLACEMENT BLADES ARE SQUARE, THE OTHER END IS SHAPED LIKE THE LETTER " I "...

Do not lead with the square end.... it won't cooperate....
The grooves in the sides of the replacement wiper blades DO NOT extend all the way to the "Square" end. (which makes it impossible to load the wiper blade into the arm if you start from this side...)

The grooves in the wiper blade STARTS on the side that Looks like the letter " I " which allows the blade to simply slide into the arm's tracks...

IF YOU TRY TO SLIDE THE BLADE IN BACKWARDS, IT WILL NOT ONLY BE VERY DIFFICULT, BUT YOU WILL RIP YOUR NEW BLADES TO SHREDS AND END UP ORDERING NEW ONES.

Ain't this whole thing funny..???
I couldn't figure it out at first, tried to follow this Thread and DIY instructions...
Wasted an hour and a half trying to understand what you all were talking about...
Stared and fondled the arms and blades until it looked like a felony..
Then found that it was easier to stare at it logically than try to understand what was going on here.....
Hopefully the next person that googles "Honda Civic Wiper Blade Replacement" and ends up here has an easier time understanding how we figured out the Advanced Rocket Science of Wiper Blades - 101.
Wait till ya'll SEE how easy it is to replace these civic wiper blades. It's cheap, it's simple, and it's so dam easy, I feel like an idiot for taking more than 5 minutes of my life to install it...

Last edited by OrganizedChaos; 09-17-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

great first post!
Old 11-24-2008
Registered!!

Mattrx is an unknown quantity at this point

I needed to replace my wiper blades too - but have the 2008 Civic. It does not have the plastic end caps you mentioned above.

The instruction manual has a very helpful step-by-step to replace, it only took about 10 minutes to have them all done.

I ordered replacement blades online, I believe the total cost per set was 8.50. I used a flat screwdriver to pop up the clip on top of the head/arm, then slid the head down to unhook it, turn and pull off the head. Then you pull the blade out from one end of the head, pull out the 2 metal side supports, put them in the new blade, align the end with the tab catch as with the old ones, then slide the blade back into the head, then reinstall the head in opposite order of removal.

Have had the blades since purchase in January 2008 so wanted to change them prior to more winter here in Michigan.
Old 11-27-2008
Registered!!

jreagan is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow! I've wrenched on cars for years. I own 2 motorcycles. I grew up helping my Dad in his garage. I have an engineering degree from Purdue.

And I've just given up on replacing the blades.

I bought both replacement blades and replacement inserts online.

I couldn't get the caps off with a screwdriver, etc. All I ended up doing is scratching and distorting the cap and scraping myself.

I then went to see if I could just slide out the insert as described above. However, I couldn't figure out which END to peel back and remove the insert. I was able to peel back the end farthest from the end of the arm. I saw the end of the insert with the I-shape. It wouldn't pull out. It was just stretching. Did I need to pull out from the other end?

So I'm taking a break, enjoying some turkey, solve global warming, and then I'll head back down to the garage and look again.
Old 11-27-2008
Registered!!

jreagan is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking at the replacement inserts and re-reading OC's post, I figured out that the "bottom" end (the one closest to the hinge point) must be the one with the square end. So pulling back the rubber cover, I can feel the end of the insert (you can't see it when the blade is still attached to the arm since you can't get your head that far down). You have to tug hard as there are some detents somewhere along the insert. However, with the blade still on the arm, I'm not sure I can pull the whole insert out without bending the metal bands along the side of the insert. I'll look later when I'm "rested".

At least my CR-V doesn't have anything this weird.

Last edited by jreagan; 11-27-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-27-2008
Registered!!

penguix is an unknown quantity at this point

well i came across this thread googling as well... this POS engineering is pissing me off...not very japanese if you ask me [edit: oh, the blades are bosch. that explains it: unnecessarily complicated german engineering]

the first blade i got with no problem. the second blade took me 15min to get the stupid insert in because it wouldn't glide along the "track" smoothly, no matter which way I tried it. I had to move it like 1mm at a time. and then part of the end piece broke when I tried clicking it down...great.

now I can't get the f'in assemblies back on the wiper arms. the instruction manual says to just slide them in (just like how I slid them out with no problem), but no matter what angle I try, etc. I can't get it to fit in...wtf???

what's the secret?

Last edited by penguix; 11-27-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2008
Registered!!

preylude is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Just a quick note about wiper replacement from my experience. The wipers on my 2006 Civic were shot so I Googled to see the best approach. After seeing a widely mixed response on the difficulty, I decided to call up the dealer and see how much it would set me back to just go there and get it done.

The main points:
1. It's almost certain you only need the rubber wiper _inserts_, not the full blades
2. Most dealers will install them for free

Both inserts together cost me a grand total of $12.60 CDN including tax, and they took it into the bay on a very cold winter day and installed them for free.

15 minutes total from arrival at the dealership. No appointment required.

So if you want a no-hassle, cheap, quick fix, that's what I'd recommend
Old 02-08-2009
Registered!!

c_butrick is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2006 EX Sedan, I think that the manual is poorly written regarding the wiper blades, and Honda dropped the ball in designing them.

In taking the blades off, I found that it is more important to pull than it is to squeeze. I had to pull pretty hard. After I was able to get the assembly off, I wen't to O'Reilly's and picked up some Bosch blade replacements. They are WAY easier to install.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiper Blade Replacement - how?